Scenic Amber Danube info

515kitty

I will pass on some info as to Nuremberg. Contacted Kevin he is booked. He suggested once we get to the ship take a cab directly to the courthouse. Should be able to make it before closing. And i assume the welcome won't be till 7 ish. Got any info on when we might need to be on board?

I think they told us that all aboard was 4:00pm but there were some that arrived later than that. We had booked a pre night stay with Scenic at the Le Meridian Hotel, and we were picked up at noon. I wasn't crazy about that as I felt we were loosing most of the day in Nuremberg. We just hung around for a long time and, I believe, around 4:00pm they showed up to our cabin. Dinner was at 7pm.

We are on the Amber, leaving August 22 from Budapest to Prague. We have arranged the following private tours in Budapest and Prague and are looking for another couple to share them with us. There are 3 separate day tours and you can select one, two or all.

Thanks

Marty and Sharyn

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Budapest – Friday, August 19, 2016

Full day city tour by minivan

On the Buda side you will visit the Old Town with the Fisherman’s Bastion the lookout terrace and Matthias Church from the inside – a beautiful neo-gothic cathedral.

Visit Gellert Hill with a beautiful view over the city, the former Liberation Monument and the Citadella (former fortress).

Visit the lobby of the famous building of Gellért Spa and Hotel and visit the Cave Church (if it is open).

On the Pest side visit the second largest Synagogue in the world (Dohány Synagogue), together with the Jewish cemetery and the Holocaust Memorial.

The covered Market hall is a colorful jewel with all its fruit, meat, vegetables and even souvenir stalls and will be also visited. You may have lunch there …..

Visit the area of the Opera House and the theatre quarter.

Visit Heroes’ Square with its statues of the Hungarian leaders throughout the ages, walk in the City Park, see the Széchenyi Spa and Vajdahunyad Castle.

You will visit St. Stevens Basilica, the largest Catholic church in Budapest.

Visit the area of the Parliament (Parliament building, 1956 revolution memorials, Liberty square).

Cost: 285 Euro (for 4) plus 21 Euro per person entrance fees

Prague – Tuesday, August 30 and Wednesday August 31

Tuesday, for the general Prague plus the Jewish quarter, I suggest to cover Prague Castle, Lesser Town, John Lennon's wall, Charles Bridge, some gardens under the castle, Old Town square(app 3 hours), then the Jewish museum that includes 5 synagogues (Maisel, Pinkas,Klaus, Spanish, Old New, and the Old Cemetery).... I'd start with the Jewish stuff (app 3-4 hours) and then after quick lunch do the rest.

Wednesday - To go to Terezin plan on 5 hours at least, we'd need a driver to take us there (45min drive) plus take us around Terezin, and back.

Cost: Tuesday - 245 Euro (for 4) plus 35 Euro/couple entrance fees

Wednesday – 175 Euro for guide (for 4), car and driver – 90 Euro for 2 so a little more for 4, plus 15 Euro/couple entrance fees

I haven't posted for awhile so he is an update. I to am frustrated with Scenic not being able to help with more details. They are just reading off the sheet or computer they have in front of them. I don't want to wait to get off the plane and have to depend on the representative to have her or him arrange my extras. A special thanks to Sandy and all here help. I did read on a CC review of Amber someone had posted that the transfer was 4 hour but still don't know for sure what time they might leave Prague as that is where we start from and are transfer to Nuremberg. I am assuming they make a stop other that bathroom but not for sure. One post thought around 3 or 4 PM arrival. I am trying to detail this as we are schedule to do our Nuremberg tour on Tuesday of which the court house is closed and Kevin (a tour guide) suggested when arriving on Monday see if Scenic can have a cab waiting and go straight to the Courthouse. Have to be there before 5 and it closes at 6 PM This is one thing my husband wanted to see. Or trip is Oct. 6th.

I haven't posted for awhile so he is an update. I to am frustrated with Scenic not being able to help with more details. They are just reading off the sheet or computer they have in front of them. I don't want to wait to get off the plane and have to depend on the representative to have her or him arrange my extras. A special thanks to Sandy and all here help. I did read on a CC review of Amber someone had posted that the transfer was 4 hour but still don't know for sure what time they might leave Prague as that is where we start from and are transfer to Nuremberg. I am assuming they make a stop other that bathroom but not for sure. One post thought around 3 or 4 PM arrival. I am trying to detail this as we are schedule to do our Nuremberg tour on Tuesday of which the court house is closed and Kevin (a tour guide) suggested when arriving on Monday see if Scenic can have a cab waiting and go straight to the Courthouse. Have to be there before 5 and it closes at 6 PM This is one thing my husband wanted to see. Or trip is Oct. 6th.

