CA to Epic Haven (June 05, 2016 Embarkation)

fatherlu

First I wanted to say thank you for this thread! Like many others, I have really struggled to find decent information on the Haven, even NCL dining had no clue what the menus were like!

My family of 6 is staying in the 2BR Villa as well, I just had 2 quick questions:

I went ahead and booked all of our dinners early before they filled up, but was not able to book any meals in the Haven dining room. Did you find that it was difficult to get a table whenever your family wanted to eat?

Did you ever use the dining in your room option or room service? Thank you!

First I wanted to say thank you for this thread! Like many others, I have really struggled to find decent information on the Haven, even NCL dining had no clue what the menus were like!

My family of 6 is staying in the 2BR Villa as well, I just had 2 quick questions:

I went ahead and booked all of our dinners early before they filled up, but was not able to book any meals in the Haven dining room. Did you find that it was difficult to get a table whenever your family wanted to eat?

Did you ever use the dining in your room option or room service? Thank you!

Exactly! With difficulties of finding more detailed information on the Epic Haven was the reason why I started this thread. While I won't be able to answer all questions, I will hopefully try--and I would like to invite other recent Epic Haven cruisers to answer where I have can't--due to failure to use a particular Haven privilege, etc.

As for booking reservations in the Haven dining room, you will never need to do that. The Haven guests are such a small and elite group of passengers on the Epic that I have never seen any Haven guest not being able to walk right in and get seated. It is even easier if you have a party of more than 2. Even on the busiest days and at the most busy times, the Haven Epic Club (restaurant) was never more than half filled.

The chances of you and your party of 6 having the same exact table is 90% most of the time.

As for the Epic Club room service option, I used that on 4 occasions. Once because a daughter was not feeling well on that day and the other three because we wanted to eat more lobster and sea bass that night (after having lobster, etc. at the restaurant). It was very easy--just call the butler and he/she will arrange it to be delivered within 30 to 45 minutes.

As a tip for those who are wondering how many entrees one can order--since the 1.5 pounds lobster or other seafood plate may be very light compared to entrees like steak, etc., the answer from the assistant manager Daniel is that you can order as many entrees as you like--dining at the restaurant or for room service! Daniel shared with me a story that a Haven guest initially ordered 3 lobsters and because it wasn't enough, ordered a final fourth! He said that's how he eats himself--and he's the assistant manager! As a Haven guest, they are there to take care of your needs. My only thought is not to waste food--but if you can eat it all--the rule is to allow you to order as much as you like.

Most of the time, I can't eat it all, especially with appetizer and dessert. However, if you and your party can, go for it. And if you are more modest eating so many entrees in public, order it for room service later--all permissible.

A note also about the shrimp cocktail appetizer and the caesar salad with shrimp (I ordered a number of these)--they are huge shrimps--the kind that costs about $19.99 a pound outside. The Pride of America Cagney's shrimp cocktail that I ordered last year were only 1/2 to 2/3 the size as compared to those I ate on the Haven Epic. Again, order as many as you can eat--but most of the time, save room for the entree and dessert.

The best menus were for breakfast and dinner. While the lunch menu is a bit less in option and quality, most of the time, you will be on excursions anyway.

Edited by fatherlu

Are you still having problems seeing the pictures? If so, have you tried any other browser?

Let me know to see if I still need to provide separate links. If no response, I will assume you have resolved it.

I got it to work. Thanks for your pics and info! So looking forward to the Haven!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fatherlu, now that you have sailed in the Haven, what do you think "unreasonable demands" would be on the staff there? I want to be sure not to be one of "those" families, yet still take advantage of all the Haven has to offer.

Thanks for your opinion!

Fatherlu, now that you have sailed in the Haven, what do you think "unreasonable demands" would be on the staff there? I want to be sure not to be one of "those" families, yet still take advantage of all the Haven has to offer.

Thanks for your opinion!

The unreasonable demands I can think of are ones that are not allowed by law, would violate safety protocols (e.g., asking butler to do a massage, to be a babysitter, to be responsible for minor children, etc.), asks for things that the ship does not have and/or to expect that things be done in less than 30 minutes. Besides those, the staff in the Haven are more than open to helping.

Now if you step outside of the Haven, things may be a bit different. For the most part, they aren't taught to focus on your Haven status. You will likely be treated as anyone else--first come, first serve.

