Taxi cost from Downtown Athens to Port of Piraeus (Vista)

HawkIVette

Looking for an idea of the best way for transportation from our hotel downtown Athens to the post this September. Thought about the bus, but looked like still a good walk to the ship. Taxi is most likely the way we will go.

Anybody have a good idea of the cost and time frame to get there? Also will I need Euro or do the Taxi's take a Credit Card?

Moderator: feel free to move this to Ports section if you feel the need.

Edited by HawkIVette

We took a taxi from the port to our hotel, Hilton Athens, and the driver charged 20 Euros. Our friends followed us in another taxi and their driver charged 25 Euros. We paid in cash. I think most of the taxi drivers will only take cash. The taxi fee from our hotel to the airport was a set fee of 38 Euros. I was really surprised that the rate from the port to the hotel was that cheap. It is definitely the most convenient way to go!

Thanks. The bus might be an option now that they get a little closer to the port. Last fall I didn't see that X80 line running the close to the drop off.

As for the taxi, if would certainly be more conveinent for door to door service, but we are traveling as a group of 5, so probably need 2 taxi's.

Thanks for the info. Exactly what I needed.

Edited by HawkIVette

I used Welcome Pickups in Athens to get from the hotel to the port. I believe it was 25 Euros. You can pay ahead of time.

Just a slight warning if you use them, they adjust two hours from the time you put in for when the ship leaves. Basically, I wanted to be there at about noon. So, that is what I put as departure time of the ship. They arranged pickup at 10. My driver actually showed up at 9, but he wasn't in any hurry. He told me if I needed to do anything, go and do it.

I liked them a lot in Athens... Barcelona, not so much.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Tourist Trap Warning!!!!

"Some" taxi drivers in Athens are notorious rob-dogs!

I only put "some" in inverted commas so as not to be xenophobic, but in my experience they mostly are.....

So, I would sooner pre-book a transfer on-line with a recommended service, or a fixed price through my hotel concierge, than trust a casual taxi hail!

I speak from experience:

The first time we went to Athens, we stayed at an airport hotel. The taxi charged me "8" in their currency for a one mile drive. The hotel front desk said we should only have paid "0.80" for the short journey, and think yourself lucky as an Arab family were charged "80".....

The second time, we got a cab from Piraeus to the Parthenon, and then to the centre, Plaka. That driver refused to take us to Plaka, and said there were football riots ongoing. When we dispensed with him, we made our own way to Plaka, to find he was a liar.

The third time, we booked a cab from Glyfada to the airport, he drove miles away in the wrong direction, joining traffic jams I could see on my Google Maps, and overcharged me for luggage. Moreover, he was on his mobile phone the whole journey!

It ended up at the airport that he called the tourist police when I refused to pay his over-priced fare, and after forensic examination of his charges, the cops found in my favour!

Like the best barristers say, "Never ask a question in court that you do not already know the answer to".

Likewise, in Athens, know the full price of your journey before you embark on it!