Using UBER to get to Port Canaveral

Quueen124

Hello. Has anyone had any experiences using UBER going from a Disney Hotel to Port Canaveral? We , DH DD 5 & I, are staying at the Art of Animation and I am concerned about taking Disney Transportation because we will get to the ship so late. I don't want to miss out on tickets for the Princess and Anna & Elsa meet and greets. Thank you for any help or advice!

Sorry about the repeat post. I thought I originally posted to the Disney Thread, then posted in Florida Depapartures.., I am very new to this.

Hello. Has anyone had any experiences using UBER going from a Disney Hotel to Port Canaveral? We , DH DD 5 & I, are staying at the Art of Animation and I am concerned about taking Disney Transportation because we will get to the ship so late. I don't want to miss out on tickets for the Princess and Anna & Elsa meet and greets. Thank you for any help or advice!

Sorry about the repeat post. I thought I originally posted to the Disney Thread, then posted in Florida Depapartures.., I am very new to this.

What time is your PAT?

PAT is port arrival time, not boarding time just incase you do not know.

ex techie

Thank you both for your replies. We booked through a travel agent, but I don't think my online check in window has opened yet. I will double check with her as I think she selects the PAT. I am hoping for an early one. 😄 The ship is the Dream.

Thank you both for your replies. We booked through a travel agent, but I don't think my online check in window has opened yet. I will double check with her as I think she selects the PAT. I am hoping for an early one. 😄 The ship is the Dream.

Absolutely check with her and tell her you want as early as possible PAT as the early PAT's can go very quickly and especially on the shorter cruises the Dream does.

You have a Castaway Club number to as you have sailed with DCL before so also mention and provide that to your TA if you haven't already.

ex techie

Thank you ex techie, I will!

No worries!

Once you are assigned your PAT, then everyone will be better informed to suggest UBER, private transport or DCL bus.

If you do not know your CC number, call DCL and ask them for it. It will afford you a silver CC status which isn't a lot, apart from a silver lanyard and a backpack of some goodies, but it may help.

ex techie

There is no reason to involve your travel agent. You can go on line and do your own online check in, select your PAT, book excursions, nursery, adult dining, etc. YOU will actually be faster and more efficient at this than your agent. I've never seen an agent who will go on line at midnight when your window opens!

You can make your own selections better than going back and forth with TA. For instance, assume your ideal time for adult dining is TUesday at 7:30, but that day/time is not available. If your agent has to get with you to ask if you'd rather have Monday at 7:30 or Tuesday at 8:00....but by the time she contacts you and gets a response, those slots have filled. SO much easier to do this yourself.

I always book thru an agent. And I always do my own online check in.

Your Castaway Club number should be automatically tied to your booking, but techie is right--never hurts to have it and to be sure it is there!

Edited by moki'smommy

I sincerely apologize if I am wrong, and only going on what Ive read on this and other boards, and not actually having booked a DCL cruise, but I thought if a TA was handling your reservation, any changes or requests had to be made though them?

Are PAT assignments different than dining times, pack n plays etc?

I only mentioned CC status as the OP has a DCL cruise listed in 2000 so 16 years ago, and unless they still live at that address or have the same last name, that the reservation may not be linked automatically.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

If you use a TA, any changes that involve money paid in advance must go thru them. This would be things like adding a person, changing a cabin category, adding transfers, or canceling and rescheduling a cruise. They must also be involved in linking reservations and dining requests. Technically the CMs are not supposed to talk to the guest on the phone, but in reality they will answer non-specific questions about the ship or the cruise. They will not answer any questions that relate directly to your reservation.

Stuff that you can do on line--Palo reservations, on line check in, excursions, nursery reservations, child registration, and stuff like minor authorization form, special needs form, etc. can be done by either the guest or the TA. It is often easier for the guest to do them for the reasons I gave above.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thank you Moki'smommy and Ex techie. I did not think I could do anything online for my reservation, but will certainly try now. It makes complete sense that I could do it quicker than a TA.

I do have a different last name and address from 16 years ago, wow has it that been long? I will work on getting my Cast Away "status" recognized, even a few days will help. :)

Do I have to wait until the 90 day mark to select a PAT? I have 10 days until then! I will get my status updated and work on my online reservations and such. Once I know my PAT, then I will figure out the transportation.

You both are very helpful and knowledgeable! Thank you :)

With a name change, your Castaway status may not have popped up automatically--I would get the TA on this so it is resolved before you hit the 90 day point. Yes, you have to wait until you can do your on line registration to select your PAT.

If you don't get a time that you are happy with, you can keep checking back and editing your time. People do book flights that arrive later than they anticipated and some are courteous enough to change their PAT when they see their actual flight arrival time and calculate time needed to reach the port.

If you use a TA' date=' any changes that involve money paid in advance must go thru them. This would be things like adding a person, changing a cabin category, adding transfers, or canceling and rescheduling a cruise. They must also be involved in linking reservations and dining requests. Technically the CMs are not supposed to talk to the guest on the phone, but in reality they will answer non-specific questions about the ship or the cruise. They will not answer any questions that relate directly to your reservation.

Stuff that you can do on line--Palo reservations, on line check in, excursions, nursery reservations, child registration, and stuff like minor authorization form, special needs form, etc. can be done by either the guest or the TA. It is often easier for the guest to do them for the reasons I gave above.[/quote']

I bow to your knowledge! :)

ex techie

I bow to your knowledge! :)

ex techie

Thanks! Yeah, I've booked a whole lot of DCL cruises...with and without agents.:) I love getting the OBC from using my agent and they are great to have around in an emergency. But I also do as much of the on line stuff as possible on my own. It's just easier.

That said, in one case I was on a cruise when my window for the next cruise opened. I sent my TA a detailed list of what I wanted and what acceptable alternatives were and she did it all for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, I got my status all taken care of and I got a PAT of 10:45 -11:00. I am a little nervous about the availability of UBER so we are going to use a private transfer. Rental car would have been the best cost wise, but driving on unfamiliar roads is not something I like to do. :eek:

New question, what time are private transfers allowed to enter the port? I feel like I read 11:00, but can no longer locate that information. We scheduled the transfer for 9:30, and I am hoping that we will be allowed onsite once we arrive.:D

Thank you for any and all responses.

I don't recall there being a restriction on Private Transfers. We use Happy Limo all the time, sometimes quite early and have never had an issue being dropped off.

Alright, I got my status all taken care of and I got a PAT of 10:45 -11:00. I am a little nervous about the availability of UBER so we are going to use a private transfer. Rental car would have been the best cost wise, but driving on unfamiliar roads is not something I like to do. :eek:

New question, what time are private transfers allowed to enter the port? I feel like I read 11:00, but can no longer locate that information. We scheduled the transfer for 9:30, and I am hoping that we will be allowed onsite once we arrive.:D

Thank you for any and all responses.

There was a brief time when they would not allow shuttles and commercial vehicles in before 11, but that time is long gone. 9:30 is a perfect pick up time. The terminal is about 45 minutes from MCO, 1 hour from WDW. Of course these are approximate depending on traffic.

9:30 should get you there right on your PAT, and you have a few minutes for a store stop if desired.