RCL versus Carnival with kids in Alaska (Help!)

stjlo

I just booked a 7 night cruise with Royal Caribbean round-trip from Seattle on the Explorer of the Seas for July 2017. We are a family of 4 (myself, husband, and 21 and 15 year old kids). The kids like activities... that's why I chose the RCCL. They have a rock wall, ice skating rink, pools, slides, surf rider, etc. Then I found out that the pools are not heated which cuts down on a lot of the fun, I feel. Or will it be okay in July?

I am now considering Carnival to save money. Plus, Carnival appeals to me in some ways because it seems much more casual, which is more our style. But... is there a lot to do for the kids? (I know my son will be 21 when we travel, but he is a very active guy... )

I could sit on my balcony all day and just enjoy the scenery but I don't want the kids to be bored. Any advice?

Thank you for your help.

I'd stick with Royal if those activities drew you in . Wouldn't worry too much. We use RC for multi generational cruises because they just seem to have something for all ages.

It is not going to be more formal than Carnival in Alaska.

Pool play will be limited on any ship..you aren't in the Carib. heat :D

Your adult son can meet others to hang with if he wants. It's up to him.

Edited by eandj

it's not like you have 7 sea days to worry about. More than half your days will be in port so they'll be busy sightseeing and exploring.

Read thru past trip reports posted in STICKYs above. Look at reports that specifically have older kids travelling. perhaps their comments will help you with a decision.

ie http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2229940

Edited by mapleleaves

By not choosing Princess (or HAL) you give up Glacier Bay National Park. With only one sea day, on board activities would seem to be of a much smaller concern than the shore excursions that would keep both these young adults busy. After all, Alaska normally is a destination cruise.

That cruise has got to be the worst itinerary I've ever seen. Tracy Arm instead of Glacier Bay, no Ketchikan stop. You do get a long day in Victoria, but for me, that's not worth giving up Ketchikan.

Are you going for ALASKA, or to enjoy the ship activities? I know some people really just want to enjoy the ship, and that's okay if that's what they want. For me, it's about Alaska, the ports, excursions, etc. You need to think about what you want to get out of this cruise, what you want to see and do, and then see if this cruise will fit your needs.

I have taken "kids" that age to Alaska on Princess and they had a wonderful time. I don't know about RCCL, but on Princess the pools ARE heated, and my kids spent plenty of time in them. They don't need rock climbing or surf riders to keep them busy.

By not choosing Princess (or HAL) you give up Glacier Bay National Park. With only one sea day, on board activities would seem to be of a much smaller concern than the shore excursions that would keep both these young adults busy. After all, Alaska normally is a destination cruise.

We chose Norwegian out of Seattle . It goes to to Glacier Bay and it has a rock wall. Slightly less time in ports than Ruby Princess but more youthful sounding activities on board. I am going with 2 13 year olds next July and while it might not have the most activities they are there to see Alaska as well. It also seemed less formal than Princess.

Edited by Katsumom