Ship visit

nerker

Haven't been on a cruise before, and my wife wants to check out the ship. The boat (Mercury) is in port where we live tomorrow, and we want to know if we go on board and check it out before we cruise next June.

Is this a possibility?

Thx......Rx

We had to go through two checkpoints to get back on our ship when in San Diego, and we were passengers!

As hajakfem wrote, no dice.

About the best you can do is ask questions here and take a look at a bunch of pictures.

The general public is not allowed on board for security reasons. The only people that are not passengers that are allowed on board before sailing are groups of travel agents that are being given a tour and people attending weddings.

Mercury is not a "boat" :mad: , she is a fine ship!!! :)

To your question:

http://www.celebrity.com/beforeyourcruise/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000ON-hrFD1SWeEXJItPSHDREe:1028etmk3?pagename=boarding_your_ship&cS=NAVBAR

Note: For security reasons, guests are not allowed to bring visitors on board Celebrity vessels in any port.

Haven't been on a cruise before, and my wife wants to check out the ship. The boat (Mercury) is in port where we live tomorrow, and we want to know if we go on board and check it out before we cruise next June.

Is this a possibility?

Thx......Rx

Best bet is to endear yourself to a travel agent. I've heard that the lines will, at various times, provide a particular day to allow travel agents to tour a ship while it's in port.

Apart from that, I'm afraid your chances are nil.

Tatka has a very good answer. Go to the Celebrity website and take the virtual tours of the ships.

Of course, nothing can prepare you for the actual thing.

I always remember my first cruise on RCI's Monarch of the Seas.

When we stepped out into the seven story atrium:eek: ; well words cannot describe-----

And now that is considered a "little" ship.

So how can we possibly explain what awaits the new cruiser???!!!!

celtic

Some of the cruise lines offer vcr/dvd tapes at no cost for you to watch. I just received a great one from Oceanic. Check out some of their websites and see who offers the videos. They show cabins, public areas, food, entertainment and some of them even offer scenes from the ports. Good luck with your research. :)

Thx for the replies. A family member has been on small excursion boats before, but has had nightmares about falling over a balcony/railing on a large ship at nite ever since I booked. Not something a video or 360 pictiure can assuage!

I am out of town, but the others went down to the boat today at the dock and could not get onboard. Don't know yet whether my relative was assured of the safety or not yet.

Rx

You cannot "fall" off of a cruise ship, you have to intentionally climb up and over a railing. A person could not "push" you off a ship, they would have to lift you a good 4 and a half feet into the air and throw you.

I worried about my kids falling off a cruise ship once, but after embarking the first time, my fears were put to rest with the height of the railings and the fact the railings also bend outward at the top, once they reach their full height, a sort of ledge. Someone tell me what to call this!

The balcony is a bit different, in that it doesn't have a ledge, but it is still quite high, around 4 and a half feet, again. I would not allow children to play out there, especially if there are chairs or a table to climb on. Use common sense and everyone will be fine.

You cannot "fall" off of a cruise ship, you have to intentionally climb up and over a railing. A person could not "push" you off a ship, they would have to lift you a good 4 and a half feet into the air and throw you.

I worried about my kids falling off a cruise ship once, but after embarking the first time, my fears were put to rest with the height of the railings and the fact the railings also bend outward at the top, once they reach their full height, a sort of ledge. Someone tell me what to call this!

This is an interesting thought! We hear of adults "disappearing" from cruise ships, presumably going overboard in some fashion under whatever circumstances, BUT how many kids have disappeared off cruise ships?? None that I know of...

Archived