Bus from Canada Place to Victoria post cruise

janmcn

I understand there is bus service from Canada Place via the ferry to Victoria. Can anyone tell me where we pick it up exactly?

Any thoughts?

It leaves at 9:15 AM, so I figure we have to be Independent Travelers and get off ASAP.

All I see on pacificcoach.com is that it goes from the cruise terminal. If no one can report from experience, I'd give them a call. It just says Canada place terminal so my best guess is right out front. Will be more comforting to know for sure!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I understand there is bus service from Canada Place via the ferry to Victoria. Can anyone tell me where we pick it up exactly?

Any thoughts?

It leaves at 9:15 AM, so I figure we have to be Independent Travelers and get off ASAP.

As of January 31, 2016 Pacific Coach Lines no longer offers this service. The new service is by Wilson's http://bcfconnector.com/

I hope this helps. It used to be very easy to do - the coach was accessed in a departure area just past the luggage claim and customs. We "self disembarked" and had plenty of time to meet the coach rep. When I made the reservation, we were told where to meet and at what time. I doubt that the process is that different now. But I haven't had personal experience with the new providers! Hope you enjoy your visit to Victoria !

Any thoughts?

(seems I was typing same time as GeezLouise)

I did this a few years ago. Given that I was in the throes of H1N1 (I didn't know at the time) thanks to Princess with no hand washing stations, I am a little vague on exact logistics. I remember it wasn't too difficult and relatively well marked and there are people to ask. If you have Google Earth on your Google Maps, it is pretty much underneath the Pan Pacific Hotel. In fact, you can see roads along the pier and some shadows so you can tell it is a little underground. I don't think we were expecting it to be below street level, so do accept that is the correct area.

I was typing away discussing Pacific Coach Lines and wanted to give you a link, but I see they no longer provide the service. I see that you got the timing however, and the website doesn't have a map.

This page talks about arriving at the terminal, but perhaps you can mentally reverse things as it includes customs and immigration.

http://www.portvancouver.com/cruise/passenger-information/

(PS. I am a quilter too)

I just checked with the BC Ferries website and there is a bus from Downtown Vancouver to Downtown Victoria run by Willson, though it doesn't say where pickup is. They provided a phone number.

We will be doing something similar, but will be catching the local "Blue" bus to West Vancouver ferry terminal to the Island. Friends have said it is walkable from/to Canada Place to where we pick up the bus(we'll check that out when embarking!), and we won't have much luggage so it might be doable.

Linda

DOn't worry, I have the info on the bus (picks up at 9:15 at Canada Place on cruise days) but wasn't sure exactly where it might be...thought there might be someone who has done it. I'm familiar with the "underground" entrance there, so that is perhaps where it is...shall have to call and get more info.

No problem with getting the info...if people need it, here's the link

http://bcfconnector.com/travel-information/

The BCF Connector link provided by GeezLouise1 is the Wilson bus line site which includes a link to the page about the connection including Port of Vancouver (aka Canada Place). Remember, this is a seasonal service, so you might have to click the tab for dates from April to September (I am at work and I can't access that link from here for some reason - but I did review it yesterday). As it only runs once a day, then planning some alternative may work but it seems to be the same info and process as I described from PCL. I doubt they will change the set up much - they most likely have just changed the provider.

I am a Victoria gal and was just there in October as well as at conference at Canada Place. There are also hotel locations close to Canada Place you can get picked up at, though with much luggage, it is a bit of a trek as it is up hill.

Each to their own, but it should still be a feasible and simple process to pick up at the pier.

As mentioned above, the bus direct from Canada Place used to have a meeting place just past the customs exit. However with the renos at Canada Place last year, that space disappeared. There have been further adjustments to the layout at Canada Place this off season, so not sure where they would now set up a meeting place. I might be able to find out once the season starts up for real.

By the way, presume you know that the ferry from West Vancouver (Horseshoe Bay) does not go to the bottom point of Vancouver Island (Swartz Bay - the nearest ferry port for Victoria). Horseshoe Bay ferries go to Nanaimo (a point further north on the Island), some of the smaller islands between Vancouver and Vancouver Island, and the Sunshine Coast (further north on the mainland). To get to Swartz Bay (i.e., Victoria) you have to catch the ferry from Tsawwassen - which is south from Vancouver.

Tsawwassen can be reached from Vancouver (on transit) by using a combination of Skytrain and bus - and then bus from Swartz Bay to Victoria at the other end. The direct bus service, by whatever company is now running it, is in theory the most direct route.

