Room Service delivery fee--is this new?

I don't remember there being a fee for room service on previous cruises. I know Royal added it a few years back but I am on the Summit now and was surprised to see that order placed after 11 pm now incur a fee. (I think it was $5 but I can't tell you for sure because it is only on the TV ordering system and this morning the message is truncated and I can't figure out how to display the rest of it.) (Edit: it's $4.95)

I thought Royal's fee only applied after the wee hours of the morning, so 11 pm seems early to me...the activities are still in full swing at 11.

Edited by schlimazel_traveler

Is there always a fee for room service now, or only "late" service - and I agree, 11:00 pm isn't late. My cousin travels often and considers it roughing it when a hotel ends room service at midnight.

This is odd when Celebrity is trying to attract younger cruisers. Admittedly, seniors like me are often settled in by 11:00 when on a cruise. It must be the sea air because at home we are often awake past midnight.

Beth

In the next couple years, there probably will be NOTHING "free" from room service....

I don't get the "eating in your room" thing....have never enjoyed it....it's messy without a dining table and IMO, more trouble than walking to an eating venue!

If you KNOW you're going to want a snack later, hit the buffet, and bring something back for later snacking!

In the next couple years, there probably will be NOTHING "free" from room service....

I don't get the "eating in your room" thing....have never enjoyed it....it's messy without a dining table and IMO, more trouble than walking to an eating venue!

If you KNOW you're going to want a snack later, hit the buffet, and bring something back for later snacking!

That's assuming one can actually walk the length of the ship to get to the dining room.

Imo there's nothing better than enjoying breakfast on the verandah listening to the waves

Sorry back on topic now lol

As others have said there is a surcharge for late night room service. If you do a search on here you'll find an extensive thread or 2 on the subject.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

When you get back too late from a shore excursion and really want the MDR food and have traditional dining, room service is the best solution. We eat on the veranda, leaving the food not being enjoyed on the coffee table since every course is delivered at once (we aren't in a suite). Knowing we will do this, we pick up one glass of wine each on our way back to the cabin, then my husband gets the second glass while I clear the table and order the food. It works. It isn't my first choice, but it works. I don't much like the buffet (low impulse control, not the choice of food). We do let our wait staff and table mates know we won't be joining them.

Beth