Miami Hotel options/questions with car

Sabalon

Been reading through lots of posts.

Unlike a lot of them, we'll be driving down from Atlanta to Miami on Jul 1, staying overnight and then driving to the port and departing on July 2nd. Even with parking, gas, hotel and food, it's cheaper than 4 of us flying down. As long as we don't stay at the beach place which was $17k a night (Villazzo Contenta)

Am now trying to find someplace to sleep on the 1st. I'm trying to keep cost somewhat controlled as the rest of this trip is pricey, but I would like a few things like not sharing my bed with bugs, or whatever the last person left on it, for my car to be there in the morning, and for us to be relatively safe.

I also would like to get some good torta's that night and some Cuban pastries in the morning. We have a 10:30a check-in time, so I don't want to be too far away - paranoia about traffic.

That said - a couple questions:

Miami airport area? Read some other threads that seem to indicate it's not the best area, which airport areas usually aren't. Using Google Street view, the Sleep Inn for example doesn't look like that bad of an area. Looks like mostly hotel and airport industry.

Downtown? Looking on Hotwire, I can get a hotel downtown for a little more (in the grand scheme of this trip not much more than the airport area). My question about that is parking. Nothing shows up on Hotwire if you add free parking as an amenity, however, street view shows the Holiday Inn downtown has a fenced area that says "For guest use only (at your own risk)" How bad is parking downtown? Seems it'd be a fun location however, we're gonna be pushing it to get there in time for it to be worthwhile (623mile/10hr drive without rest breaks)

Coral Gables? Seems to be a tiny bit pricier than the airport, but more of a suburban style area.

So thanks in advance for any advice from someone not looking for shuttles! :)

I really enjoyed the Intercontinental Miami if you want to get a nicer room. I've also stayed at the YVE but wasn't as impressed. The bathroom at the YVE was really small. Either would be a great choice without knowing what your budget is. The Intercontinental has some really great food at their restaurant/bar and it's literally right in Bayfront Park. Parking in downtown, you're going to pay.

Edit: Both look booked for the 1st.

Edited by gfountain1

Hi

Have you looked at the Planttion area or Cypress Creek

The Sheraton has rooms at $101 per night,

Here is a link it's about an hours drive from Miami

I think they offer parking and as there are 4

The cost of a cab to Miami will be about $65

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/rates/room.html?propertyId=1113&rtnId=&arrivalDate=2016-07-01&departureDate=2016-07-02&iataNumber=&rp=RC%3ADFRLM%2CRC%3ADLYRLM%2CRC%3APRORLM%2CRP%3ASPG&numberOfRooms=1&numberOfAdults=1&numberOfChildren=0

Look at hotels in the blue Lagoon area near the MIA airport; much nicer than most of the airport area with a local strip mall within walking distance to many of the hotels (Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, etc.). Call the hotel for suggestions about local options for Cuban pastries.

Look at hotels in the blue Lagoon area near the MIA airport; much nicer than most of the airport area with a local strip mall within walking distance to many of the hotels (Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, etc.). Call the hotel for suggestions about local options for Cuban pastries.

I've stayed at The Intercontinental many times, it's a beautiful hotel with great service. Their parking when i said there last was $39/night. I decided to gamble and park by the meters on the street. I got ticketed and it was $18/night so for 2 nights I saved $43.00 plus tips and didn't have to wait for the valets.

Thanks all...will do some looking at these suggestions. I guess the parking I saw was the valet parking are for the hotel that you then have to pay for.

Don't really want to stay an hour out - want to be close - and as we're parking at the port a cab is not an issue. Trying to keep it under $100, but starting to realize that isn't going to really be possible.

Blue Lagoon area looks promising.

Always hate getting hotels in areas I don't know. Have booked what sounded like a deal, check-in after dark and then the next morning in the light you wonder how you're alive! I usually go based by brand names and where they are located near home. Rodeway Inn's are the older hotels sold and renamed, usually in the more industrial areas. Baymont Inn is a more recent hotel sold off as Hampton or someone opens a newer one to replace their old property, etc.

