Tahiti - Do it yourself or travel agent?

With the exception of my first Key West trip in 1998, I have done all my own trip planning. Over the years I have managed to do well balancing price vs. amenities. Usually, travel is during the shoulder or off season which helps keep cost reasonable. Yet, for Tahiti, I am considering a travel agent. Do you think TAs are helpful? If so, do you have any suggestions as to what I should look for? Or am I better off putting the packages together for myself? Thank you.:)

I recently did a post on using a ta or not. I don't and there did not appear to be an overwhelming response from others in favor of using ta's. There are a few instances where it might be beneficial but I have an aversion to paying, even indirectly, someone else to do what I can easily do myself.

Tahiti is a no brainier with Windstar, the package is air, cruise and pre and post hotel. You should extend your stay there but you can easily pick a hotel yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, BarryCat. Extending it on both ends is part of the plan.

We have done the loop between Honolulu and Tahiti five times, all on the Paul Gauguin. Though Hawaiian Air flies only once a week to Fa'a'a Airport (Saturday with a Sunday midnight turnaround), depending on your sail dates, I would recommend wholeheartedly HA over Air Tahiti Nui. Their's is the definition of a cattle car flight.

As for a TA, I highly recommend one if you are planning a Windstar voyage. We recently returned from a seven day Costa Rica cruise and the lack of communication from WS was a constant problem. Had I not had a TA to intervene, planning would have been much more difficult with this cruise line.

As you may know Star Pride ran aground off the Panama coast earlier this year, the CEO of the line recently stepped down and a gaggle of new suits have assumed the reins. This would not be the time to test out their hopefully improved communication skills.

If this is your first French Polynesian cruise, I cannot say enough about the Paul Gauguin. Having sailed her five times, there is no comparison between the ships and especially the two organizations. The PG is all-inclusive - no tips, no slips to sign, all beverages any time. Though the price points are higher initially, once you get your final WS Bill, you will have narrowed that gap considerably.

As for post cruise, consider the IC Moorea instead of staying on Tahiti island if you have the time. It's a thirty minute ferry ride from Moorea, and the vibe is wonderful, compared to the more populated Tahiti.