Maiden voyage - How Full?

gatorphin

I'm just wondering how full the maiden voyage is? I've yet to see a picture/video with any big lines or even areas that are crowed. Is the ship not that full or did Carnival do a bang up job with their design? Maybe it's somewhere in the middle.

I'm sailing on the 7/29/16 cruise and I've noticed that there are at least 10 Havana Cabana Suites available on my sailing. I think that's strange for a new ship cruising the Med in high season. It is after all one the the most talked about areas of the ship. Your thoughts?

Thanks

John Heald has stated how many are on the Vista innagrual cruise on his F*ceb**k page, I don't recall the number.

As the HC suites are some of the most expensive cabins, likely not as big a demand as might be expected.

The Vista was sold out months before sailing for its Maiden voyage.

As far as an emptyish ship I think one of the main reasons is John mostly films when people are ashore.

But I do think that the design does help a lot also as far as drinking and eating are concerned. I am also mindful of the fact that John hasn't filmed the pools on a sea day.;)

I think there is some crowding on the Vista but I think it is going to be less than her Dreamy sisters.

As far as sailings go Carnival doesn't head to Europe often because its harder for them to sell cabins (they had a similar problem with the sunshine) . With high airfares and us Europeans not being as aware of the line compared to Royal etc. In my view Carnival could have got a bigger market share of European cruisers if they had played their cards right years ago but there you go. Only 2 major travel agent shops have Carnival deals in the UK.

The only reason my 12 day Vista sailing is sold out of most cabin types except insides is because UK cruise sites did amazing deals on it.

The Vista's listed max capacity is 3,936... JH stated there were just over 3,850 passengers this cruise with 100% cabins occupied (I assume maybe some solo cruisers or perhaps some of the family rooms or 3 person rooms aren't full). He also stated the just about 80% of the passengers onboard are from North America so maybe they weren't really targeting European cruisers for their Med cruises on the Vista?

I'm sailing on the 7/29/16 cruise and I've noticed that there are at least 10 Havana Cabana Suites available on my sailing.

Thanks

Just a slight correction...you mean regular Havana Cabanas, not Suites. There are only 4 Havana Suites on the Vista, and they sell out very quickly. I would be surprised if the entire Havana area isn't sold out in advance of your sail date.

As others have pointed out, the inaugural sailing was sold out with 3800+ passengers. Many of the pics & videos make it look empty because most passengers are off ship touring the various ports at the time (especially John's live videos). Having said that, I only recall a few times where I noticed crowding on the Breeze, and I expect even less crowding on the Vista with her new layout.

We never felt we were crowded or overrun with people until our first port of call, then the line was very long. They figured it out and the next port was much better. The lines at the lido were manageable as at all the other popular spots. The layout of the Vista is such that you never really feel crowded.

I'm just wondering how full the maiden voyage is? I've yet to see a picture/video with any big lines or even areas that are crowed. Is the ship not that full or did Carnival do a bang up job with their design? Maybe it's somewhere in the middle.

I'm sailing on the 7/29/16 cruise and I've noticed that there are at least 10 Havana Cabana Suites available on my sailing. I think that's strange for a new ship cruising the Med in high season. It is after all one the the most talked about areas of the ship. Your thoughts?

Thanks

Not quite sure what you are looking at. There are only 4 Havana Cabana Suites on the ship.

I never felt crowded on the Vista at all. There were a few lines during port embarkation and debarkation but I've ran into that on every ship. There's only so many ways to offload and onload several thousand passengers.

I never felt crowded on the Vista at all. There were a few lines during port embarkation and debarkation but I've ran into that on every ship. There's only so many ways to offload and onload several thousand passengers.

I have to admit, this really has been a major concern. We've plenty of time at the beginning and end of the cruise, so which it might be preferable not to have long waits, it's also not an issue.

However, getting off in ports you have tours arranged or trains to catch is another thing altogether.

How long was it taking in ports you docked? I daren't ask at a tendered port!!!

This is where ships carrying just a maximum of 296 passengers is a godsend.

Edited by les37b

I have to admit, this really has been a major concern. We've plenty of time at the beginning and end of the cruise, so which it might be preferable not to have long waits, it's also not an issue.

However, getting off in ports you have tours arranged or trains to catch is another thing altogether.

How long was it taking in ports you docked? I daren't ask at a tendered port!!!

This is where ships carrying just a maximum of 296 passengers is a godsend.

Was on maiden voyage and we had to Tender ashore when the ship arrived in Kotor, Montenegro. Was on a Carnival excursion so we were off the ship pretty fast and with ease. But on the return, the line was crazy long! The ship left late too! But once the 400 passenger tender ship kicked it, it was a breeze when we finally got in line after about an hour and a half stalling.

Was on maiden voyage and we had to Tender ashore when the ship arrived in Kotor, Montenegro. Was on a Carnival excursion so we were off the ship pretty fast and with ease. But on the return, the line was crazy long! The ship left late too! But once the 400 passenger tender ship kicked it, it was a breeze when we finally got in line after about an hour and a half stalling.

