Ephesus excursions

CrusingNana

We holidayed in Kusadasi 6/7 times from the mid 90s to the mid 00s and got to know the area quite well. I will list some of the things worth doing and also things I would not bother doing/seeing. Please note, this is only my personal observations, and other people will possibly disagree with my opinions.

Ephesus is definitely worth visiting it is about 20 mins drive from Kusadasi near the town of Selcuk. It is an amazing Roman city, particular points of interest are the library and the amphitheatre. I also believe that since our last visit a lot of the dwellings have been excavated on the hillside overlooking the city. For the first time visitor a guide is essential. The nearby town of Selcuk is also worth a visit, it has a museum with a lot of the artifacts discovered at Ephesus.

The House of the Virgin Mary (Merymana) Up in the hills near Ephesus is a small chapel and house which is believed to be the place where the mother of Jesus spent her last few years. It is in a beautiful setting among pine-clad hills, I found the place to be peaceful and awe inspiring. The site is revered by both Catholics and Muslims.

The Temple of Artemis. Although this site is listed as one of the seven wonders of the world there is, in my opinion, very little to see. All that remains is a rebuilt column of mismatched fragments sitting in overgrown wasteland.

Beaches. If you fancy a day on the beach then there are some great ones around Kusadasi. Town beach is right in the town, the most popular ones are Ladies beach and Long beach, we preferred Paradise beach which is a little way out of town, but easily reached by the local bus (dolmus) or taxi.

Shopping. We found Kusadasi to be great for shopping and the Grand Bazaar is certainly worth a browse. The shopkeepers can be a little pushy but we never felt intimidated, just a polite no thanks and walk on if you don't want to buy is the best policy. If something does catch your eye then don't pay the asking price, haggle with them and you should be able to get a 25-30% discount.

Food and drink. We found Turkish food to be quite similar to that found in Greece like meze, kebabs etc. There are some excellent fish/seafood restaurants. If you have a sweet tooth then you must try baklava and also an ice cold glass of the local beer (Efes) goes down a treat. Turkey produces some quite passable wines, but avoid wine that seems unbelievably cheap, the locals refer to this as "dog killer"

I hope that this has been helpful, I am sure you will have a great time in Kusadasi whatever you decide to do. We always found the Turkish people to be very friendly and welcoming. Have a great trip.

We holidayed in Kusadasi 6/7 times from the mid 90s to the mid 00s and got to know the area quite well. I will list some of the things worth doing and also things I would not bother doing/seeing. Please note, this is only my personal observations, and other people will possibly disagree with my opinions.

Ephesus is definitely worth visiting it is about 20 mins drive from Kusadasi near the town of Selcuk. It is an amazing Roman city, particular points of interest are the library and the amphitheatre. I also believe that since our last visit a lot of the dwellings have been excavated on the hillside overlooking the city. For the first time visitor a guide is essential. The nearby town of Selcuk is also worth a visit, it has a museum with a lot of the artifacts discovered at Ephesus.

The House of the Virgin Mary (Merymana) Up in the hills near Ephesus is a small chapel and house which is believed to be the place where the mother of Jesus spent her last few years. It is in a beautiful setting among pine-clad hills, I found the place to be peaceful and awe inspiring. The site is revered by both Catholics and Muslims.

The Temple of Artemis. Although this site is listed as one of the seven wonders of the world there is, in my opinion, very little to see. All that remains is a rebuilt column of mismatched fragments sitting in overgrown wasteland.

Beaches. If you fancy a day on the beach then there are some great ones around Kusadasi. Town beach is right in the town, the most popular ones are Ladies beach and Long beach, we preferred Paradise beach which is a little way out of town, but easily reached by the local bus (dolmus) or taxi.

Shopping. We found Kusadasi to be great for shopping and the Grand Bazaar is certainly worth a browse. The shopkeepers can be a little pushy but we never felt intimidated, just a polite no thanks and walk on if you don't want to buy is the best policy. If something does catch your eye then don't pay the asking price, haggle with them and you should be able to get a 25-30% discount.

Food and drink. We found Turkish food to be quite similar to that found in Greece like meze, kebabs etc. There are some excellent fish/seafood restaurants. If you have a sweet tooth then you must try baklava and also an ice cold glass of the local beer (Efes) goes down a treat. Turkey produces some quite passable wines, but avoid wine that seems unbelievably cheap, the locals refer to this as "dog killer"

I hope that this has been helpful, I am sure you will have a great time in Kusadasi whatever you decide to do. We always found the Turkish people to be very friendly and welcoming. Have a great trip.