It would seem if you take a taxi from the airport directly you won't have your Scenic transfer to port! So there is certainly a consequence for doing it this way.

S to the rest once on ground in Europe the staff certainly has a timetable but often that goes right out the window as flights are delayed and boats move to unexpected ports due to river conditions. It's very hard to know exactly the when & where no the shore side staff just plain don't know.

Perhaps I should explain a little more we are doing the gems of the Danube October 6th. We have flights booked though Scenic and transfers and are doing the Prague add on also though Scenic. So on the 10th of October we will be transfered by Scenic from Prague to Nuremberg. That is when I am looking for a time line and want to make arrangements so we get to the court house on Monday because they will be closed on Tuesday. Suggested to take a cab but from the ship once we arrive and go immediately to the courthouse by tour guide Kevin. I also agree with what he suggested. As anyone done the transfer and what time did they get to the ship?

We also arrive in Prague (via bus I believe) on Oct 6, but we will just have finished our 15 days on the Jade, from Amsterdam to Budapest. We may be on some of the same tours/dinners. I understand our hotel is the Marriott, but we are now just waiting on our final docs to confirm. :)

Yes we to are at the Marriott in Prague and in Budapest at the end of the trip will stay an extra day. It will be fun to meet new people. We have been in the area before. In '98 did an eastern Europe and loved Prague. The info on Prague and the side tours are not really not defined well. I don't know why that can not be give the time and description a little more precious. Especially when we are land based and not dealing with the river.

• 4 weeks later...

I think we are booked on the same dates for the same cruise. We have booked a private coach for a trip to Berchtesgaden and the Eagle's Nest on Saturday August 27 instead of Scenic tour of Salzberg. we are promised a tour through Salzberg as we head back to the ship. have 4 seats available. Anyone interested?

Doverboy

Sorry we are not on that sailing. Ours is Oct 7th. Since I posted have did some changing around and will say Scenic and my TA have done a fabulous job. If anyone is on our sailing would love to hear from you.

• 3 weeks later...

Still looking for another couple to share private tours in Budapest and Prague. Anyone interested?

Budapest – Friday, August 19, 2016

Full day city tour by minivan

On the Buda side you will visit the Old Town with the Fisherman’s Bastion the lookout terrace and Matthias Church from the inside – a beautiful neo-gothic cathedral.

Visit Gellert Hill with a beautiful view over the city, the former Liberation Monument and the Citadella (former fortress).

Visit the lobby of the famous building of Gellért Spa and Hotel and visit the Cave Church (if it is open).

On the Pest side visit the second largest Synagogue in the world (Dohány Synagogue), together with the Jewish cemetery and the Holocaust Memorial.

The covered Market hall is a colorful jewel with all its fruit, meat, vegetables and even souvenir stalls and will be also visited. You may have lunch there …..

Visit the area of the Opera House and the theatre quarter.

Visit Heroes’ Square with its statues of the Hungarian leaders throughout the ages, walk in the City Park, see the Széchenyi Spa and Vajdahunyad Castle.

You will visit St. Stevens Basilica, the largest Catholic church in Budapest.

Visit the area of the Parliament (Parliament building, 1956 revolution memorials, Liberty square).

Cost: 285 Euro (for 4) plus 21 Euro per person entrance fees

Prague – Tuesday, August 30 and Wednesday August 31

Tuesday, for the general Prague plus the Jewish quarter, I suggest to cover Prague Castle, Lesser Town, John Lennon's wall, Charles Bridge, some gardens under the castle, Old Town square(app 3 hours), then the Jewish museum that includes 5 synagogues (Maisel, Pinkas,Klaus, Spanish, Old New, and the Old Cemetery).... I'd start with the Jewish stuff (app 3-4 hours) and then after quick lunch do the rest.

Wednesday - To go to Terezin count with 5 hours at least, we'd need a driver to take us there (45min drive) plus take us around Terezin, and back.

Cost: Tuesday - 245 Euro (for 4) plus 35 Euro/couple entrance fees

Wednesday – 175 Euro for guide (for 4), car and driver – 90 Euro for 2 so a little more for 4, plus 15 Euro/couple entrance fees

We look forward to meeting you and your party. Our group of 4 arrives in Budapest on Saturday Aug 20 and we are staying at Scenic's Marriott base. We have booked with Scenic for a Budapest tour on Sunday (I think) and each couple is moving in different directions once we reach Nuremberg. Prague sounds like it would be beautiful.

My wife and I are headed for her birth city and then to Maranello, eventually ending our trip in London. 19 days and counting