We waited no more than a couple minutes getting off the ship (once the all clear was given). That seemed pretty efficient. Getting back on the ship were the longest lines because of security having to scan your bags. There were always 2 gangways operating at all times. We did have a tender port in Kotor. Again, we had no problem at all. We didn't have a Carnival excursion so we got up early, got a ticket for the 1st tender and off we went. Easy-peasy.

We waited no more than a couple minutes getting off the ship (once the all clear was given). That seemed pretty efficient. Getting back on the ship were the longest lines because of security having to scan your bags. There were always 2 gangways operating at all times. We did have a tender port in Kotor. Again, we had no problem at all. We didn't have a Carnival excursion so we got up early, got a ticket for the 1st tender and off we went. Easy-peasy.

OK, so long as I understand the rules here....

You have to get a ticket for a tender time? You can choose that time?

What do you mean by scan your bags? Looking for booze?

Is it right they let you bring wine back on board in the ports to consume in your cabins? I didnt think that was allowed (apart from being put in storage) but someone is claiming they are ok about that and allow it. Maybe he was thinking about people smuggling?

OK, so long as I understand the rules here....

What do you mean by scan your bags? Looking for booze?

Is it right they let you bring wine back on board in the ports to consume in your cabins? I didnt think that was allowed (apart from being put in storage) but someone is claiming they are ok about that and allow it. Maybe he was thinking about people smuggling?

To my surprise, after smuggling booze on the ship in Trieste, I heard with my own ears guest service telling a customer that while in Europe wine (and booze) are allowed.

I tested this on the very next stop in Dubrovnik as I brought two bottles of wine onboard and brought them to my room with no questions asked. At the next stop I brought a bottle of wine and a bottle of hard liquor on. After that, it was not an issue with bringing booze onboard as I saw fit. Wow!

And yeah, they had those scanners one sees at the airport as well as metal detectors. No issues at all experienced.

To my surprise, after smuggling booze on the ship in Trieste, I heard with my own ears guest service telling a customer that while in Europe wine (and booze) are allowed.

I tested this on the very next stop in Dubrovnik as I brought two bottles of wine onboard and brought them to my room with no questions asked. At the next stop I brought a bottle of wine and a bottle of hard liquor on. After that, it was not an issue with bringing booze onboard as I saw fit. Wow!

And yeah, they had those scanners one sees at the airport as well as metal detectors. No issues at all experienced.

That's interesting..... and very surprising.

If I'd seen this earlier, I wouldn't have bothered buying cheers, which I didn't want to but after seeing we'd get hit with tax on drinks purchases I relented.

How many bottles were they allowing you to bring on?

For us.... they are mad not letting us on with some wine! If we drink our own, we wont be pigging out on theirs which we paid for.

So when you get back on, I take it your bags go through an x-ray machine? Were your bottles in that? Metal detector arch for passengers?

Its all foreign to me. They'd love passengers on Silversea to bring their own with them... they'd actively encourage you to! lol

I had intended to bring on with us 3 bottles of prosecco (one for me, mrs and 18 year old - and plead ignorance about ages as he is of legal age in Europe. Sounds like they wont be bothered and we could bring on more if we wanted to.

I personally was able to carry once three bottles of wine on without security batting an eye! They were in my carryon along with purchases made ashore. No need to hide them even. In fact a t the stop in Athens I saw several people buying the jumbo size hard liquors. And I intensionally stayed behind one guy that was carrying two jumbo ones just to see the what-if. And yes, he had no issues at all. His wife went from frowns and angry face to smiles when they cleared security. I gave him a high-five at the elevator as I let on to them what I was doing! LOL

But I will say this about your 18 yo child. Carnival will do the lip service of saying that legal age for drinking is 21 even in EU. Heard t myself and saw a couple "kids" get turned down at the bar too. They knew too it was a long shot. But they tried!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, not sure why they are saying '21' as drinking age - it's 18 generally in the EU....as it is in the UK - Bit odd that, I'm sure if there are some 18 yr olds from the uk onboard they won't be too happy!!!

I personally was able to carry once three bottles of wine on without security batting an eye! They were in my carryon along with purchases made ashore. No need to hide them even. In fact a t the stop in Athens I saw several people buying the jumbo size hard liquors. And I intensionally stayed behind one guy that was carrying two jumbo ones just to see the what-if. And yes, he had no issues at all. His wife went from frowns and angry face to smiles when they cleared security. I gave him a high-five at the elevator as I let on to them what I was doing! LOL

But I will say this about your 18 yo child. Carnival will do the lip service of saying that legal age for drinking is 21 even in EU. Heard t myself and saw a couple "kids" get turned down at the bar too. They knew too it was a long shot. But they tried!

OK, thanks for that. No harm in having some wine in the room i guess.

On drinking age, i did speak to Carnival about the age discrepancy and they were adamant no one under the age of 21 would be allowed alcohol. Luckily, my 18 year old wont be bothered about that - even if his dad wouldn't have stepped on the ship at his age if i wasn't allowed a beer!