PCL might still run from the main (Greyhound) bus/rail terminal to Victoria - I haven't heard that it doesn't. That main rail terminal is quite easy to get to from Canada Place - 4 stops on the skytrain and a 5 minute walk.

There has been recent talk (again) in the media about a company (or even two different ones) starting up a direct fast ferry service from downtown Vancouver to downtown Victoria (it's been tried before, but never stuck) - however when I last checked it was still just "talk", I haven't read anything confirming dates or plans.

Edited by westcoasttech

WestCoastTEch...

They do offer ONE bus/ferry service during cruise season that I'll be taking from Canada Place (thanks for letting us know about the changes there...so shall wait until just before...or when I'm there before the cruise to find the meeting place.)

It picks you up at Canada Place at 9:15, gets to the 11 Tsawassen ferry, and gets to Swartz Bay after 1...Our friends live near there, so I'll get off there but the bus continues into Victoria.

Thanks for reminding folks about the other ferries for anyone lurking here.

WestCoastTEch...

They do offer ONE bus/ferry service during cruise season that I'll be taking from Canada Place (thanks for letting us know about the changes there...so shall wait until just before...or when I'm there before the cruise to find the meeting place.)

It picks you up at Canada Place at 9:15, gets to the 11 Tsawassen ferry, and gets to Swartz Bay after 1...Our friends live near there, so I'll get off there but the bus continues into Victoria.

Thanks for reminding folks about the other ferries for anyone lurking here.

We live in Victoria and for our Alaska cruise we are cabbing it both ways from the Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal. We were thinking about the bus but the bus fare for two is just about the same as the taxi (I think it was about $37.50 each). Also I think you have to make a reservation with the bus. We can debark at our leisure and just get a taxi at Canada Place. Which ever way you arrive I hope you enjoy our beautiful city on the island:)

Clipper Vacations is starting a new Catamaran service between Vancouver and Victoria. It is supposed to start this spring. This is the company that now has service between Seattle and Victoria.

Although the ferry has arrived in Victoria, the service is not expected to start until spring of next year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/victoria-ferry-1.3535395

Christine, thanks for the thoughts about the taxi to the Tsawassen Ferry Terminal...I didn't think it would cost that little...I think you're right...we can easily make the 11 AM Ferry if we just take a taxi...no time problem...and if we don't make that one (for whatever reason) can take the next. We have friends picking us up at Swartz Bay.

Christine, thanks for the thoughts about the taxi to the Tsawassen Ferry Terminal...I didn't think it would cost that little...I think you're right...we can easily make the 11 AM Ferry if we just take a taxi...no time problem...and if we don't make that one (for whatever reason) can take the next. We have friends picking us up at Swartz Bay.

Actually a cab from Canada Place to Tsawassen is more like $90+ than $75 - and bear in mind that the traffic varies WILDLY! If you go straight there after disembarking on a weekday, there will only be one lane open through the tunnel due to using 3 of the 4 for inbound rushhour traffic until 9am or later (and all other routes are so much longer you might as well sit in traffic instead). Then you have to buy the ferry fare on top so it's going to cost you slightly more to do this with average traffic, and potentially MUCH more if you get stuck for a while, than the ~$58pp on the coach (direct from the cruise terminal; cheaper if you go from regular bus station).

What will save some is if you Skytrain to Bridgeport then take the bus to the ferry - but NB: lack of luggage space on the bus (Canada Line has plenty of space), or cab from Skytrain to the ferry if your luggage is too much to schlep (but NB: that cab fare from here is also at least $60).

Edited by martincath

• 1 month later...

So I asked at Canada Place about the meeting point for the direct bus from the cruise terminal to Victoria. Apparently the "meeting point" is now "somewhere close to the information desk" at Canada Place - a bit vague, I know, there appear to be no obvious markings or signs but there are various stanchioned off groups of people there every cruise day.

The information desk is to the left hand corner when you exit from the luggage pickup area - it's next to the luggage storage desk. I suggest you ask at the information desk as I'm sure they will know which group is the right group.

The website for BCFconnector does list one Canada Place pick up at 9:15 am arriving at Victoria at 1:20 pm. which is bookable. However it also mentions Ballentyne Pier, which doesn't exist anymore - which is a bit odd!!

Hope that helps...

Thanks for the up to date info. Information desk location is helpful since I understand there have been a lot of changes since we were there before. Not sure that we won't just take a cab, but this info helps. (Friends are meeting us when we get off at Swartz Bay.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app