Adventure B2B Trip & Ultimate Beach Review 4/16/16 - 4/30/16 (photo bomb)!!!

Yeah, only the final sea day brought all the people out of hiding.

We did a 14 day princess cruise to Hawaii and there were so many scooters on board I wanted to organize races...

True Story: On that 12 day cruise, the scooters were parked bumper to bumper in every hall way at "night" (aka just before our late seating at dinner). :eek:

Basseterre, St. Kitts (Day 10/3):

17°17'31" N 62°43'22" W

Monday_zpsz8dsjire.png

St.%20Kitts%201_zpsv2pezfaf.png

St.%20Kitts%202_zpskl5nulgg.png

We awoke to a beautiful, yet hot day in St. Kitts.

Breakfast_zps5c5yfzmo.png

After a little breakfast at the Windjammer, we went ashore. Note that the three major food groups are well represented - coffee, Bloody Mary, and sausage.

Adventure_zpsp1wk8k0z.png

Here's a bit of aft, for those who like that kinda thing. Who doesn't like to see some aft? I know I could stand to see a little more...

South Friars Beach:

17°16'31" N 62°40'43" W

Carambola%20Beach%20Club_zpssao19sgi.png

We headed to South Friar's Beach, where there is the nice beach club. The taxi was $15 round trip per couple or $8 per person. Padded loungers in the shade (under the tent) were $10 each.

South%20Friars%202_zpsmanx0gna.png

South%20Friars%203_zpsubq64tgr.png

South%20Friars%204_zpsmznlql2u.png

South%20Friars%201_zpshoye76xt.png

The beach itself was quite good despite a few flaws. The sand had a very high shell fragment concentration, which made it a little rough. It was also blazingly hot. Those not sitting right by the water had to either wear shoes or run to avoid burning their feet. However, the water was beautiful and nicely cool. There were some waves, which I enjoy. But those who like calm waters might not feel the same. There were some small pieces of seaweed, but not enough to be a problem. Overall, one of the better beaches.

Mojito_zpsbqr7yj6e.png

I did a Mojito, which was awesome - they balanced the sugar and lime just right.

Caribbean%20Conch_zpswjjd9fws.png

Then I had the Caribbean Conch, which was quite good and very spicy. I think SolsticeAZ made the best lunch choice with the Jerk Chicken Wrap (no pic). It was amazing.

Lunch%20View_zpscrthtsgu.png

The view from our table could have been worse.

Overall, I think South Friar's Beach is an excellent choice if you ever go to St. Kitt's.

Sunset_zpsgsncoxwh.png

As usual, the clouds did not cooperate at sunset, but it was still pretty good.

Original%20Mai%20Thai_zpshufdwhb5.png

Before dinner, I had the Original Mai Thai, a very fine drink.

Raspberry%20Old%20Fashioned_zpse7qx8xo7.png

And I followed it up with a Raspberry Old Fashioned. This is an outstanding drink!

Antipasti_zpsvpudhmlo.png

At dinner, I started with a Antipasti, which was very good.

Caesar%20Salad_zpsx1syak8p.png

Then I followed that up with the Caesar Salad. I don't know what was the issue last week, but this week it was as good as I remembered and of a proper size.

Lasagne_zpsvk5df3po.png

For my main, I did the Lasagne, which was amazing but very heavy and rich. The beschamel sauce on the side did not make it any lighter.

70s%20Night_zpsl2cfofwu.png

It was 70's night, which meant a giant 70's music party on the Promenade.

Something%20Fruity%201_zpsc4o8svtb.png

Something%20Fruity%202_zpsmojf0mtb.png

Later on at the Champagne Bar, SolsticeAZ and I did "something fruity". Both were different, but excellent.

