Solstice, Still Magic: Detailed Trip Report

HenGypsy

Thanks to those of you who pointed out the image problems. Now, I am going to try again using a different method. Once again, here is the 'Welcome Aboard' flier. I'll be redoing the other dailies also, stay tuned.

file

Here, once again, in more readable format, is the Day 3 Daily.

file

file

file

file

Here is the coupon sheet for Select members of the Captain's Club. We only used the coupon for 'two items pressed free.' Each of us received our own sheet of coupons.

file

Nothing available for me to click on to see the dailies or coupons. Thanks for trying.

thank you so much for your detailed review....looking forward to seeing the rest of your posts.... my husband and I will be first time solstice cruisers from Australia to New Zealand in November to celebrate his retirement. the more I read about this ship, the more I am certain that we will love it....

Cheers

Belinda

Day 4, Tracy Arm and Juneau

(So sorry about the image issues, everyone. I will keep working on that, but in the meantime, I want to keep posting useful stuff, so here is my day 4 report.)

Get up. It’s mandatory. You must not miss this morning of cruising. You may not know it yet, but this is why you came to Alaska. DH and I have seen Tracy Arm over a dozen times, but still get excited about. But this morning, we learn that it’s not safe for the ship to go in. So the Captain is opting to take us into Endicott Arm instead. This is a bonus for us, because it’s new territory. It’s similar to Tracy Arm. Mountains towering over the ship, sometimes so close you feel like you can touch them. Fizzing blue icebergs floating by, a few with seals resting upon them. A changing landscape scraped out by glaciers. Vegetation defined by how much time has passed since the glacier receded. Amazing geology, beauty. It makes one feel very small. Listen for the silence. Awesome. And listen for Brent Nixon’s narration which helps you understand the significance of what you’re seeing. You can hear it on your TV if you wish. The ship came within one mile of Dawes glacier at the end of fjord. We did witness some calving. The thunder of it is as cool as the sight of it. Then the ship turned around in place (quite a maneuver!) so everyone could see from all sides of the ship, and headed back out. I think we left Endicott Arm about 10 am.

Looking back, I am now sorry I missed the chef show on cooking Alaskan salmon. Later in the cruise, we attended the steak cooking presentation and learned so much. More on that later.

We went to a photo seminar and learned some helpful tips on using our iphones and ipads to take pictures. I would guess that most people have features on their phone camera they don’t realize are there or they don’t know how to use. It was worth our time.

As is our style, we decided not to join the mad rush to hurry up and wait for a tender into Juneau. At one point we wandered by the tender ticket pick-up area and received tickets for tender #13. I believe the ship tenders every other time they dock in Juneau. (The tender schedule is on the internet; not sure what the website is.) It’s a slow process to get so many people off the ship a few little boats at a time. I’m not sure how Celebrity could make this process better; at least they could acknowledge that it takes a very long time, that they know it is inconvenient and frustrating, and be clear that just because we arrive at 1:30 doesn’t mean you’ll be in Juneau at 1:30. Not having a tour scheduled, we just relaxed. Had some lunch. Did some reading. Enjoyed a pot of tea. Walked leisurely around the ship and watched eagles flying overhead. With our beverage package, we got a smoothie and unusual juice blend from the AquaSpa Café—these are good, but generally not very icy or sweet. We also got some got freshly cut strawberries with mascarpone cheese and balsamic vinegar—the food is complimentary; you can help yourself. Meanwhile, we could hear the tender numbers being called from places around the ship (including the cabins), so really there was no need to sit and wait in the foyer.

Our primary destination this time in Juneau was Tracy’s Crab Shack. For less than $40, we opted for Combo #1. It includes a bowl of bisque, crab cakes (4 small, served with spicy sauce), a roll, drawn butter, and a massive king crab leg. The crab was wonderful and fun to eat. Be sure to get the crab tool; they don’t just hand it to you. The other stuff was okay. We made some phone calls, looked in a native shop, and watched the local ravens. The ravens are very common here, like our crows. They look like huge crows but have different vocalizations and are even smarter. I found a feather for my feather collection. We also saw a bald eagle swoop low and land on a post by the tender dock.

Back on the ship, we made a sauna run, and had some tea sandwiches in the buffet. These are wonderful! Each evening from 4-5 pm, these little sandwiches are on offer and you can help yourself to scones with jam and clotted cream, as well. It does fill us up, though, so we just had buffet snacks later instead of a full dinner.

Tonight I was determined to stay up for the performance in the grand foyer. We watched from the 6th floor elevator atrium area and had a great view. The costumed dancers and singers came down the stairs in groups and performed fun music and choreographed dance from the 60s. Then a few of them went into the elevators and danced in the windows as the elevators went up and down. It was fun to see the expressions of the people getting on those elevators. For those of you who aren’t aware, the atrium is an open area many floors high, with the main bank of maybe 8 elevators around its edges. One wall of each elevator is a clear window into the atrium, affording amazing beautiful views as you travel up and down. The full-size tree hanging in the atrium is a real tree. After the show, many people continued the party on the dance floor. We went to bed.

This is probably a good time to mention that Alaska is called the land of the midnight sun for a reason. Even this far south, it stays light late and gets light early. And the darkness seems pretty thin. We held the curtains firmly together with a clothes pin. When I peeked out the curtains at night, it was rarely totally dark and there was occasionally some amazing scenery.

Thank you so much for your most informative reviews!! This will be our 4th Alaska cruise -- 2nd time on Celebrity. We did meet Brent Nixon on our first Celebrity cruise 10 years ago on the Mercury -- he really makes the trip enjoyable and we're so looking forward to seeing him again on our cruise in a couple of weeks (June 17). So glad your review and trip was a positive one!!! Hopefully ours will be the same and the weather will cooperate -- all of our other trips we've been very lucky to have great weather!

