we are thinking of using the subway train from port to athens has anyone used it is it easy to use and safe

It's about a 20 minute walk from the usual berthing area. Take a left out of the port stick to the main road with the docks to your left until you see any obvious pedestrian bridge to cross the road - it's a major structure with an escalator and lift so you shouldn't miss it. Cross the bridge and the Metro station is on the other side. All trains go into Athens - Pireaus is the end of the line. Get off at Thissio for the Acropolis or to Monastriaki for the markets, Plaka (old town) with its tourist shops and cafés. It's all very walkable around here and you will be able to get around the mains sights from either station.

Just take care though -we are certain we were the subject of a pick pocket scam as we got on the train. Two people effectively corralled us between them and the doors by putting their arms up and holding on to poles despite the fact that there was plenty of room in the train. They ignored our attempts to get past. I eventually ducked under the guy's arm and pushed through. Surprise, surprise when we turned round, they'd got off - no doubt looking for another victim. I'm sure this isn't the only ploy but as in many other cities it pays to take particular care on the Metro.

It's easy enough to go into Athens this way - we've done it several times but there is also an express bus service the X80 which leaves from the port and takes less than 30 minutes to the city. It drops off more or less at the same place as the 'Athens on your own' excursion. We used it last time and found it very good. Whichever way you decide to go I would set off back in good time though.

Edited by kruzseeka

I too was very nearly the victim of a pickpocket. Fortunately I felt something and this prevented my wallet from vanishing. We were just pulling into a station a couple of stops before the port and he got off. I expect that this is the modus operandi - select a cruise passenger to steal from leaving just enough time to alight the train and disappear. Lucky for him I prevented it cos I would have battered him senseless.

X80 is the best option. A lot closer than the Metro, only 5 minutes walk.

Great friendly drivers.

Get the ticket (€4) return last time I was there, from the kiosk where the HOHO buses go from and the bus stop is across the road.