Just how elegant is "elegant casual"?

katmu

My SO and looking at Viking Star for our next cruise to the Caribbean, and in looking at their website I'm struggling a bit to picture what exactly an "elegant casual" outfit would be for me. Does that mean heels and a cocktail type dress? or would flats or low wedge dressier sandals and a jersey dress with a wrap be acceptable?

This is the dress code:

For evenings, the recommended onboard dress is "elegant casual" for most restaurants, performances or other special events. Suggested attire for women includes dresses, skirts or slacks with sweaters or blouses; for men, trousers and collared shirts are recommended. Ties and jackets are optional but not required.

I can't help you with specific Viking Ocean questions. We have only just started thinking about trying them.

There is a Viking Oceans board here -- maybe you'd get more specific answers there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=875

The dress code is

Suggested attire for women includes dresses, skirts or slacks with sweaters or blouses; for men, trousers and collared shirts are recommended. Ties and jackets are optional but not required.

so my humble opinion would be that a cocktail dress is not required, since jackets and ties are not required.

If it were me I would take neutrals such as ivory or gray, and wear (likely pants, since those are mentioned in the dress code) monochromatic outfits. And some killer accessories. I think you'd be fine with a jersey dress and wrap.

Elegant casual. Hmm ranks right up there with smart casual -- as opposed to what dumb casual. I guess I have seen some fashion fails that qualify as dumb casual or non-elegant casual.

I would think that clothes you would wear to a nicer restaurant at home would fit the bill. My husband usually takes 3 long sleeve collared shirts like he wears with a coat and 3 or 4 ties. He has a suit coat or sport coat for dressier evenings. On a few occasions he will even wear a collared polo type shirt.

For me. My not dumb casual is a skirt and nice top or pants and nice top, a maxi sundress or a dress that I would be comfortable wearing to church or a business meeting. No jeans (maybe a stunning pair of white jeans ok) no tees with writing on them, no rubber flip flops (I see more and more leather flip flops for both men and women.) With suitcase weight being the number one issue, I bring more daywear and add jewelry and a wrap or scarf etc. for evening then wear that the next day for touring -- maybe with a cotton tee rather than blousy blouse. You will see many different interpretations of elegant casual -- some will be some won't. Go conservative rather than fashion forward. Remember the mantra -- Never Gonna See These Folks Again. Enjoy and have fun and try to relax -- somehow you will end up on the ship and you will be clothed!:D

Whatever looks clean and decent is fine. You certainly won't need a cocktail dress, unless you want to...if you want to...go for it! Heels or lower shoes...doesn't matter! Whatever you'd wear to a nice restaurant at home is fine.

• 2 weeks later...
My SO and looking at Viking Star for our next cruise to the Caribbean, and in looking at their website I'm struggling a bit to picture what exactly an "elegant casual" outfit would be for me. Does that mean heels and a cocktail type dress? or would flats or low wedge dressier sandals and a jersey dress with a wrap be acceptable?

A cocktail dress would never be considered "casual", however elegantly.

Elegantly casual could be something decent you wear to go out with friends, as opposed to something you grub around the house in. A jersey dress would be lovely, or just slacks with a nice top. Once you see how everyone else is dressed, you will wonder why you worried.