Recommendations for Juneau

julie aka social director

Well, from my research there are many water adventures. Everything from whale watching to glacier watching to animals along the shore watching. There are the tons of fish adventures including lunch. Renting a car and driving to the glacier.

Juneau is a small town. Walk around, grab lunch and a brewski.

if you can't decide (like my first visit).... check out the "Best of Juneau" combo tour from the ship. All the planning is done for you.

Here's some excursion ideas from one cruise line...

[YOUTUBE]RiaOlvSRMAk[/YOUTUBE]

I did a whale watching excursion through Harv & Marv, followed by Mt. Roberts Tramway on my own. The tramway was very easy to get a ticket and wander by myself - it's right next to the main docks, simple to buy a ticket and get into line. My only regret was that I didn't have more time to walk the nature trails (they are long if you want hiking or can be abbreviated if you just want an easy stroll through the trees to check out flowers, birds, and views) before having to head back down to rejoin my ship. There's also a theater that does shows, a nice restaurant, and a very good pair of gift shops (one is a "nature shop" alongside the trails) as well as a rescued bald eagle, Lady Baltimore who shows off her regal self in her cage. To travel to the Mendenhall Glacier on your own takes some advance planning, since it is a pricy cab ride from the cruise ship piers, but there are many available excursions either through the cruise lines or alone to get there.

The Tramway is easy to do on the spur of the moment if you find yourself with unexpected free time - good with unpredictable weather. The clouds were so low in the morning when we arrived in Juneau that I wasn't sure I'd be able to see anything from on top of the mountain. By afternoon, they'd lifted and I had beautiful views in all directions.