To maintain your privilege, you should, if at all possible, do things through the butler, concierge and other Haven staff.

At the local Epic level, the go to officer is Richard Janicki, the hotel director. At our Cruise Critic meeting on board, he reassured CC members that if you couldn't resolve any issues, go to him before writing negative things about your experience. .... So if you have a problem that other staff cannot resolve, remember Richard Janicki, your hotel director.

Not a Haven user (although I'm sure it would be wonderful), but I was glad to read that Richard is still the Hotel Director. I never even needed any help, but he was so pleasant every time I passed him (which was frequently). He also does a very humorous and sincere presentation at the M&G's. I just love that guy and hope he will still be on board for my TA Oct. 30. I'm sure he provides the same service to Haven and non-Haven guests. FWIW, even if you showed him my picture, he wouldn't have the least idea who I am or that I'd ever been on Epic.

Edited by Rhea98

Not a Haven user (although I'm sure it would be wonderful), but I was glad to read that Richard is still the Hotel Director. I never even needed any help, but he was so pleasant every time I passed him (which was frequently). He also does a very humorous and sincere presentation at the M&G's. I just love that guy and hope he will still be on board for my TA Oct. 30. I'm sure he provides the same service to Haven and non-Haven guests. FWIW, even if you showed him my picture, he wouldn't have the least idea who I am or that I'd ever been on Epic.

Mr. Janicki was quite kind to me--and I'm sure he'd be the same way to every guest, regardless of stateroom. Coming from CA, I faced a 9-hour time difference. I had difficulties sleeping through the night. Here's an embarrassing story of one night--around 3 in the morning when I couldn't sleep. I needed to contact Richard in the morning about the internet manager issue but couldn't remember any of the officers' extension who were at the CC M&G, except for maybe his (it was, I thought, four of the same number). Having a lack of sleep at 3 in the morning and not in my proper frame of mind, I thought I'd just call that 4-digit extension I vaguely remember from the M&G presentation, thinking like back home, I'd get a voicemail after hours--then I would just hang up upon confirming whose voicemail that belonged to. Well...to my surprise, Richard picked up at 3 in the morning to my test call. In a split second, I thought about hanging up but I was awake enough to realize that I had already woken him up, if he had been asleep, and he probably had my caller ID anyway! So I embarrassingly apologized for the late call--told him I'd call him during the day. When I did call him back during the afternoon to discuss the issue with him, he was not satisfied with talking over the phone. He said that he would come to where I was within 10 minutes. He is a really gracious and outstanding hotel director.

Thank you for sharing more about this wonderful officer. In the M&G's I've attended, he always jokes about "if you have a problem, call this one or that one," but somehow we know he'll help if needed. I had the same internet "not disconnecting" issue once. I didn't go to the internet director (I think it was a different person), but I did buy unlimited internet on my next cruise for the peace of mind. It was worth it for me.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

fatherlu,

Thank you so very much for your review and capturing your cruise through photos. My DH asked me if I would like to sail on the Epic leaving from Barcelona instead of going to Bermuda for our anniversary. Of course I chose the Epic! We are still in the planning pre-book phase for 2017. We have chosen an Aft Haven Penthouse deciding the walk would do us good and I could also sail in the Aft Penthouse location I love.

• 5 weeks later...
Can't open links.

I don't recall placing any links in this thread--just pictures that should show up. Try another browser if you have difficulties seeing the pictures. Thanks for visiting.

I don't recall placing any links in this thread--just pictures that should show up. Try another browser if you have difficulties seeing the pictures. Thanks for visiting.

Yes, pictures. I will try that. Thank you!

• 1 month later...
Thank you so much for all the information and pictures. You really answered a lot of my questions. We are considering sharing the 2 bedroom villa with another couple. Does the second (tiny) bedroom have a closet and/or other dresser?

Yes...the smaller bedroom does have a (small) combo closet/dresser.

There is a big difference between the main bedroom/bathroom and the smaller bedroom/2nd bathroom. The main one is more luxurious and the smaller bedroom is a bit tight...more for children than for adults. It is doable for adults but the cost sharing may want to be proportionalized to be fair.

Also, the second bedroom is usually prepared at night time for sleeping and minimized during the day by the room steward. After the third day, I asked the room steward to leave the beds out (but of course, still make it) so the children can take a nap during the day, without having to ask the steward to prepare the beds during the day.