Thank you so very much for the informative response! You paint a beautiful picture of the area and I'm anxious to see it. Thank you again for taking the time to help us!

Thank you so very much for the informative response! You paint a beautiful picture of the area and I'm anxious to see it. Thank you again for taking the time to help us!

I agree with the spots listed above BUT frankly I think Ephesus and the Terrace Steps within Ephesus is enough. Ephesus is beyond amazing and a highlight of my cruise, much more than Pompeii.

We did stop at a ceramics place and a rug place only because we asked to and I bought nothing but loved it. Slightly pushy at each place but I loved loved loved learning the process at each place. I am sure they were not thrilled I didnt buy something but the whole process at each location was just amazing. I am so glad I went.

I used http://www.ephesusshuttle.com/kusadasi-to-ephesus/ephesus-artemis-temple/ and thought the tour (#2) was outstanding.

I agree with the spots listed above BUT frankly I think Ephesus and the Terrace Steps within Ephesus is enough. Ephesus is beyond amazing and a highlight of my cruise, much more than Pompeii.

We did stop at a ceramics place and a rug place only because we asked to and I bought nothing but loved it. Slightly pushy at each place but I loved loved loved learning the process at each place. I am sure they were not thrilled I didnt buy something but the whole process at each location was just amazing. I am so glad I went.

I used http://www.ephesusshuttle.com/kusadasi-to-ephesus/ephesus-artemis-temple/ and thought the tour (#2) was outstanding.

Thank you! I am not sure how much time to spend. Some tours are 3 or 4 hours and others are 8 hours. I would hate to spend the entire day if only a few hours are needed. Did you have to fill the shuttle or did the company take reservations until it was filled?

We were on the most recent sailing. Ephesus was incredible!! Especially liked the terrace houses. We skipped House of VM. We also visited Temple of Artemis and ST John's Basilica. A great view overlooking Isa Bey Mosque from there.

We opted out of all carpet/pottery demonstrations to allow more time at antiquities. I formed a small roll call your group.

VIP Ephesus tours did a great job for us!

Edited by AngMo44

Ephesus and the Terrace Steps were 2 to 2 1/2 hours.....maybe 3.

That should give u a good idea of what you should def set aside in terms of time. I think it was 1/2 hour to get there.

We were on the most recent sailing. Ephesus was incredible!! Especially liked the terrace houses. We skipped House of VM. We also visited Temple of Artemis and ST John's Basilica. A great view overlooking Isa Bey Mosque from there.

We opted out of all carpet/pottery demonstrations to allow more time at antiquities. I formed a small roll call your group.

VIP Ephesus tours did a great job for us!

Thank you!

Ephesus and the Terrace Steps were 2 to 2 1/2 hours.....maybe 3.

That should give u a good idea of what you should def set aside in terms of time. I think it was 1/2 hour to get there.

Thank you! That should free up some time for us if we don't need an all day tour.

Thank you! That should free up some time for us if we don't need an all day tour.

Cruisin Nana, I think I am on your ship, 7/19, and saw you on the roll call. Just wanted to see if you are interested in the following tour.

I am ready to book this tour with Melitour.com recommended by Rick Steves and am looking for another party to join us. Cost is $85 if there are 7-10, and the price includes lunch and the admissions including the terrace rooms.

We are a party of four. It is tour #1 on their site and includes lunch. They sent a detailed itinerary with pics and detailed descriptions if you are interested.

Teri

Details Are:

Meet with your guide at 9:30 a.m. at Kusadasi Port

(Our guide will be at the port when your ship is docking you are welcome to come out as early as you wish) (It takes 25 minutes to get to Selcuk where Ephesus is).

We will drive by the temple of Artemis of Ephesians.

• Ephesus

• Terrace Houses

• Lunch at a local Family Country House (The venue and food are out of this world beautiful and yummy hopefully your time here will be one of the highlights of your entire trip).

• Museum of Ephesus

Private Transfer back to the ship at 4:00p.m. Your ship leaves the port at 6:00p.m.

Lunch at the Country House: It will be a great get away from all the commercial and tourist-like things around you. We will welcome you with wonderful classical music and you will have a feast of grandmother cooked food, real Turkish food, and an hour of peace of mind and running away from the crowd. This will hopefully be the high light of your entire trip. We will also serve local Turkish Homemade lemonade with your meal.