We're getting close to the end for beaches. Here's how they are doing so far:

1. Magen's Bay, St. Thomas

2. Reduit Beach, St. Lucia

3. South Friar's Beaxh, St. Kitts

4. Grand Anse Beach, Grenada

5. Rainbow Beach, St. Croix

6. Cane Bay, St. Croix

7. Valley Church Beach, Antigua (rain)

St. Maarten is up next. One of my favorites (and everyone else's, apparently)...

enjoying your review very much. We head out on our b2b next week Friday. We are on the "final countdown". Just think of the song or the Geico commercial.:D

You are keeping track of your beaches......what are you favorite top 5-8 drinks you had on board?

thanks

I think I may vote for the South Friars Beach and Carambola Beach Club!

From your pics it looks like a very nice place. Almost went there our last time in St. Kitts. However, a trip to Nevis by sailboat was on our Bucket List.

All of your beach trips look great and I am keeping a record for upcoming trips. I think our favorite beaches on our trips (so far) have been Aruba (no hot sand) and Trunk Bay in St. John's.

Still haven't done a B2B yet. Another item on the Bucket List! You have provided excellent information.

enjoying your review very much. We head out on our b2b next week Friday. We are on the "final countdown". Just think of the song or the Geico commercial.:D

You are keeping track of your beaches......what are you favorite top 5-8 drinks you had on board?

thanks

I'm glad you are enjoying and jealous that you are about to start a B2B!!! :)

I love that commercial.

Top 6 Drinks on Adventure (#1 being best):

6. BLT Mary

5. Bramble

4. Espresso Martini (not on menu)

3. Original Recipe Mai Thai

2. Raspberry Old Fashioned

1. Spicy Cucumber and Basil Martini with Sriracha (not on menu)

I think I may vote for the South Friars Beach and Carambola Beach Club!

From your pics it looks like a very nice place. Almost went there our last time in St. Kitts. However, a trip to Nevis by sailboat was on our Bucket List.

All of your beach trips look great and I am keeping a record for upcoming trips. I think our favorite beaches on our trips (so far) have been Aruba (no hot sand) and Trunk Bay in St. John's.

Still haven't done a B2B yet. Another item on the Bucket List! You have provided excellent information.

South Friars was a great beach. I highly recommend it.

I haven't been to Aruba or Trunk Bay, but both are Bucket List items for me.

I'm glad you are liking the review!! :D

Philpsburg, St. Maarten (Day 11/4):

18°0'50" N 63°2'45" W

Tuesday_zpszmvejc84.png

St.%20Maarten%201_zpsc1rjuswk.png

St.%20Maarten%202_zps42bp7ajp.png

It was a beautiful day in St. Maarten, but a bit cloudy early on.

Ships_zpsbotoiz6s.png

The NCL Gem was also in port.

Port%20Area_zpsgyg47hax.png

The port area.

Taxi%20Prices_zps1uipripz.png

At the port area, they had taxi stands for each of the beaches. After waiting about 15 minutes and watching 6 cabs leave for Orient Beach, we headed out of the port area and caught a taxi outside the port. It was the same price and the driver came to pick us up whenever we wanted.

Dawn Beach:

18°3'7" N 63°0'58" W

Dawn%20Beach%201_zpsbsyw2epj.png

Dawn%20Beach%202_zpskfp5uthu.png

Dawn%20Beach%203_zpsqeeqk0ui.png

Dawn%20Beach%204_zpsjkrhwur4.png

Dawn Beach was simply beautiful. There was some seaweed in the water and on the sand, but otherwise, this beach is pretty awesome. Since it is on the Atlantic side, you get some waves and the water is wonderfully cool. Probably the best part is that it is rarely crowded. Two loungers and an umbrells was $12. They sell 7 oz. Amstel Bright beers for $1 each. That's $1 US for a beer!!

Mr.%20Busbys_zpszkd6hedh.png

Mr. Busby's is the local restaurant, which becomes Daniel's by the Sea at night (a top-notch Italian place).

Rum%20Punch_zpsxri9avjp.png

I had a righteous Rum Punch that was nice and strong. I think that if Rum Punch can't double as a general aesthetic, they made it wrong.

Half%20Chicken_zpsljbwkd3m.png

For lunch, I did the Half Chicken special. It was amazing! Some of the best chicken I've ever had.

