How does anytime dining work on carnival?

cbowls30

Hi, traveling on vista in June (first carnival cruise for us) and we were wondering how the anytime dining will work? I can't see anywhere to reserve any times (as we have done before on other cruise lines) when we were on RCI last year people just turining up for a table were queuing for sometimes nearly an hour??! Don't really want to do that, how does it normally work on carnival? Thanks

you report in to the dining desk on Deck 5 (for Horizons MDR for Europe cruises) and they will give you a buzzer. There is a bar inside the restaurant that you can wait there and have some cocktails. We have always had YTD and I have never waited more that a couple minutes (and we usually keep requesting the same table so we can have the same wait staff). We generally go around 6 to 6:30 pm and I have noticed some lines of people waiting to sit when we are leaving.

It really depends on the time you go and what the wait will be. I travel solo, but if friends are cruising, we arrange to meet at a certain spot, usually when ATD begins. We have never waited and never had a buzzer.

Carnival does not take reservations. If you go at a prime time dinner hour, or there are more than two of you, than you might get a buzzer and have a wait.

John Heald mentioned in a video for dining that you need to go to the Java Cafe on deck 5 and get a buzzer there.

I cant figure out why they decided to do this. I have a feeling, with enough complaints, it will eventually be changed (but I could be wrong).

John Heald mentioned in a video for dining that you need to go to the Java Cafe on deck 5 and get a buzzer there.

I cant figure out why they decided to do this. I have a feeling, with enough complaints, it will eventually be changed (but I could be wrong).

Why would there be complaints? It's a very efficient system.

By checking in on deck 5 to get your buzzer, you reduce the bottleneck at the restaurant caused by people going to check in and leave again so all the people in line at the restaurant are already ready to be seated.

Perfect system!

I don't know that there will be many complaints either. Your choice is to stand in line waiting or go check in a deck above and get a buzzer if you're not immediately seated.

Once you get your buzzer, Ocean Plaza, Red Frog Pub and Alchemy aren't far away. I'm sure they put check in here as now if you want you can get a pre-dinner drink and wait in comfort on the Promenade deck. It also helps Carnival in the fact it's you going to get the drink instead of them bringing it to you. At least the cruises I've been on getting a drink once seating in the MDR has been hit or miss and even when I order one getting it can be an adventure.

t