27 waterfalls

angiem0217

My daughter and I are doing this in a couple of weeks. I booked with Marysol tours due to high ratings here and on Trip Advisor. He even added lunch for an extra $ 10 each. If I survive, I will post how it was when we get back. :eek:

Yes please do and post some pictures. We are going in August and would love to know how you liked it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by angiem0217

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone done this? Is it best to book a tour? Or just take a cab? How far is it from the cruise terminal?

We were staying at an All Inclusive resort in Puerta Plata a couple years ago and booked this excursion through a guy that came down the beach. Don't remember the name of the tour company but they took good care of us. Once you get there you are put in the care of some really great guides who take awesome care of you as you hike to the falls, get in the water and go up each waterfall. We opted to do the first 8 falls and trust me that is plenty. I can't stress enough how important it is for ladies to wear a ONE-PIECE bathing suit. One of our girls found out the hard way that as the guides pull you up through the falls the force of the water can/will push your bathing suit bottom down over your buns! LOL The guides are young and strong and work very hard to pull each person up through each falls---tip them well when you get back! If you don't swim well, they will even help you across each water way to the next falls. Your group stays together. ALSO---"Mr. Paparazzi" follows your group throughout the trip and makes an awesome video of the trip to sell to you when you get back. He even hides in the bush in the initial hike to catch people unexpected along the way. Too fun. We haggled with him to get the price down. He had the finished video delivered to our resort later that day---great video. Great, memorable trip to the Falls. My review is on Trip Advisor under Butterfinger1954. Have fun! BTW, we were in our late 50's.

Yes please do and post some pictures. We are going in August and would love to know how you liked it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just returned today from our cruise and I wanted to let you know how our trip to the waterfalls was with Marysol Tours. We had a great time and I have no problem recommending them. Since they are not "approved" yet by Carnival, you must walk out of the port to meet them. Once you go out of the port, they were waiting to the left on the roadside. This is a fairly long walk, so allow plenty of time.

Our group was split between 2 open air "safari" type vehicles for the drive to the falls. One tip - don't sit in the very front unless you want to be covered in dust and dirt by the time you arrive, lol. The drive to the falls was about 25 minutes and gave us a look at the real Dominican life outside of the modern sanitized port Carnival built. The drive to the falls is not for the faint of heart, as anyone who has ever taken a taxi or van in a Caribbean country knows. :eek:

Upon arrival at the falls, everyone put their bags, hats, etc. in the cab of the vehicles and they were locked. We were given life jackets and helmets and began the hike to the top for our tour of the 12 Falls with our guides. The hike is fairly strenuous, but is doable for most people in average shape (I am 54 and not in prime shape and made it). There are lots of steps and the trail is very rocky in most places, so anyone with knee, hip or other walking issues would struggle. The guides did stop and have use rest on several occasions and everyone was given a bottle of water at the start of the hike. Everyone in our group made it to the top, though a few were struggling by the time we made it to the top.

Once at the top we began our descent down the falls. The water was cool, but we quickly acclimated to it and it felt good after the hike up in the hot, humid conditions. At most of the falls, we had the option of sliding down a part of the falls similar to a body slide at a waterpark or jumping off a ledge. A few of the falls also had the option of a ladder or path to go around for those unsure of the other options. The highest jump was about 15 feet and the smallest was probably 4 feet. We got a few scrapes and bruises along the way, but nothing major. There was one ladder we had to climb down that was probably 20 - 25 feet, so if you are afraid of heights or ladders, this may not be for you.

After the last waterfall, there was still a hike of 10 minutes or so to get back to the starting point. Once there we turned in our helmets and life jackets and were served a buffet lunch. The lunch consisted of salad, grilled chicken, rice, beans, plantains, hot dogs and your choice of coke, sprite or water to drink.

A photographer goes with each group and takes photos and videos of the group and you have the opportunity to purchase this at the end of the tour. We chose to purchase this and it was provided on a flash drive for the cost of $ 45.00. The quality of the videos and photos was similar to a Go-Pro camera and we felt was worth it.

After our meal, we boarded the safari vehicles and headed back to port. We stopped at a local business where we were shown the process for making cigars and given the opportunity to purchase hand-rolled cigars, bottles of the local drink Mama Juana (similar to red wine) and some souvenirs. We were not pressured to purchase anything. We returned to the port and had time to shop in the port. The entire tour lasted approximately 6 hours.

We also observed another tour provider, Iguana Mama, and they offered almost the same tour as Marysol. The main differences were that Iguana Mama provided a large air conditioned bus and I do not believe they made the stop at the local business on the way back to port. Marysol only offered the 7 and 12 waterfalls tour due to time constraints and Iguana Mama offered the 7, 12 or 27 waterfalls. The difference could be the stop at the local business.

If you do the 12 or 27 waterfalls, you hike up a trail to the top and slide and / or jump off the falls on the way down. If you do the 7 falls, you actually climb up the last 7 falls and them slide / jump off those same falls on the way down. I would recommend the 12 waterfalls since it provided a hike up, then the sliding / jumping back down the falls and still gave us time to shop when arriving back at the port.

If you are in reasonable shape, not afraid of moderate heights and enjoy outdoor activities, I highly recommend this tour. If you have trouble climbing stairs, walking uphill, are afraid of heights / ladders or are not comfortable leaving the port in a foreign country, then this is not the tour for you.