If you are parking at the port anyways, I'd stay a bit further away if you want to save some money. Or... along with the nicer chain hotels in Blue Lagoon area near the airport, is the moderate LaQuinta East. Many stay here for that reason. Close enough you could drive into downtown Miami if you want to check it out. Park at Bayside Mall. You can pick up boat tours here. Any hotels downtown will charge $20 plus for the night parking. So figure that in your rates with taxes.

Under 100 won't be possible near downtown.

Edited by eandj

I would go with the Blue Lagoon area if you must but it isn't my first choice.

Yes, that Sleep Inn is in a sketchy area. You can't go my google maps in Miami.

I just took a quick look on hotwire and both Coconut Grove and Coral Gables both have properties in your budget and are far, far nicer areas. Very safe, multi million dollar properties, tons of shopping and dining and your family can get out and walk around to shops and restaurants. They are both very lush, tropical areas adjacent to each other.

Edited by BlueHerons

We're gonna give Crown Plaza Miami International Airport a shot. Not too pricey, good reviews. But, the winning factor was the Latin Cafe located right across the street, which I recall had some Cuban items on the menu. We'll be driving from Tampa Bay Area. I think it was an additional $8 for parking (while you stay) if you add it on when booking. Otherwise, it's $15 a day.

We just need to figure out our parking while we're cruising. As someone else may have said, Google Maps is not so helpful in the Miami area.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry, I'm using a new device and new app, so I'll just add on what I just found.

It looks like maybe we can park at this same location during our cruise for $5.50 a day, $10 shuttle to port. I found this site using google search: http://www.airportparkingreservations.com/lot_crowne_plaza_hotel_mia

Sorry, I'm using a new device and new app, so I'll just add on what I just found.

It looks like maybe we can park at this same location during our cruise for $5.50 a day, $10 shuttle to port. I found this site using google search: http://www.airportparkingreservations.com/lot_crowne_plaza_hotel_mia

Just looked at that. Sounds great - but one of the reviews specifically talked about the $10 shuttle to the port and a complete failure of it to work out. Given, that was just one review, but yikes!

I think myself, I'm just gonna go for the Coral Gables area. Just a few miles out, and a lower cost. Coconut Grove doesn't have any that offer free parking, at least listed on Hotwire. The more I think about it, we'll probably get in later than I want on Friday so it's going to be a crash and dash in the morning, so no need for anything nice.

We could stay at my parents in Venice, but that's a 200 mile drive, and I'd probably hit an alligator crossing the Everglades!

Just looked at that. Sounds great - but one of the reviews specifically talked about the $10 shuttle to the port and a complete failure of it to work out. Given, that was just one review, but yikes!

I think myself, I'm just gonna go for the Coral Gables area. Just a few miles out, and a lower cost. Coconut Grove doesn't have any that offer free parking, at least listed on Hotwire. The more I think about it, we'll probably get in later than I want on Friday so it's going to be a crash and dash in the morning, so no need for anything nice.

We could stay at my parents in Venice, but that's a 200 mile drive, and I'd probably hit an alligator crossing the Everglades!

The gators are well fenced in. I never even see any anymore. Kind of a sad drive. No gators or data connection...lol

Coconut Grove was my original thinking, seems nice. But, since I know I'll have packing anxiety and we'll arrive late, the Latin Cafe directly across the street and open til midnight won me over.

Keep in touch, let me know how parking and the hotel go. I'll do the same if you would like. cruisejmo@gmail.com

We go in July.

The gators are well fenced in. I never even see any anymore. Kind of a sad drive. No gators or data connection...lol

Coconut Grove was my original thinking, seems nice. But, since I know I'll have packing anxiety and we'll arrive late, the Latin Cafe directly across the street and open til midnight won me over.

I could do without the gators. Can see them here, and on vacations have seen them in the wild - no worries, I'm faster than my wife ;) But can't go across the everglades without Spotify!

