Keeping in touch with children at home!

aaw2407

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any experience with the best and cheapest way to keep in touch with kids or family members at home. My husband and I are leaving our 1 year old son with his grandma for the first time for our cruise and were thinking of getting an internet package to FaceTime, but we didn't know if that was the best route or maybe using the FunHubs would be better. We are sailing on the Breeze in about a week if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for your experiences!

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any experience with the best and cheapest way to keep in touch with kids or family members at home. My husband and I are leaving our 1 year old son with his grandma for the first time for our cruise and were thinking of getting an internet package to FaceTime, but we didn't know if that was the best route or maybe using the FunHubs would be better. We are sailing on the Breeze in about a week if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for your experiences!

Video programs like Face-time are blocked on many ships because they are traffics hogs. The best is find free internet in the ports and then do face time home.

You can buy the Internet package on the breeze and it is supposed to allow you to Skype and FaceTime. But I could never get it to work on the Breeze to call home and they refunded half the cost of the package.

I suggest to check with your provider and get an international cruise plan so you can have less expensive minutes to call home with, or wait until your in port to try and FaceTime as well. Last cruise I thought hey I don't need that cruise phone plan since I will just call home for a few minutes :) well what would have cost me $30 ended up being an extra $90 bill....whoops lesson learned.

Buy the social package for $5 a day and use Facebook messenger. I think that would be the cheapest route.

And that will allow you to talk to each other on the ship too.

The social media package is one of the best deals at sea. My sister and I used it to keep in touch with family and it was awesome. I highly recommend the app "What's App", which is included with the social media package. It's great for messaging, even pics, and can make calls. The other really neat feature is that you can record your voice and send it, which is nice for hearing loved ones actually speaking. This is one advantage over FB messenger.

Social media package...

Through Carnival?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is copied from Carnival website site......

We offer three different types of plans that can be purchased for either a 24 hour period or for the entire length of the cruise at a discount - price for voyage plans vary by length of cruise:

Social*($5*USD*per day) – Access*the most popular websites and applications. Includes:*Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. Does not*include access to other websites or apps.Value*($16*USD*per day) – Surf all your favorite sites, including e-mail, news, sports, weather, banking and finance. Note: Does not support*Skype calling or*music streaming (such as Spotify).Premium*($25*USD*per day) – From e-mail to Skype, our Premium plan promises the fastest possible connection, at speeds up to 3 times faster than our Value Plan. Supports*Skype video calling, where coverage allows.

Using your cell phone on board seems to be $2.50 a minute. At least for my AT&T phone, I could not find any package that was cheaper. Maybe your luck will be different if you have a different carrier. The phone in your cabin is $1.99 a minute.

The social package $5 a day or $25 for a seven day cruise and facebook messenger is a much cheaper alternative. But you'll have to get grandma on facebook.

I wouldn't count on any sort of video calling working onboard.

The social package is probably your best bet for on the ship. We left our kids with grandparents for two weeks in Feb. I got the premium internet plan and it was useless for skype, and facetime was blocked. The social plan will at least enable to you send pictures via the social apps.

We made a point to find wifi in every port and facetime from there. Some ports that's easier than others, but it helps to do a little research before you go. Also ask the crew, they will usually know the way to the best free wifi spots. The trick is finding somewhere quiet. Many bars will offer free wifi, but blaring music and crowds will make it difficult to converse.

I joked with my wife about how we weren't really "getting away" from the kids if she was going to obsess about finding wifi to call them, but there was no talking her down. Our kids are older though... I can definitely see you wanting to see your baby's face.

Good luck!

Is the social package $5/day per device?

You can use the package (any of the packages, actually) on one device at a time. You can switch between devices, you just have to go through the log in process on the device you want to use. It uses the folio number associated with your sign and sail account.

This is the best and cheapest method.

Not true...Communicate for free using Carnival's forums board!

Yes, if you're onboard and want to to text without cost, the cruiser and the kiddies at home can both register on Carnivals forums board called "FUNVILLE."

--------------------------

Looks like this: Under PLAN drop down TAB: FUNVILLE Home > Share > Forums > Currently Onboard

Choose a common name....Like eq. "MOM AND DAD ON VICTORY"... id-ing yourselves to each other, then post back and forth just like any other TEXT THREAD.

Check it out:

http://secure.carnival.com/Funville/...0/2011083.aspx

CARNIVAL SHIPS ALLOW YOU TO ACCESS THEIR HOME SITE WHILE ON-BOARD!

Mike

Yes, if you're onboard and want to to text without cost, the cruiser and the kiddies at home can both register on Carnivals forums board called "FUNVILLE."

Looks like this: Under PLAN drop down TAB: FUNVILLE Home > Share > Forums > Currently Onboard

Choose a common name....Like eq. "MOM AND DAD ON VICTORY"... id-ing yourselves to each other, then post back and forth just like any other TEXT THREAD.

Check it out:

Mike

Cheaper? Yes. Better? Not so much. For one, all your participants need accounts on Carnival's forums. That in itself is not as easy as Facebook messenger. And the conversations you have on those forums are totally public.

Yes, get the social package. We left my son with his grandma and it was great to use Facebook Messenger to talk to each other. We also had grandma post pics of our son so that we could see that he was okay, having fun, etc. We sent them pics of us too so that my son could see us. Worked great!

Edited by hpugirl27

I understand the whole social package thing and FB messenger, but what if you actually want to call home and talk to your kids? My youngest is 6 and I would like to call and speak to him for a few minutes a day.

Check it out:

Mike

Be sure to give us a link to your thread so we can all say hi too. :p

I understand the whole social package thing and FB messenger, but what if you actually want to call home and talk to your kids? My youngest is 6 and I would like to call and speak to him for a few minutes a day.

The cheapest option I found if you want to do this at sea is to call from your cabin at $1.99 a minute. Cell phones, as far as I could find, are going to be $2.50 a minute or more. If you're in or near a US port, you're on your regular plan. So, if you stop in San Juan, you're on your regular plan. In non-US ports you would be dealing with international roaming. But there seems to be plenty of wifi options in port, so sign up for skype, get the app on your phone and use that in port. I don't think it will work on the ship, though, unless you choose the top end wifi package. Even then, the latency will be a killer.

Would iMessage work on iPhone? When in airplane mode and connected to wifi?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, I used iMessage on my last cruise without any problems. Just make sure you are sending those and not a normal text. Sometimes the phone likes to play tricks on me and send a text instead. So I just make sure it is blue :)

• 3 weeks later...

Check it out:

Mike

I just got an email yesterday from Carnival informing me that they are closing funville forums. They said it seems as though most users like other social sites and suggested going to their Facebook or Twitter page instead.