NCL Room Upgrades

sdjoejoe

So, I read the forums quite a bit and I am wondering about the folks that say when they get to the cruise terminal they are offered an upgrade at no cost. I am interested in knowing if this happens quite a bit on cruises that aren't fully booked, or if it is just BS? I can certainly understand NCL seeing a nice couple walk up to get their room keys for their balcony cabin and a supervisor saying "we would like to set you up in a mini-suite", but I just didn't think it really happened. Do these upgrades really take place, and is there any reason for them that anyone knows of?

Thanks!

So, I read the forums quite a bit and I am wondering about the folks that say when they get to the cruise terminal they are offered an upgrade at no cost. I am interested in knowing if this happens quite a bit on cruises that aren't fully booked, or if it is just BS? I can certainly understand NCL seeing a nice couple walk up to get their room keys for their balcony cabin and a supervisor saying "we would like to set you up in a mini-suite", but I just didn't think it really happened. Do these upgrades really take place, and is there any reason for them that anyone knows of?

Thanks!

Its never happened to me or anyone I know!!

None of the people who check you in work for NCL, so they can't offer upgrades. Usually there are signs posted stating the cruise is sold out...or something like that. I have seen this even when the cruise was clearly not.

If you want an upgrade, best to try to arrange that through NCL before you get to the port.

Edited by drvalo

Went to the terminal having a mini-suite got upgraded at no charge at the terminal in Feb 2015 to A Haven suite.... Going on 14 day cruise in November and since Haven was so great will try to upgrade to Haven again even if it costs me...

When we were on BA in March upon entering the terminal in NYC..there was a nice woman dressed in all Blue pant suit holding a sign that said "Free Haven Upgrades" my wife grabbed my arm and said honey look at this fine lady wanting to grant free upgrades at the terminal...i looked at my DW and just smirked...shrugged my shoulders...and said "we already are booked in the Haven silly willy" and we just walked past her..

Best,

Mark