First time cruisers

aussandy

We are sailing on Pride of America on the 10th of December and would really appreciate any info re shore excursions. Whats good, whats not.

Family of 4 kids 17 and 15 from australia. Excited but totally confused if we should book excursions now or wait. Any info would help. Read a lot of conflicting reviews on this ship. Any good stories?

Thanks

The itinerary is Hawaii, my favorite place!

My advice would be to rent a car on Maui and Kauai and also the Hilo side of the Big Island, to explore the islands on your own. With the exception of Honolulu, all of the islands are easy to navigate. I would definitely plan on seeing Volcano National park on the Big Island (Hilo). Beach time on Maui, Waimea Canyon on Kauai, snorkeling in Kona, these are just some of the things we have enjoyed.

In the past, we have gotten a tour guide of the islands and read through it to plan our days. Visiting the Ports of Call board here for Hawaii can turn up some suggestions, but still look through a book.

We have travelled there with our kids in the past and have to say the best time we had with them was the snorkeling and beach times. Kids are usually not big on sightseeing.

Have an awesome trip!

Hi

I cruised Hawaii in Jan of 01 on the ms Patriot of US Lines (now defunct). But hopefully this info will be helpful

1. If any of you carefor flowers the Botanical Gardens in Maui are excellent.

2. The rain forest walk at Io Point in Maui was good, too. But it is not the thick rain forest like you think of in the Amazon.

3. Mount Haleakala at sunrise. SUPER-DUPER. The beauty of the sun as it rises over the crater at the mount top is unbelievable. You can take a bus up and down, or you can ride up, see the sunrise, and then bicycle down hill. Its no pedaling, but you have to squeeze the hand brakes all the way, which tires the hands, and the switchback road can be tricky.

4. Pearl Harbor. Best to sign up for a tour. Not a ship's tour, just a tour. Otherwise while the ticket is free, you will find yourself in a very long wait.

5. Oahu -- Polynesian Cultural Center. This gets lots of talk. But I found it a let down. I did a "luau" as part of my park admission. Wish I had done a real luau with a different company. If you don't go to the PCC, don't feel like you have missed out.

Thanks so much for info. So difficult to decide what trips to do with two teenagers. We have 3 days post cruise in Honolulu so may do Pearl Harbour then. Did want to do a "luau". Which island would you suggest to do this?

Archived