Emergency contact number?

We are sailing on the Jewle next week to Alaska. We are leaving our three kids with my parents. I know we will have our phones on airplane mode while on the ship. I am wondering if there is a fast way for my parents to reach us in case of an emergency? Thank you!

Thank you! Do you know if we will be charged for an incoming call to our state room? Or would my parents be charged? I don't see that info...for an emergency the charge would be fine, but now I'm wondering if they could call us on the at "sea days" so we can talk to the kids...

Thank you! Do you know if we will be charged for an incoming call to our state room? Or would my parents be charged? I don't see that info...for an emergency the charge would be fine, but now I'm wondering if they could call us on the at "sea days" so we can talk to the kids...

I believe that phone number is an Emergency Contact Number. It is not meant for "Chit Chat" between home and the ship. Check with your cell phone company. I know my daughter was charged 50 cents a text that she either sent or received while on the ship. Actually talking with home is very expensive. Last time I heard it was over $1 a minute. Depending on your ports, sometimes you can get cell service when docked.

For anyone to reach your ship at your stateroom, you need to provide them with your stateroom #, name of ship (and, optionally, your names as registered) and they will be charged on their credit card (last time, I checked the rates - about $8 USD per minute + any taxes/fees ... so keep it sweet, short but you are free to "chit chat" away too :eek:) Very expensive and 8 times more than $1 a minute as that is for a satellite (maritime telephone) calling - land to ship. If no answer, voice mail in the stateroom will take the message & they would be charged upon getting connected on the call.

Sailing on the Jewel, I'm 95% sure it has the newer iConcierge App, which allows for calling land/home/office/pet-sitter, etc. from ship @ much less, our rates on the Breakway 2 weeks ago was 79 cents a minute ... incoming calls to that unique number is still charge (incoming to ship) at $8 USD per minute rate. Outgoing call is "cheaper" using VoIP technology on ship's WiFi inTRAnet, there is no need to pay any other fees, including the $7.95 or $9.95 or $12.95 one time activation chargef for calling/texting others on the ship. Confusing - there's been a number of recent threads & discussions about all these, just search on this forum.

The party making the call is responsible for the charges and the party receiving the call is NOT charged for the calls, generally speaking - confirm by calling your carrier on 611.

If you can wait until you are at a port, your cellular plans might have a better or competitive rate for calling, incoming & outgoing - our mobile network carrier has a cheap rate of only 20 cents, incoming & outgoing in 120+ countries, excluding coverage on cruise ships (where it is "no" service)

Texting is a low-cost option, perhaps 50 cents or 25 cents to send, and often free to 5 cents or 10 cents/25 cents to receive simple text messaging (no graphics or pictures, as that's MMS - using mobile data ...)