Wi-Fi cost

realnurse2

This will be my first time on Ncl (Breakaway) although I have cruised on other cruiselines. Could someone please tell me the cost and efficiency of the ship's Wi-Fi or would I be better off waiting until I am in port to send messages?

Thanks!

This is specific to the Breakaway, just sailed her - 2 weeks ago and it's a MB data-based plan on usage, not by the minutes. Depending on your planned usage, might not need to spend money on a large plan or unlimited - it's faster than other ships in the NCL fleet but slower than those on RCI's. 300 MB (medium) plan is $59 and the large plan of 1,000 MB or 1GB is $125 (equivalent of our "free" NCL WiFi 250 minutes promotional plan that we opted for at time of booking ... got 1,000 minutes out of it for that 1 GB)

4ca60037aa776fc867222577ce45107d.jpg

The popular 2.4 Ghz band is crowded but we used the 5 Ghz band and that was good (not great) as fewer users on those frequencies - upload was quite acceptable using Tapatalk & FB.

575d9957a5d5ec7a4351e1aabde733ab.jpg

I will amend my (Semi Live - link below under SIGNature) review & add some extra details on it for easier reference. (i.e. see post #34)

At Dockyard, we used our cellular's international roaming plan and that was cheap & fast, much better than TBI's paid WiFi plan (3 days pass at $15, I believe)

Edited by mking8288

Just returned from Bermuda on Breakaway and did not try the ship's Internet, but I did buy the Dockyard WiFi while in port. $14.99 for 3 days unlimited access. Worked pretty well from deck 8 on the ship in the Waterfront seating area. I used it for 1-1.5 hours our first and last day in port for some work things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just received an email confirmation from NCL confirming the internet package that I picked as a promo. It says "250 minutes or 1000MB". I thought the promo was for both. Can anyone confirm who got the free internet package promo. Which is better? Thanks in advance.

I just received an email confirmation from NCL confirming the internet package that I picked as a promo. It says "250 minutes or 1000MB". I thought the promo was for both. Can anyone confirm who got the free internet package promo. Which is better? Thanks in advance.

It's 1000 MB on Breakaway, 250 minutes on all other ships. (Breakaway has billing based on megabytes instead of traditional billing by minutes, other ships will probably follow as the systems will be upgraded this summer.)

Edited by Demonyte

• 1 month later...

Quick question on this... but when a wifi plan is purchased, can it be used on multiple devices or only one? Meaning if I get the unlimited, can everyone in my party with their own devices use it at the same time, or does NCL track MAC addresses, etc to prevent this?

Thanks

NCL's WiFi plan, whether it's purchased or part of the free promotion - one or all stateroom guests can register & activate their own userid & password for WiFi access. Multiple devices can share usage on the account, one at a time only - you need to log off from device A before device B or device C, etc. can log in to use.

Yes, there are measures in place, expect your DHCP client ID and MAC to be logged from metering, whether it's by the minutes used or MB data used, instructions are provided on how to log-in and lot-out. Satellite links are shared & metered, resulting in timed-out and devices to be disconnected after a preset period of inactivity on the devices.

Send from my Nexus* via Fi Network/WiFi, VPN secured