Gate checking wheelchair

auntjoy036

Mom and I are traveling with our own wheelchair for the first time. It's a lightweight, collapsible model from Drive. It has removable leg rests that attach by two holes fitting over two pins. I know when we get to the airport I wheel Mom to the gate, then gate check the wheelchair. (Mom can walk well enough to walk onto the plane.) Should I detach the leg rests and put them in a bag? Attach the bag to the wheelchair or carry it onto the plane? Does it count as my carry on or is it free because it is medical equipment? We're on Delta.

Thanks.

Vicki

Detached the leg rests and carry on the plane . The leg rests as well as the wheelchair count as medical equipment and travel free.

Also note at the airport you can request a wheelchair attendent to push your mother even though she has her own chair. This might be helpful depending on how much carryon luggage you have.

It a good idea if checking your wheelchair to take the footrests with you, Air Canada managed to loose one of Dudette's between LHR and YVR. They bought a whole new set of rests for her then a week later the original turned up. However, with going to the gate with your chair we have never had a problem with the legs...but I always point it our to the gate attendant and say "please don't forget it" ..... however BA managed to leave in in LHR one time when we were transiting to FCO.

This thread has been extremely timely, we are flying to Berlin tomorrow and I have been puzzling how I could allow the footrests of Dudette's cart to fold back but not come off. Well I have found that I can keep the foot rests on the pins but still allow the foot rests to swing by using a cable tie or zap strap somewhat snuggly fitted over the lower frame and the foot rests. In our case she has a Breezy 600.

Strongly recommend removing foot plates and removable arm rests, as well as any cushion, and put into your wheelchair backpack when gate checking the chair. Take the backpack with you as part of your carry-on luggage (no charge for extra baggage, and does not count against your 2 carry-on items). If taking a power chair, also take the controls box if possible to detach easily.

We have had the leg rests come off in the hold; found later after an extensive search of the hold which still had other luggage in it (we insisted), and we have also had an arm rest, and a leg rest bent and damaged.

Also recommend taking a photo of the chair on the day you board the plane (put today's newspaper on the seat to establish a date) which will be invaluable if you must make a claim for damage, as the airline will usually try to claim that your chair was already damaged before checking.

Also recommend taking a photo of the chair on the day you board the plane (put today's newspaper on the seat to establish a date) which will be invaluable if you must make a claim for damage, as the airline will usually try to claim that your chair was already damaged before checking.

Seconding this...have only flown 4 times with my chair, but it's sustained some sort of damage each time (no surprise really, when you see the way handlers treat passengers' possessions :eek:). I always carry a wee toolkit for mine too (Allen keys & spanner, puncture repair kit, etc.) as something has come loose each time. Cushion and other bits I take on the plane with me - cushion actually comes in handy as it means the headrest is in the right spot. Also a good idea to make sure both your household and travel insurance providers are aware - perhaps less an issue with an 'off the shelf' chair worth a few hundred bucks that is only for occasional use, much more so when you're considering thousands of $$ of scripted/custom equipement that is essential to your daily activities