• 2 weeks later...
Great review. Only other question is cost per person?

I think we paid $ 55 / pp, including lunch, for the 12 waterfalls. I was quoted $ 40 for the 7 waterfalls and 45 for the 12 without lunch. It is well worth it and one of the best excursions I have been on in all my years of cruising.

Thanks for the review - we looked at Iguanamama this weekend and seriously considering booking this - sounds awesome!

Either Iguanamama or Marysol will be fine. We used Marysol and we were alongside the Iguanamama tour doing the falls and shared the same buffet afterwards. The main difference I saw between the 2 tours was the type of transportation - Iguanamama used a large, air conditioned bus and Marysol used an covered, but open-air safarai-type vehicle. The open-air vehicle was better for taking photos, but we were covered with road grime upon arrival at the falls. I would still do the open-air vehicle for the ability to take photos and the feel of being on an adventure.

Anyone done this? Is it best to book a tour? Or just take a cab? How far is it from the cruise terminal?

We were staying at an All Inclusive resort in Puerta Plata a couple years ago and booked this excursion through a guy that came down the beach. Don't remember the name of the tour company but they took good care of us. Once you get there you are put in the care of some really great guides who take awesome care of you as you hike to the falls, get in the water and go up each waterfall. We opted to do the first 8 falls and trust me that is plenty. I can't stress enough how important it is for ladies to wear a ONE-PIECE bathing suit. One of our girls found out the hard way that as the guides pull you up through the falls the force of the water can/will push your bathing suit bottom down over your buns! LOL The guides are young and strong and work very hard to pull each person up through each falls---tip them well when you get back! If you don't swim well, they will even help you across each water way to the next falls. Your group stays together. ALSO---"Mr. Paparazzi" follows your group throughout the trip and makes an awesome video of the trip to sell to you when you get back. He even hides in the bush in the initial hike to catch people unexpected along the way. Too fun. We haggled with him to get the price down. He had the finished video delivered to our resort later that day---great video. Great, memorable trip to the Falls. My review is on Trip Advisor under Butterfinger1954. Have fun! BTW, we were in our late 50's.

We would really like to take our son (12 1/2) to see the falls but I am concerned if I am capable. I am 54 but fluffy ;) I am worried about stepping up high and of hurting myself. You mention you are in your 50's. Do you mind sharing your fitness level?

We would really like to take our son (12 1/2) to see the falls but I am concerned if I am capable. I am 54 but fluffy ;) I am worried about stepping up high and of hurting myself. You mention you are in your 50's. Do you mind sharing your fitness level?

Click on JT1962. He answers your question very well I would say and he did this recently with his daughter.

• 1 month later...

Hey hockeygal54, figmentdj here from the Roll Call, we're doing this tour with Marysol.

Question for JT1962 (Great review BTW) - You said they have a photog that follows the group but did you take or see folks with their own cameras / gopros?

Hey hockeygal54, figmentdj here from the Roll Call, we're doing this tour with Marysol.

Question for JT1962 (Great review BTW) - You said they have a photog that follows the group but did you take or see folks with their own cameras / gopros?

Yes, I had a waterproof camera and took photos and videos. Several people had cameras and a few had gopro type cameras as well. They did not have an issue with people taking their own photos and I did not feel pressured to buy their photos, although I did purchase them.

• 1 month later...

Go for the 12. It is actually less strenuous. With the 12, you hike up a trail, then come down the waterfalls. My understanding of the 7 is you actually climb up the last 7 of the 12 falls, then go back down. I am 54 and am in average (or worse ) shape and I did fine.

Edited by JT1962

I'm not sure what "average" shape means! [emoji13] I'm an icu RN and I don't see folks in very good shape anymore! I'm in better shape than a year ago and have actually lost 20# and gained muscle so hoping I'll do ok. If not my DD will inherit stuff.

I am 5'10", 195#, go to the gym once per week. Need to lose 25#, but not obese. If you can walk at a reasonable pace without stopping every 100 yards and don't have knee / hip issues, you should be ok. The hike up is a little strenuous, but they take rest breaks. I was the oldest in our group and seemed to keep up better than some 20 years younger.

Edited by JT1962

Do check on what the water levels are when you go. I understand they get really low during certain times of the year. This means you may have to bypass some of the falls or possibly be in danger of hitting the bottom in some of the pools. We went in May and it was fine. Not to shallow or too much water and current.

We just went on this excursion on August 4. First off, it was amazing. My son wore his go pro, and he has some great shots. The guides helped him secure it, and all was well.

Have no fear....they will tell you if you are not allowed to go up to 12 based on fitness level or age. There were 4 people in our group who were told they needed to do the 7 instead of the 12. While they were angry at first, there was no way they would have been able to do it, and after we came down they were happy they didn't go up. We all did fine on the hike, but it is about 30-40 mins. of hiking, much of it on an incline (I'm 46). The adults were all feeling it more than the kids....needless to say, we were happy to get to the waterfalls :).

While they say water shoes, make sure the shoes you choose are somewhat sturdy (I wore an old pair of Keen's). We had someone in our group roll her ankle on one of the rocks while we still had about 4-5 more waterfalls to go. There's no easy way to get out other than...well, down the waterfall :).

It's an awesome excursion, and was the highlight of our cruise....so glad we did it, and so glad we thought outside of the box :). Enjoy!