Odd?

Andoria

I was on the Pride last week and I was part of a family of 5. I didn't contact the maitre'd beforehand because I just assumed that we'd have our own table.

I was wrong and they ended up by putting a man in his 60(?)'s at our table. The man ended up by being very nice but I'm nearly antisocial. I found it very awkward and skipped eating in the dining room most nights.

If you want a special request, like dining with just your family, you need to make that request. They can't read minds.

How was the rest of your trip?

That's good to know.

Trip was fun but not my favorite. I mostly blame poor planning on my part. I thought I would be an experienced cruiser by now but I was wrong.

I can understand your surprise. We're a family of five and almost always have been given our own table, either a table designed for six or a table for four with an extra chair. Once, we shared a table for ten with another family, which worked fine. But putting just one person with a family would be awkward for everyone.

I was on the Pride last week and I was part of a family of 5. I didn't contact the maitre'd beforehand because I just assumed that we'd have our own table.

I was wrong and they ended up by putting a man in his 60(?)'s at our table. The man ended up by being very nice but I'm nearly antisocial. I found it very awkward and skipped eating in the dining room most nights.

We requested a table for two when we booked. When we arrived for dinner the first night of our cruise last week, the waiter directed us to a table of 8. As we approached, we stopped the waiter and said we had requested a table for 2.

Talked the Asst. Maitre'D and was told that the ship only receives the number of people and the time. They do not receive any requests.

Therefore, it is wise to check in with the dining room to ensure that you are at a table you wish to be at. If not, put in a request. We were given a table for 2 a couple of days later, and the staff were very accommodating and were able to sit us at a table for 2 that first night as well.

The only thing is that we didn't get a chance to "gel" with our waiter/bar attendant like we usually do. This was do to moving tables and going to the steakhouse/chef's table, during our cruise.

The Fun Times you receive in your cabin on embarkation day will show the time the maitre'd is available to take requests that day. Just show up and inquire about where you've been seated and with whom (if anyone).

If you have scheduled time dining, I always recommend taking advantage of being able to visit the dining room during the first day prior to sailing, checking out your table assignment, and discussing any needs or request with the maitre d' or their designee. The times one can do this are listed in the Fun Times.

I do this every time and every request I had has been met. Probably because it is the way Carnival requests I handle it. I do not bother with sending a Facebook message to John Heald or sending a email to the maitre d' on the ship requesting a table next to a window because I am celebrating that my dog just had puppies.

I can understand your surprise. We're a family of five and almost always have been given our own table, either a table designed for six or a table for four with an extra chair. Once, we shared a table for ten with another family, which worked fine. But putting just one person with a family would be awkward for everyone.

It never even crossed my mind that they would. I would think it would be the most awkward for the lone person who doesn't know anyone.

Seriously though, I have no complaints about the person who sat at our table. Any awkwardness I felt was due to me being an odd duck.

Next time I'll check the Fun Times!