POC - Do you need to notify cruise line?

If you are taking a portable oxygen concentrator on a cruise (as well as extra batteries) do you need to let the cruise line know or can you just board. Is it safe for these to go through the scanner for hand luggage you are bringing on the ship or airplane (batteries are lithium ion batteries, if that matters).

My husband doesn't need it for sleeping or on the airplane, just walking around touring or walking place-to-place on the ship.

Thank you.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

You need to fill out the cruise line's SNF (Special Needs Form) and submit it. If you used a TA, ask your TA for the form otherwise contact the cruise line for the form..

Depending on the airlines, you may also have to inform them. Check the airlines and see what they require. The airlines may or may not require the form or doctor's letter if he does not require the POC while in flight. For my own protection, I travel with a doctor's letter covering all my medical needs. In my case, I do not worry about use the airline's form because I get my letter from my doctor at the VA.

From a luggage aspect, medical items are free on most airlines.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about filling out a medical form for the cruise line. I'll also get a doctor's letter stating when my husband needs to use the POC.

Jackie

You need to fill out the cruise line's SNF (Special Needs Form) and submit it. If you used a TA, ask your TA for the form otherwise contact the cruise line for the form..

Betty

FYI - The majority of the mass market cruise lines have the form posted in their website. Even if booked through a TA the passenger can complete the on-line form without having to contact the their TA to do so.

Links for on-line forms

No on-line forms

Edited by xxoocruiser

For Princess I've found the form in the cruise personalizer. It is about 3 pages of various questions and must be signed by your doctor and then faxed to Princess. It was very helpful to get the links for all the other cruise lines as we expand our choice of cruises.

Thank you.

Edited by SOLIVITA LADY

• 2 weeks later...
..., I travel with a doctor's letter covering all my medical needs. In my case, I do not worry about use the airline's form because I get my letter from my doctor at the VA.

... Have a wonderful cruise, Betty

You're fortunate that your VA Dr will write a letter. None of hubby's VA Drs will write letters or fill out forms. This was a problem when non-VA surgeon needed form filled out by VA cardiologist okaying surgery.

FYI - The majority of the mass market cruise lines have the form posted in their website. Even if booked through a TA the passenger can complete the on-line form without having to contact the their TA to do so.

Links for on-line forms

No on-line forms

Carnival has a specific form; they just don't post it on their website. Special Needs will email you the form once you've contacted them.

You're fortunate that your VA Dr will writld e a letter. None of hubby's VA Drs will write letters or fill out forms. This was a problem when non-VA surgeon needed form filled out by VA cardiologist okaying surgery.

If there is no IG listed at your VA then go to the site online and send a letter to the Inspector General for the main VA in Washington. His doctors should write letters just like any other doctor would. These days many civilian doctors charge a small fee for this though. Or maybe write the letter yourself or an outline of what is needed and send it to his oxygen prescribing doctor at the clinic he is seen at.

You're fortunate that your VA Dr will write a letter. None of hubby's VA Drs will write letters or fill out forms. This was a problem when non-VA surgeon needed form filled out by VA cardiologist okaying surgery.

I have had three different doctors at the VA write letters for me. I get a new letter every year. The basic letter is in my file and the doctors just modify it to their “personal” style. Also, when I get my physical, the VA provides me with all the test results and I hand carry them to my civilian doctor.

Many years ago, I did sign a medical release form at the VA. That could make a big difference.

Betty