Dawn vs Breakaway

megann831

We were on the Breakaway in Nov and I think I let some of the bad reviews get to me, but I did find the service to be terrible and it often seemed crowded. The impeccable service I'm used to on cruises was non existent. I also didn't care for the entertainment. I like a main show, not several options, none of which are all that impressive.

We're considering the Dawn for our next cruise. We did it years ago and enjoyed it. I'm sure it's been redone since then.

We'd be traveling with a 5 and 7 year old. We love the activities (rock climbing, zip lining, rope courses, pools, slides, eat) Do you think we'd enjoy the Dawn?

We were on the Breakaway in Nov and I think I let some of the bad reviews get to me, but I did find the service to be terrible and it often seemed crowded. The impeccable service I'm used to on cruises was non existent. I also didn't care for the entertainment. I like a main show, not several options, none of which are all that impressive.

What do you mean by "I like a main show, not several options, none of which are all that impressive?" The Rock of Ages and Burn the Floor are "main shows."

We're considering the Dawn for our next cruise. We did it years ago and enjoyed it. I'm sure it's been redone since then.

We'd be traveling with a 5 and 7 year old. We love the activities (rock climbing, zip lining, rope courses, pools, slides, eat) Do you think we'd enjoy the Dawn?

I've been on the Star, which is a Dawn class ship, a number of years ago. The ship was too small for my tastes. A Jewel class ship like the Gem, which sails out of NY, too, is like a bigger version of the Dawn class and I find it much nicer. It's ironic that you mention rock climbing, rope courses, and slides, because the Breakaway has all of these things. Rope course and rock climbing is non-existent on the Dawn and the water slides are poorly implemented on the older ships.

The Dawn is going in for a refurb in May 2016, so she'll be a bit updated but she's the same ship you were on before. There are no ziplines, rockwalls, slides, etc. The kids pool is small and has a couple slides there, but that's it. If you're looking to be constantly entertained you might be bored. We had lots of down time on the Dawn but we liked it. (Don't take my response the wrong way, we love the Dawn) The kids club is great on the Dawn. DD loved it both times she came with us. It's a small ship, so be prepared for lots of other people when you're at a show or dinner.