Lunch%20View_zpsffnlng0m.png

And the view from the table didn't suck either.

BLT%20Mary_zpsyafbgrgf.png

Back on board, I found the mythical Bloody Mary at the Duck & Dog, excuse me the "Dodge, Dip, Dive, Duck, and Dog". It turns out, they call it the BLT Mary. By far, one of the best Bloody Mary's I've every had. Bacon! Need I say more? It was fantastic with my cigar up on the Pool Deck.

Sunset_zps6tsvtvjf.png

Another great sunset with the NCL Gem sailing away.

Campari%20Spritzer_zpswes0iy8c.png

My pre-dinner cocktail was a Campari Spritzer (not on the menu), which was a delicious way to start an Italian-themed evening.

Stay tuned for dinner and the late night antics on board...

I'm glad you are enjoying and jealous that you are about to start a B2B!!! :)

I love that commercial.

Top 6 Drinks on Adventure (#1 being best):

6. BLT Mary

5. Bramble

4. Espresso Martini (not on menu)

3. Original Recipe Mai Thai

2. Raspberry Old Fashioned

1. Spicy Cucumber and Basil Martini with Sriracha (not on menu)

what is a Bramble and what is the liquor in the Spicy Cucumber (gin or vodka)?

thanks!

what is a Bramble and what is the liquor in the Spicy Cucumber (gin or vodka)?

thanks!

Spicy Cucumber is made with Grey Goose vodka.

Bramble is lemon juice, simple syrup, gin, creme de mure.

I've got pictures of the R-Bar menus, just haven't processed and posted them yet. It explains what's in all the drinks. :D

Spicy Cucumber is made with Grey Goose vodka.

Bramble is lemon juice, simple syrup, gin, creme de mure.

I've got pictures of the R-Bar menus, just haven't processed and posted them yet. It explains what's in all the drinks. :D

Hendrick's in the Bramble?:D

Love your review.

B2B cruises are great. We did one out of San Juan five years ago on the Serenade.

We leave on the Adventure June 25th for St. Maarten and the ABC Islands. I wish we doing a B2B again, but that will have to wait until retirement in two years.

The drinks you describe are great. It's tempting me to purchase the drink package, but I don't think either my wife or I would come close to making it worthwhile. We do have $450.00 of cruise credit so we can experiment a little.

We do love wine pairing dinners and your description of the Chefs Table has convinced me to give it a try.

Dawn Beach:

18°3'7" N 63°0'58" W

Rum%20Punch_zpsxri9avjp.png

I had a righteous Rum Punch that was nice and strong. I think that if Rum Punch can't double as a general aesthetic, they made it wrong.

You are correct Sir. In Jamaica I have learned to use them for jellyfish stings, coral burns, or sea urchin punctures. Then drink the unused portions or vice versa.

Love your review.

B2B cruises are great. We did one out of San Juan five years ago on the Serenade.

We leave on the Adventure June 25th for St. Maarten and the ABC Islands. I wish we doing a B2B again, but that will have to wait until retirement in two years.

The drinks you describe are great. It's tempting me to purchase the drink package, but I don't think either my wife or I would come close to making it worthwhile. We do have $450.00 of cruise credit so we can experiment a little.

We do love wine pairing dinners and your description of the Chefs Table has convinced me to give it a try.

Thank you so much!! I'm glad you are enjoying. :)

Yea, you have to be a drinker to make the package work economically on a cruise like this with only one sea day. Last year, I did a 15 night Panama Canal cruise with only 6 ports of call, easy peasy. ;)

Chef's Table is really worth while if you enjoy wine.

You are correct Sir. In Jamaica I have learned to use them for jellyfish stings, coral burns, or sea urchin punctures. Then drink the unused portions or vice versa.

Rum Punch! Is there anything it can't do??? :D

At Magen's Bay, they had the orange and guava juice pre-mixed in a bottle. The bartender would up end three bottles to make the punch - one light rum, one dark rum, and the mixer. 2/3 rum will cure what ails you!!