Coconut Grove does look very nice, but most of those hotels have additional fees for parking. So in addition to more for the room for one night, now parking.

We have changed our approach though, and will be leaving after work on Thursday, stopping in south Jacksonville that night and then finishing the drive on Friday to give us a little more time in Miami. Looking at places right around University of Miami in Coral Gables - can take the Metro Rail downtown from there, but I think at this point I've reached Analysis Paralysis.

Though Latin Cafe....mmmmm :)

I could do without the gators. Can see them here, and on vacations have seen them in the wild - no worries, I'm faster than my wife ;) But can't go across the everglades without Spotify!

Coconut Grove does look very nice, but most of those hotels have additional fees for parking. So in addition to more for the room for one night, now parking.

We have changed our approach though, and will be leaving after work on Thursday, stopping in south Jacksonville that night and then finishing the drive on Friday to give us a little more time in Miami. Looking at places right around University of Miami in Coral Gables - can take the Metro Rail downtown from there, but I think at this point I've reached Analysis Paralysis.

Though Latin Cafe....mmmmm :)

Don't stay at the airport, you'll want to kill yourself.

As far as the Latin Cafe, Cuban restaurants are on every corner and in many convenience stores.

Much better restaurants in Coral Gables, Ortanique has some of the best food you'll ever eat. Caribbean farm to table.

Coral Gables is hard to explain but it is much more than a suburban neighborhood. It is one of the most gorgeous, wealthiest areas in the US. Since you have an extra day, check out: The Biltmore, Miracle Mile, Vizcaya, and the Venitian Pool to start.

Venitian Pool: http://coralgables.com/index.aspx?page=167

The Biltmore: http://www.biltmorehotel.com/

Miracle Mile: http://www.shopcoralgables.com/

Vizcaya (you'll recognize it from all the movies filmed there): http://vizcaya.org/

Ortanique: http://ortaniquerestaurants.com/

Best Cuban? Havana Harrys: http://www.havanaharrys.net/

Edited to add that Coral Gables is a historic Cuban neighborhood.

Edited by BlueHerons

Don't stay at the airport, you'll want to kill yourself.

As far as the Latin Cafe, Cuban restaurants are on every corner and in many convenience stores.

Much better restaurants in Coral Gables, Ortanique has some of the best food you'll ever eat. Caribbean farm to table.

Coral Gables is hard to explain but it is much more than a suburban neighborhood. It is one of the most gorgeous, wealthiest areas in the US. Since you have an extra day, check out: The Biltmore, Miracle Mile, Vizcaya, and the Venitian Pool to start.

Venitian Pool: http://coralgables.com/index.aspx?page=167

The Biltmore: http://www.biltmorehotel.com/

Miracle Mile: http://www.shopcoralgables.com/

Vizcaya (you'll recognize it from all the movies filmed there): http://vizcaya.org/

Ortanique: http://ortaniquerestaurants.com/

Best Cuban? Havana Harrys: http://www.havanaharrys.net/

Edited to add that Coral Gables is a historic Cuban neighborhood.

Wow, that is a lot of very useful info. Much appreciated. I'll save that for when we have more time to enjoy the area. Thanks a bunch!

BlueHerons - thanks for all the info. Miracle Mile looks like a good destination.

cruiseMJO - what we decided to do was to split the trip up. The night before, we'll leave Atlanta after work and go to Jacksonville for the night. That puts us halfway there, and takes the load off me having to do 10 hours in one day. I've done it, but I'm grumpy at the end! This will let us get in around lunch or so on Friday and have time go see a little of Miami. (I'm sure my daughter would love to track down a Giant African Land Snail as she thinks they're cute!)

We have a room at the Holiday Inn Coral Gables we got through ticketsatwork.com - a perk from work $81 before taxes, $95 with - cheaper than hotwire and not guesswork. A 10 mile/30 min drive to the port, and there is a M-Path station less than half a mile if we choose to go downtown. And 1.5m from Havana Harry's which sounds really good.