The Net Tour Price Includes

Private transportation from the port to the sites

Excellent Guide

Private 6-12-16 (or Depending on your groups size) seated air-conditioned VIP Mercedes Van

All the entrance fees to the sites for the above mentioned itinerary

All the parking fees

Lunch at a local country house

Homemade lemonade with your Lunch

Bottle of cold water available at your vehicle

The Tour Price Does Not Include

Tip to Guide & Driver

Edited by Chawlee

Cruisin Nana, I think I am on your ship, 7/19, and saw you on the roll call. Just wanted to see if you are interested in the following tour.

I am ready to book this tour with Melitour.com recommended by Rick Steves and am looking for another party to join us. Cost is $85 if there are 7-10, and the price includes lunch and the admissions including the terrace rooms.

We are a party of four. It is tour #1 on their site and includes lunch. They sent a detailed itinerary with pics and detailed descriptions if you are interested.

Teri

Details Are:

Meet with your guide at 9:30 a.m. at Kusadasi Port

(Our guide will be at the port when your ship is docking you are welcome to come out as early as you wish) (It takes 25 minutes to get to Selcuk where Ephesus is).

We will drive by the temple of Artemis of Ephesians.

• Ephesus

• Terrace Houses

• Lunch at a local Family Country House (The venue and food are out of this world beautiful and yummy hopefully your time here will be one of the highlights of your entire trip).

• Museum of Ephesus

Private Transfer back to the ship at 4:00p.m. Your ship leaves the port at 6:00p.m.

Lunch at the Country House: It will be a great get away from all the commercial and tourist-like things around you. We will welcome you with wonderful classical music and you will have a feast of grandmother cooked food, real Turkish food, and an hour of peace of mind and running away from the crowd. This will hopefully be the high light of your entire trip. We will also serve local Turkish Homemade lemonade with your meal.

The Net Tour Price Includes

Private transportation from the port to the sites

Excellent Guide

Private 6-12-16 (or Depending on your groups size) seated air-conditioned VIP Mercedes Van

All the entrance fees to the sites for the above mentioned itinerary

All the parking fees

Lunch at a local country house

Homemade lemonade with your Lunch

Bottle of cold water available at your vehicle

The Tour Price Does Not Include

Tip to Guide & Driver

Teri,

I wish I had known this two days ago. We would have been interested! I just bought a four hour excursion through Carnival. It sounds like a great tour! Thank you for asking though. Btw....We have room available on our all inclusive Pompeii-Sorrento-Positano tour if you are interested. It includes an awesome meal that is in a highly recommended family restaurant. For all details of tour and menu go to italytoursharing.com. Enter port name (Naples) & date at upper right. We are the Cumo group. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

We were just there a couple of weeks ago (on the June 21 sailing), and booked a private tour through Viator that we absolutely loved! It was wonderful and such a good value for the price. You can find it here.

"Once you board your private luxurious vehicle you will drive up to a scenically wonderful coastal road before to reach the ancient Ephesus.

Upon arrival to Ephesus you will start the visit of the ancient city through the Magnesia Gate. After Ephesus you will continue to the Seven Sages winery (Yedi Bilgeler) for lunch and wine tasting. After lunch, the tour will start with an overview of the estate, which includes a five hectare winery of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Malbec and Shiraz grapes.

Highlights

Fully narrated tour

Private guide for a more personalized experience

What You Can Expect

Once you board your private luxurious vehicle you will drive up to a scenically wonderful coastal road before to reach the ancient Ephesus.

Upon arrival to Ephesus you will start the visit of the ancient city through the Magnesia Gate. Discover innumerable monuments including the Forum, the Odeon, the Library of Celsus, the Thermal Baths of Scolastika and the Great Theatre built in the Greek era and reconstructed in the Roman period, which is still noted for its remarkable acoustics. Walk back to your vehicle along the Arcadian Way, where once Mark Anthony and Cleopatra rode in procession. After Ephesus you will continue to the Seven Sages winery (Yedi Bilgeler) for lunch and wine tasting. After lunch, the tour will start with an overview of the estate, which includes a five hectare winery of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Malbec and Shiraz grapes.

In the production area you will be able to learn the process of wine making and what is needed to make fine local wine. Here you will see oak barrels, bottling machines, filtration equipment and stainless steel fermentation tanks.

After the visit to the cellar of the winery you will have the opportunity to taste three different wines produced at the “Seven Sages”.

After this wonderful visit you will drive back to the port."