Charged for drinks when we have the UBP

jfleming40

We have the ultimate beverage package but just noticed we were charged for our drinks. Is this normal or will they credit us?

Where are you? Still on the ship?

Drink charges may appear on your onboard account for awhile even with the UBP. They will drop off later.

Where are you? Still on the ship?

Drink charges may appear on your onboard account for awhile even with the UBP. They will drop off later.

Still on. We are leaving Miami now. Just wanted to take care of any issues before we racked up a bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked specifically about this last week as I saw the receipt (but didn't sign) and it had a cost on it.

The bartender said it's because of drinks over the limit need to be paid for, and running it through the till with the value proves that it was under $15.

Don't worry about it. That's normal. As I said, they will eventually disappear.

Drink on!

As noted above, some charges for tax may stick while you order drinks when the ship is in port.

Edited by triptolemus

Excellent! Thanks. Is it normal to not have to sign?

Yes - very normal. No signing.

Used to be that customer had to sign for every drink. Really slowed the bar down as the bartender had to print and distribute checks to each guest. Totally pointless.

Excellent! Thanks. Is it normal to not have to sign?

We never signed for drinks but always had to sign for specialty dining, even though we had UDP and the receipt was always for $0. Husband surmised this was because there's a line asking for tips on the dining receipts...

All our drinks appear on our account for a bit before being zeroed out at some later point. This has been the case on all 4 of our UBP sailings.

Also, you will be charged Florida sales tax on drinks purchased while in port in Miami. It's about $1.50 or so per drink. Nothing to do about those charges.

Yes - very normal. No signing.

Used to be that customer had to sign for every drink. Really slowed the bar down as the bartender had to print and distribute checks to each guest. Totally pointless.

It's pointless if there is actually no charge, but if the sales tax is actually going to stick, it seems like they should make you sign for it, and give you a copy for your records, just like in the good old days.

I know they can technically charge whatever they want to your shipboard account even if you don't sign anything, but that's not the normal procedure.