Alaska questions---TIA

spidybabe

Traveling to Juneau in the beginning of Aug, and we want to visit the Mendelhall Glacier. Our question is -- shuttle vs city tour also? Basically the question is will we see the same sights, just without the banter describing everything, or it is a totally different route? Price not very different, but time at Glacier is. (I did ask,on Alaska board also)

How do these other ideas sound??

Ketchikan-walking to the Lumberjack show, then walking to see some totem poles, married mans lane, salmon ladder.... Found a great walking map on experienceketchikan.com.

Skagway-White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Excursion: with Chilkoot tours(any opinions?)

That's as far as we got so far

TIA for all responses.

Safe sailing

Edited by spidybabe

Traveling to Juneau in the beginning of Aug, and we want to visit the Mendelhall Glacier. Our question is -- shuttle vs city tour also? Basically the question is will we see the same sights, just without the banter describing everything, or it is a totally different route? Price not very different, but time at Glacier is. (I did ask,on Alaska board also) Take the shuttle. Have any alternative in case of rain

How do these other ideas sound??

Ketchikan-walking to the Lumberjack show, then walking to see some totem poles, married mans lane, salmon ladder.... Found a great walking map on experienceketchikan.com. OK. Have any alternative in case of rain

Skagway-White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Excursion: with Chilkoot tours(any opinions?)

That's as far as we got so far

TIA for all responses.

Safe sailing

I would take the shuttle to the Glacier . It gives you the most time at the Glacier . If it's rainy and cool your not stuck taking the tour .

Mendenhall Glacier is actually free to visit, so take the cheapest way to get there. Our last two times in Juneau, we rented a car so that we could drive around and spend however much time there that we wanted. Had great weather on our last trip and hiked all the way out to the waterfall, which was awesome.

We love Ketchikan. Have walked the Married Man's Trail twice. Take the Funnicular to the top of the hill and walk the trail down. Watching the salmon ladder is so entertaining if you're there the right time of year.

We absolutely loved the 3.5 hour WPRR bus/train tour with Chilcoot. The scenery is incredible and our driver was Mike who was extremely personable and knowledgeable about what we were seeing. Would do this smaller private tour again in a heartbeat!! We were on the 5/5/16 10 day cruise. BTW Mike is an accomplished photographer who offered to take pictures at each scenic stop using everyone's cameras and those pictures of DH and I are some of the best from the entire cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by watchdiva

Mendenhall Glacier is actually free to visit, so take the cheapest way to get there. Our last two times in Juneau, we rented a car so that we could drive around and spend however much time there that we wanted. Had great weather on our last trip and hiked all the way out to the waterfall, which was awesome.

We love Ketchikan. Have walked the Married Man's Trail twice. Take the Funnicular to the top of the hill and walk the trail down. Watching the salmon ladder is so entertaining if you're there the right time of year.

Mendenhall now has a daily charge . The shuttle and tours collect the charge for the National Park Service. I think it is $10 per person.