Need suggestions on two different trips. Stay in Cocoa or Orlando?

LadyBeBop

Two trips. Would you stay in Cocoa or Orlando?

Trip 1 (unfortunately no cruise) is tentatively scheduled for the second week of April, 2017. There will be five of us, my husband and me (both mid-50s), my two daughters and one of my son-in-laws (all late 20s/early 30s) and my granddaughter (age 8).

The four younger persons want to spend a couple of days at Universal/Orlando. They will probably spend a night or two on-site to get front-of-line privileges.

Other than that, would you stay in Cocoa or Orlando for the remaining five days? We like staying on the beach, however other than the Kennedy Space Center, is there enough to do around there? We are not fond of Daytona, and the Gulf Coast is a little far. My husband and I will probably stay behind the days the other four go to Universal.

If we decide on Orlando, is there enough to do there? We aren't doing Disney this trip.

I know my eldest daughter and her husband want to stay in Orlando throughout the trip. My husband wants to stay on the beach. I don't care; as long as there's fruity drinks with umbrellas involved.

Either location, we will probably trade into a timeshare from RCI.

Trip 2 is just my husband and me, a little over six months later. Crushing out of Port Canaveral. Unlike trip #1 in which we will probably drive, we are flying this trip. I'm a little nervous about flying, so I want to get in early the day before. Hoping that means we hit the Orlando airport (probably MCO) a full 24 hours before we board the ship.

Would you stay in Cocoa or Orlando? I'm thinking we can spend much of Friday afternoon on the beach. But our cruise is port/beach intensive, so would it be better to just stay in Orlando? Hotel rooms would be cheaper right? But again, would there be enough to do?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.

Edited by LadyBeBop

If you arrive early enough . Rent a car and drive to Cocoa Beach. That way you aren't an hour away from the port in the morning.

As to what else near Cocoa Beach besides Kennedy Space center.

Near Titiusville there is an Astronaut Museum and a plane museum.

If i remember , Patrick Air-force base (south of Cocoa Beach) also has a museum.

I would say stay in Orlando on the first trip and Cocoa Beach on the second trip. There is a lot more to do in Orlando other than Disney and Universal. There are lots of hotels with resort-like amenities where you can relax around the pool or even a lake. If you have never been to Sea World, it is worth spending a day there.

For the second trip I would rent a car and drive to Cocoa Beach. It should cost about the same or less than a shuttle and gives you more flexibility for restaurants and activities you may want to do. The next morning you can drop off your luggage at the port, drop of the rental car and grab the rental car shuttle back to port. Others prefer to just take a shuttle from MCO to their hotel in Cocoa, then use the hotel shuttle to the port. Either way works, just depends on your preference.

Our home base is the sleepy town of Cape Canaveral and the slightly busier Cocoa Beach!

Things are laid back around here. We have a pier with several restaurants and the port restaurants most cruisers know about. Only a few restaurants have clear water views and the menu fare is much the same.

We do not have a mall (15-minute drive away) or major entertainment other than mini-golf and happy hours and live music at the various bars. We do not have fun long boardwalks to stroll (think Hollywood Fl for example). After 10pm the options for nightlife diminish! Many residents are active with cycling and walking and water activities instead. Adventurous stuff (airboats, etc) and museums are available but you can stay in Orlando and experience the same.

We visit Orlando to do exciting things then after a day in the city we are always happy to drive home to a quiet existence! It is only an hour away so one can easy stay here and play in Orlando or stay there and visit here and so on.

So, if you are looking for excitement then Orlando is the place. For a quiet time at the beach then come to Cocoa Beach! You may see more people in April and the restaurants/beach are busier but that's about it!

Edited by SteerageJoe