Trip insurance cancel foe any reason

spleenstomper

I'm a big believer in trip insurance, and I always purchase it. I decline it through Carnival and I buy it through Insure my trip.

I was working on this tonight and I noticed that all the plans I compared only cover 50-75% of trip coverage and the fine print says "certain conditions must be met."

One of those conditions for cancel for any reson is "trip cannot be cancelled within 2 days of departure."

I don't recall this last time we purchased insurance.

The live chat rep said this rider is the largest risk for the underwriter because most trips are cancelled for unforseen illness, injury or death. He said the "within 2 day" specification is industry standard.

Does anyone have any clue if Carnival's inaurance has this spec? I will call tomorrow, but just wanted to throw it out there and ask of anyone knows of a plan that covers cancel up to day of trip?

Thanks!!

Edited by spleenstomper

I never heard of this and we've carried different insurances for cruising for over thirty years. Had to cancel only once due to unexpected emergency surgery 4 days in advance but I can tell you one thing...we worked once! with a travel agent who insisted we purchase insurance when we purchased the trip (NOT paid in full for). Had to cancel of family reasons and Holland America through which we purchased the insurance would not round over 900$.

Since working with another agent for 15 years we DO NOT need to purchase insurance until final payment!!!!

Beware!!!

Lynne

I'm a big believer in trip insurance, and I always purchase it. I decline it through Carnival and I buy it through Insure my trip.

I was working on this tonight and I noticed that all the plans I compared only cover 50-75% of trip coverage and the fine print says "certain conditions must be met."

One of those conditions for cancel for any reson is "trip cannot be cancelled within 2 days of departure."

The live chat rep said this rider is the largest risk for the underwriter because most trips are cancelled for unforseen illness, injury or death. He said the "within 2 day" specification is industry standard.

Does anyone have any clue if Carnival's inaurance has this spec? I will call tomorrow, but just wanted to throw it out there and ask of anyone knows of a plan that covers cancel up to day of trip?

Thanks!!

I know. I wondered if our old policies had this, but I do read the fine print and I do not recall seeing this before.

Let me ask you this: do you cover only the cruise price, the cruise price with the tips included, or the cruise, tips and excursions? DH asked this tonight and I wasn't sure. I usually do just the cost of the cruise: not sure if there is any benefit to doing the other amounts?

Thanks!

All CFAR policies have the 48 hour qualifier to include Carnival.

Also qualifier is 48 before "Trip" begins.

Is that 48 hours before the ship pulls from the dock? Or 48 hours from the time you lock your front door? I suspect the front door.

Yes, most CFAR riders only cover anywhere from 50% to 75%. Consumer has to have some skin in the game.

Carnivals CFAR is 75% as a future cruise credit.

I only know of the Princess Platinum policy which refunds 100%

Thanks!!

We use military USA__, cancel for any reason is pretty expensive. Never purchase, we are 75 YO, and would only cancel for health (1 time) or other covered reason.

I know. I wondered if our old policies had this, but I do read the fine print and I do not recall seeing this before.

Let me ask you this: do you cover only the cruise price, the cruise price with the tips included, or the cruise, tips and excursions? DH asked this tonight and I wasn't sure. I usually do just the cost of the cruise: not sure if there is any benefit to doing the other amounts?

Thanks!

I get the quote for anything I would not be able to recover. No point in covering tips since you would never pay those in the event of a cancelled cruise. I assume they would be refunded if pre-paid, even in the cruise was not. Excursions is probably a "depends": some 3rd party excursions are able to be cancelled provided it's in advance. In those cases they would not be covered anyway.

Though honestly, I don't worry about the fins details too much. I get insurance to cover major medical and possible evacuation. Things that could cost $10k, $20k, $30k. I have paid for several cruises over in buying insurance over the last number of years. It is generally a bad bet to worry about the small costs, including the cost of the cruise itself in most case, but while you are at it you may as well cover what you can.

Airfare is an interesting case since we frequently book with points. With Southwest there is no penalty when booking with point as long as you cancel in advance, so no need to cover that. Even a cash booking can be refunded as a credit, though it has to be used in a given timeframe. I suspect insurance would not pay on that either. For the other carriers (AA, for instance) there is a substantial penalty for cancelling a points booking. Something like $75 per ticket, which would be worth including in the calculation.

I have never noticed the 2 day cancel provision either.

Edited by mikesteg

Thanks!

in the request for quote, i include anything for which i have to pay prior to the cruise, such as shuttle and excursions. i had to use the insurance during the infamous swine flu and they wanted receipts.

All CFAR policies have the 48 hour qualifier to include Carnival.

Also qualifier is 48 before "Trip" begins.

Is that 48 hours before the ship pulls from the dock? Or 48 hours from the time you lock your front door? I suspect the front door.

Yes, most CFAR riders only cover anywhere from 50% to 75%. Consumer has to have some skin in the game.

Carnivals CFAR is 75% as a future cruise credit.

I only know of the Princess Platinum policy which refunds 100%

front door on mine.

Policies offer widely varying "Cancel for Any Reason Coverage" and you have to read the Policies closely wrt this coverage. Coverage is usually NOT the 100% that you "assume", but may vary from 50% to 90% and may vary from 50% to 90% depending on when you cancel, and generally you can't cancel at the very last minute. AND you usually have top purchase within 14-21 days of Cruise booking and the added premium can approach added 50%. Ken

Edited by Ken076

Airfare is an interesting case since we frequently book with points. With Southwest there is no penalty when booking with point as long as you cancel in advance, so no need to cover that. Even a cash booking can be refunded as a credit, though it has to be used in a given timeframe. I suspect insurance would not pay on that either. For the other carriers (AA, for instance) there is a substantial penalty for cancelling a points booking. Something like $75 per ticket, which would be worth including in the calculation.

I had to cancel a Journey cruise (and missed out on that awesome VIFP price offer) and I had airfare on Jetblue and Southwest. While I knew I would use the Southwest ticket, I wasn't sure about Jetblue. I left it off my claim but my representative said that if I don't end up using it, to call them back and they will amend the claim and send me the money for that ticket. I thought that was pretty awesome!

I hope you all have assumed that it is killing me that I can't fix the title. My ipad is on the fritz.

I am enjoying and appreciating the discussion; thanks for the added information.

I did not work in insurance today, as I remembered we are going camping tomorrow! Lots to do.

Please keep adding information! I really appreciate it.