Wheelchair assistance at Red Hook

calikak

My family and I will be sailing from Red Hook in August and I'm wondering about whether wheelchair assistance is available. I have incurable cancer, and standing for long periods of time is hard for me due to fatigue from my treatments. I'll be able to handle walking around the ship, since I can rest as needed, but long lines at check in would be difficult for me. Is wheelchair assistance something I need to arrange in advance, or is it readily available at the pier?

My family and I will be sailing from Red Hook in August and I'm wondering about whether wheelchair assistance is available. I have incurable cancer, and standing for long periods of time is hard for me due to fatigue from my treatments. I'll be able to handle walking around the ship, since I can rest as needed, but long lines at check in would be difficult for me. Is wheelchair assistance something I need to arrange in advance, or is it readily available at the pier?

It should be booked in advance to ensure you won' t be waiting for an attendant and chair. The people I have spoken with who needed assistance requested it in advance. I am not saying you won't get the required assistance without requesting it in advance, but there could be a delay if the available staff and chairs are assisting those who requested it.

Assistance is also provided at disembarkation, of course. I have seen quite a few shore staff with wheelchairs gather near the Chart Room after docking at Southampton.

When my daughter, son and I (with a cane) came in the door at Red Hook last October, a man immediately came over to us with a wheelchair and offered help.

We accepted and he "loaded" me up and the 4 of us went to use the elevator to the upstairs area.

My daughter and I are Diamond, which may have helped but we were through the check-in line in record time and he took us all the way to our cabin.

He had a wonderful personality and he was tipped generously for his help.

My cane had disappeared in the confusion but another staff member returned it to me a day later after I reported the missing cane to the purser's desk.

Love Cunard!

Edited by eatsallinsects
title with incorrect spelling

When my daughter, son and I (with a cane) came in the door at Red Hook last October, a man immediately came over to us with a wheelchair and offered help.

We accepted and he "loaded" me up and the 4 of us went to use the elevator to the upstairs area.

My daughter and I are Diamond, which may have helped but we were through the check-in line in record time and he took us all the way to our cabin.

He had a wonderful personality and he was tipped generously for his help.

My cane had disappeared in the confusion but another staff member returned it to me a day later after I reported the missing cane to the purser's desk.

Love Cunard!