RCI excursion kayak, hike, and snorkel in Cos Cay

BRCruiser08

I did this in September last year. 2 person kayak. Starts with your usual safety class then load up and kayak through the mangroves for 20 minutes very pretty and some stops to learn about them. Then kayak out into a more open area to get to cas. We snorkeled first when we got to the island and it's a feat reef they are trying to bring back but still OK. No fins provided and they make you wear you lifejacket for some reason. Hike through cas key is informative and the end is quite beautiful. The hermit crab race was not my thing but they did that too. Kayak back the way you came. Overall the no fin and life jacket snorkel could have been better but It's a bit of a swim to the main snorkel area. If you are doing it for the snorkel do something else if you like the nature aspect it was a great tour. I was thinking of doing it again with my daughter this time but she's not the best swimmer so probably skipping it.

I had not heard about the no fin/life jacket deal, but I have to wonder if the purpose is to reduce the damage standing up and/or kicking the marine environment. Many newbies to snorkeling do not realize they need to stay horizontal, and perhaps this helps them learn. :rolleyes:

The lagoon is shallow and calm compared to open ocean environments so fins not necessary. Life jackets required because of insurance. A few people have died on excursions where guests were not required to wear life jackets so this company is very safety conscious especially since their tours are sold as family friendly and are popular on Disney.

If you want something more "advanced" do a google search for snorkel tours.