Duty free in Guernsey

Whitelaw87

Hi folks new to this and cruising, I'm going on a short one week cruise in July on Britannia, the cruise visits ports in France and Spain but also visits Guernsey, I was wondering if it will still be possible to purchase duty free stuff on the ship in Guernsey and if so does anyone have an idea of the tobacco and spirit prices? Is it even much cheaper than here? I'm new to this so if this post is in the wrong place my apologies, this is also my first cruise :D

If you mean alcohol and tobacco, then it will be cheaper in Spain. The Channel Islands are cheaper than mainland UK, but not as cheap as Spain. I don't know what you are thinking of buying, but I was in Malaga 3 weeks ago and a litre of Gordons gin in a normal supermarket was 10 Euros.

I think I'm also on the same cruise on the 16th, I was also wondering the same thing, I have always find the cigarettes and Tabacco on board a really good price and never thought of buying on land!

Are you allowed to bring the maximum alcohol limit, cigarettes and tobacco or just one of them categories

Thanks

This is going to be my first cruise but I'm pretty sure you are allowed the maximum tobacco products and the maximum drinks, the p&o website says that any duty free drink you buy will be given to you after the cruise, whereas tobacco you can get as you purchase. Is it the Iberia cruise you are on? Guernsey - la Corunna - Bilbao - La Rochelle

From past experience Spain will be cheaper. However whatever you do don't hold out for guernsey! Im sure your aware there could be a chance that you might not get in due to the weather or another reason. If you can't get in you won't be able to make a duty free purchase from the onboard shops as that will be your 'tax free port' and if you miss it you won't be entitled- all from past experience where we missed Guernsey due to a medical emergency and there was uproar as people held out for Guernsey and then couldn't purchase at duty free prices from that point on. However if you purchase before Guernsey and you miss the port this won't affect you.

My recommendation would be to either buy in Spain or buy early on onboard. Prices for cigarettes are very good and liquor reasonable.

PS: Hope the above makes sense

On P and O ship's you are allowed to take alcohol on board for personal consumption , not like other cruise lines. So, if you buy it in Spain you will be able to take it to your cabin. If you buy from the onboard Duty Free shop I think they keep it until your last day.

I am a regular visitor to the Channel Islands as my daughter lives in Jersey. The Channel Islands are not members of the EU, so you can get duty free under the old allowances in the duty free shop at ports and airports. I am not a smoker but bring tobacco back for a friend regularly. It's 200 cigarettes and litre of spirit limit per person. They will sell you more as the onus is on you.

I can tell you the tobacco is cheaper in duty free shop than it is in Spain, but don't know about spirits. Prices on the Island itself are UK prices or slightly higher

Edited by Mr Piano

On P and O ship's you are allowed to take alcohol on board for personal consumption , not like other cruise lines. So, if you buy it in Spain you will be able to take it to your cabin. If you buy from the onboard Duty Free shop I think they keep it until your last day.

Last time we went to Guernsey the tender was so choppy and my 6ft 4 husband fell over with our then young son, wasn't a good experience. You can take cigarettes with you back to your cabin when buying on board and they were a good price.Last year in lanzarote we got 200 menthol Stirling, 40 Mayfair superkings and a bottle of captain Morgan's I think its called and it came to 28 euros! We couldn't believe the price!

Yes that's the one we are going on never been to bilbao or la Rochelle before

I take it if you get caught with extra duty free stuff it will be a case of pay the extra duty or get them confiscated? I won't be made to walk the plank or be exiled on the island of Guernsey? Did your husband fall into the sea when using the tender? No doubt that will happen to me good chance my wife even shoves me :D

No he was inside the tender luckily but everyone was really helpful, my son was a bit traumatised as he was only two and has additional needs.

I am the same I would never exceed the limit I'm too much of a follow the rules person!

If you buy Duty Free in a supermarket in another EU country you can bring an almost unlimited amount as long as it is for personal use. If you buy in the shop on board ship then you are restricted to 1 litre of spirits and 200 cigarettes.

If you buy Duty Free in a supermarket in another EU country you can bring an almost unlimited amount as long as it is for personal use. If you buy in the shop on board ship then you are restricted to 1 litre of spirits and 200 cigarettes.

You cannot buy duty free from a supermarket. Anything you buy is duty paid, although the duty is many EU countries is considerably less than the UK and hence the cheaper price. The sales on the ship are duty free and hence the restriction. Note Gibraltar is outside the EU duty area and hence anything purchased there comes under the duty free restriction.

Brian