Silver Shadow Alaska Seward to Anchorage

Skipper99

I am sailing on the Silver Shadow from Vancouver to Seward on June 23. I understand that Silversea takes us from Seward to Anchorage aboard a train, but our flight isn't until 8:30 pm. What happens between arrival in Anchorage and getting to the airport? The Silversea info mentions the Hilton, and transfers to the airport, but where do people wait? Are there rooms or lounges? Can you leave luggage and explore Anchorage? I would love to hear from someone who has actually been on this trip. Thanks!

You arrive in Anchorage about 12:30. We had a flight at 9:30pm so needed something to do so we did the SS Anchorage tour - do not waste your money - (if you need to know I will provide details).

SS had a hospitality room at The Captain Hook Hotel (downtown) where our luggage was. I cannot comment if you had other plans but there was lots of luggage there when we arrived about 5pm. They then take you to the airport with shuttles leaving on the hour starting at 6pm.

The SS tour cost $150 pp. If we had to do it again we would hire a cab and say "give me a $100 tour of Anchorage" - that would take a couple of hours then at the airport we would pay the $45 pp to use the Alaska Air first class lounge and hang out until time to go - and net $100.

In any event the train from Seward to Anchorage is absolutely stunning - bring lots of "film". A highlight of our trip (Tokyo to Seward).

Jim

Thanks for the very helpful reply. We had already decided we would skip the SS tour, so you confirmed that we had made a good choice. I'm looking forward to the train! I assume the hospitality room is just a place to wait for a transfer to the airport.

• 2 months later...

I had the exact same question as our flight doesn't leave until 8:30. We have been to Anchorage a couple of times so really not wanting to tour just walk around and eat at our favorite place. Did you find that you can just leave the luggage at the Captain Hook Hotel and then they transport you to the airport when you arrived back from your cruise? We are leaving later this month so would be helpful to know that we can leave our luggage somewhere. Thanks.