Glacier Dog Sled Excursion -- Juneau or Skagway?

CruiseNewby47

Hello.

I would really like to take one of the glacier dog sled excursion during our Alaska cruisetour. It's sooo Alaska! :-)

I have read some reviews and some say weather in Juneau is more likely to cause helicopter excursions to be cancelled, so I was leaning towards Skagway.

Is this true based on your experience/knowledge or others-you-know's experience?

For those of you who have done the glacier dog sled excursion out of Skagway, can you give some specs? Like what dog sled company, what helicopter company, and which glacier?

Thank you!

There are several options....You can book through your ship, or you can book independently with Coastal, that does not work with the ships. The flight up to the glaciers is spectacular...the dogs are wonderful. I personally fly with Coastal Helicopters. You can google them and see what they offer. They are an experienced careful crew and the person who heads the dog operation is Sebastian Schnuelle who has won the Yukon Quest. All of his crew are experienced mushers, and not someone they just hired from the high school for the summer....You can look up Sebastian on FB.....The name of his kennel is Blue Kennel. My dogs have been on the glaciers, and he is the only person I would let use my dogs. I think it is a great outfit....All of the operators of all of the glacier sled dog tours all go about the same distance, there is not much difference,......I just prefer that one. it is in Juneau..all of them are the most cancelled tour there is....except maybe for Misty fjords flights...

Edited by laughing husky
additional info....

Skagway only has one company, Temsco, they charge $509 if you book directly through them.

We originally booked through Era in Juneau because we wanted to view the Taku Glacier but it was cancelled, we were able to squeeze the tour the next day in Skagway however. The views were stunning during the ride over.

I'd follow the advice that I had read here previously and used:

The dogsled tour is frequently cancelled, if you want to do it, then book it at your first port and if it gets cancelled you may have the chance to squeeze it in your second port.

There are several options....You can book through your ship, or you can book independently with Coastal, that does not work with the ships. The flight up to the glaciers is spectacular...the dogs are wonderful. I personally fly with Coastal Helicopters. You can google them and see what they offer. They are an experienced careful crew and the person who heads the dog operation is Sebastian Schnuelle who has won the Yukon Quest. All of his crew are experienced mushers, and not someone they just hired from the high school for the summer....You can look up Sebastian on FB.....The name of his kennel is Blue Kennel. My dogs have been on the glaciers, and he is the only person I would let use my dogs. I think it is a great outfit....All of the operators of all of the glacier sled dog tours all go about the same distance, there is not much difference,......I just prefer that one. it is in Juneau..all of them are the most cancelled tour there is....except maybe for Misty fjords flights...

I booked with Coastal and we are going this coming Monday, Memorial Day. Thanks for the info you just posted about Sebastian Schnuelle. I was unaware of this, really cool info. This trip offered a second glacier landing to get out and walk around on the glacier. Heck yeah, go for the gusto. I booked it independently from the cruise line. Really looking forward to it!

I booked with Coastal and we are going this coming Monday, Memorial Day. Thanks for the info you just posted about Sebastian Schnuelle. I was unaware of this, really cool info. This trip offered a second glacier landing to get out and walk around on the glacier. Heck yeah, go for the gusto. I booked it independently from the cruise line. Really looking forward to it!

We are traveling in July and we have already booked with Coastal direct for the Glacier dog sled and the "extended" second stop lower on the glacier. We are so looking forward to this tour. Here's hoping everyone has great weather!

On my celebrity cruise two weeks ago both Juneau and Skagway ended up cancelled. I booked independently in Skagway and instead they let us join in on a helicopter glacier discovery tour without the sled dogs (apparently the sled dogs are on a higher glacier that they couldn't get to). We had a good time but were still bummed.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Edited by Pluckyduk8

On my celebrity cruise two weeks ago both Juneau and Skagway ended up cancelled. I booked independently in Skagway and instead they let us join in on a helicopter glacier discovery tour without the sled dogs (apparently the sled dogs are on a higher glacier that they couldn't get to). We had a good time but were still bummed.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Sounds like weather didn't cooperate the week you were there! We are sailing Celebrity, too, end of July to early August.

I very much doubt we'd take up the offer to do the glacier tour. I am not fond of helicopter rides, and it's almost enough to make me not do the sled-dog tour...but I'm trying to overcome it because we really want the sled-dog. I really hope we have good weather for the sled-dog but if not, we will look for other thing to do in town.

Regarding the Coastal helicopter/dogsled tour in Juneau...

Can anyone tell me if you get to view and/or cuddle dogsled puppies on this tour? The non-glacier dogsled tour offered by the cruise ship (no helicopter ride) lists something about getting to play with the puppies afterwards. I wondered if the helicopter/dogsled tours to the camps on the glaciers have this as well.

Regarding the Coastal helicopter/dogsled tour in Juneau...

Can anyone tell me if you get to view and/or cuddle dogsled puppies on this tour? The non-glacier dogsled tour offered by the cruise ship (no helicopter ride) lists something about getting to play with the puppies afterwards. I wondered if the helicopter/dogsled tours to the camps on the glaciers have this as well.

Based on what I read, you do get to play with puppies -- like for 30 mins after the ride. There's an extended option where you can also help harness/put on booties on the dogs before the ride and then undo harness/remove booties after.

Hi

I hope you had fun! We are doing this in just a month and I am wondering how cold it got on the glacier while you were dog sledding?

Thanks!

Hi

I hope you had fun! We are doing this in just a month and I am wondering how cold it got on the glacier while you were dog sledding?

Thanks!

I am interested as well. Not booked yet, but I'm leaning towards this excursion in 2 months. Someone said to bring a paper cup so you can get a drink from the glacier (the 2nd landing).

I'm hoping you come back to give us an update. I'm doing the same trip next year and would love to hear your opinion and details.

Well, our trip was cancelled due to weather. We were ready to get on the helicopter. We were really broken hearted, but grateful that Coastal looked out for our safety. Adding insult to injury, Coastal made a mistake when processing our refund. They charged my debit card the full amount again. So, a bunch of our funds are tied up now. Probably just a fluke, but I won't book outside of the ship again.

Well, our trip was cancelled due to weather. We were ready to get on the helicopter. We were really broken hearted, but grateful that Coastal looked out for our safety. Adding insult to injury, Coastal made a mistake when processing our refund. They charged my debit card the full amount again. So, a bunch of our funds are tied up now. Probably just a fluke, but I won't book outside of the ship again.

Sorry to hear you didn't get to fly out to do the dogsledding but glad Coastal looked out for your safety.

I hope they can fix your debit card issue soon, too!

Hi all, just chiming in that last year, in late July we had both Juneau and Skagway booked for the glacier/dog mushers camp shorex. Both were cancelled. Hah!! We booked the same cruise for this year, and are hoping to go on at least one.

There is an adorable thread somewhere on the Celebrity forum call

"third times a charm." Well, the name says it all.

Let's all cross our fingers.

Scanditaly