Day 5, Skagway

[i will re-post dailies etc. For now, here's my Day 5 Trip Report. Enjoy!]

I woke up as we were docking in Skagway. It’s often windy here. Today, there was a little light rain on and off with mild/cool temps. Again, we’ve been here several times so weren’t in a hurry to get off the ship and didn’t have any tours booked this time. We took our time with coffee, tea, and breakfast buffet. We never did get room service; we just loved the variety in the buffet and choosing our own portions.

Important tip: when you get off the ship, you will see a golf cart sort of vehicle coming and going. Take it!! It is a free (tips appreciated) shuttle available to everyone which takes you to the other end of the dock. The dock is a long walk and this cart will save you time and mileage. We always see so many people walking who aren’t aware of this free service and feel badly for them. Once you are at the end of the dock you might choose to walk into town or take a shuttle bus for 2 bucks each way or $5 all day access. We take the shuttle. We enjoy seeing some of the national parks exhibits, visiting art galleries, and of course I like to pick up my must-have glacier naturals lip stain, this time in brick-red.

A word about the weather, if I might. In all our years travelling to Southeast Alaska in May through September, we have never brought gloves or parkas, and have never felt like we needed them. Usually, the weather is mild and wet. Sometimes it’s downright warm. In any case, we just layer up with warm under-layers and water-resistant or water-proof jacket and hats, and I carry a bag to unload our layers into when we don’t need them. DH likes his waterproof shoes, too.

This afternoon, back on the ship, we attended a sushi-making demonstration. A couple guests helped make the sushi. The ship really has been offering a nice selection of sushi in the buffet. I suspect that will end when the Bistro becomes Sushi on 5 after the October refurb.

Tonight, we have reserved the Murano for dinner. Really, tonight is the best night to eat in Tuscan Grille because of the fabulous views from the back of the ship as it leaves Skagway—if you want to do that, reserve it early! But we’ve opted for Murano instead, with closed-curtain windows, silly us. We both get 2 starters and the lobster prepared table side—very delicious. We order the cheese plate as well--excellent. For desert, I choose the strawberry crepe and DH opts for the soufflé. Really, we are too full to fully appreciate these beautiful creations and barely dent them. They also bring a surprise tray of candies, including wonderful candied fruit, jellies, and chocolates.

After dinner, we’re off to another captain’s club party with fancy orderves, drinks, ship’s officers, and music. Very nice, indeed. And still some pretty scenery out the windows.

We hit the second showing of Rock City after that. It was fabulous! Talented, energetic performers having so much fun. The whole house gave a standing ovation. Really, the entertainment has been taken up a big notch on this ship.

Thank you so much for your most informative reviews!! This will be our 4th Alaska cruise -- 2nd time on Celebrity. We did meet Brent Nixon on our first Celebrity cruise 10 years ago on the Mercury -- he really makes the trip enjoyable and we're so looking forward to seeing him again on our cruise in a couple of weeks (June 17). So glad your review and trip was a positive one!!! Hopefully ours will be the same and the weather will cooperate -- all of our other trips we've been very lucky to have great weather!

Thanks for your comment! I wish you a fabulous cruise. June 17 is right around the corner!

I am enjoying your review. Sounds like you had a great time. I am getting anxious for my cruise on the Solstice beginning July 8th.

I bet you'll have a wonderful time on your upcoming cruise. Just one month away...I'm sure you're counting down. Enjoy!

thank you so much for your detailed review....looking forward to seeing the rest of your posts.... my husband and I will be first time solstice cruisers from Australia to New Zealand in November to celebrate his retirement. the more I read about this ship, the more I am certain that we will love it....

Cheers

Belinda

You are welcome! I hope you have a grand time in November. Can't think of a better way to celebrate a retirement.

Great review. Will be on the Solstice July 8th. I'll have time to lose a few more pounds so I can gain them back. :D Do you remember what time Brent Nixon's show was on embarkation day? We were on the Infinity 6 years ago and were totally mesmerized by his performances.

Great review. Will be on the Solstice July 8th. I'll have time to lose a few more pounds so I can gain them back. :D Do you remember what time Brent Nixon's show was on embarkation day? We were on the Infinity 6 years ago and were totally mesmerized by his performances.

LOL! Yes, Celebrity knows what they got with Brent, and he was THE show on opening night, appearing at 7pm and 9pm in the Solstice Theater. This first appearance is called "Alaska: The Journey Begins." Have fun in July!

I plan to post all the dailies soon.

"For desert, I choose the strawberry crepe and DH opts for the soufflé."

on our Reflection TA we ate in Murano twice. We ordered these deserts both times. But the second time I had them take a small amount of the crepes sauce and pour it over the souffle. To die for!!!

Day 5, Skagway

Important tip: when you get off the ship, you will see a golf cart sort of vehicle coming and going. Take it!! It is a free (tips appreciated) shuttle available to everyone which takes you to the other end of the dock. The dock is a long walk and this cart will save you time and mileage. We always see so many people walking who aren’t aware of this free service and feel badly for them.

DH and I are just the opposite...by the time we reach Skagway we're desperately in need of a long walk and always enjoy the trek to and from town. :D

"For desert, I choose the strawberry crepe and DH opts for the soufflé."

on our Reflection TA we ate in Murano twice. We ordered these deserts both times. But the second time I had them take a small amount of the crepes sauce and pour it over the souffle. To die for!!!

What a great way to customize your desert! Good tip.