Mille Alaska Review - First Cruise ever!

scorchestra

Have not sailed since the dress code was changed from formal to evening chic. I have read what Celebrity says is acceptable. Could you comment on what you actually saw in the dining room on evening chic nights? Currently planning for DH to be in sports coat/tie and me in black pants and very dressy tops. Thanks in advance.

That sounds good. On chic night my husband and son wore tuxedos, but there were only a few other men wearing a tuxedo, so they did wear their tuxedos again. I will say that my guys dressed up in a suit and tie every night for dinner, because my 18 year wanted to do that and felt good about it.

Most men just wore a sports coat many without a tie, some did not even wear a jacket.

That sounds good. On chic night my husband and son wore tuxedos, but there were only a few other men wearing a tuxedo, so they did wear their tuxedos again. I will say that my guys dressed up in a suit and tie every night for dinner, because my 18 year wanted to do that and felt good about it.

Most men just wore a sports coat many without a tie, some did not even wear a jacket.

Agreed.

I noticed that most of the people who had a set time for dinner dressed up more than the people who had select dining though. (Just my observation at the 6:00 seating.)

Day 4

Once again we woke up to beautiful Alaska scenery. We were at our next port in Icy Strait where there is a little town called Honnah. They have a new dock. Apparently it used to be a tendered port, but now they have a very new impressive dock. I had wheelchair service out then a little cart picked me up and took us all the way down to the visitors center. I was quite grateful because it would have been a long walk.

Our excursion wasn't until 2:00, so we did not hurry off the ship. We hung out and just rested in the lounge. I spoke to someone who told me he wasn't even getting off the ship because “there was nothing down there” After hearing him, I was glad that we were not rushing to leave the ship.

We had an early lunch at the burger grill. We had been wanting to try it. We had hamburgers with bacon and mushrooms, served with french fries. My husband wanted a beer, but the beverage guy said he could not have a beer with our package, but only water or soda. That really did not sound right and later I found out that it was the wrong information and that our classic package most certainly does include beer. While most servers were great , this was one of 2 that wasn’t. We still enjoyed our burgers. We then got off the ship.

The visitors center is very nice and the area is so very beautiful. I regretted listening to the man who said that “there was nothing there.” Lesson learned: don't listen to what people say, experience it yourself to see if you like it. I wish we would have gotten off the ship earlier and explored the area. My husband and son immediately saw a whale. The tram and tribal dance show were very nice. The tram takes you next to some beautiful forest. I kept my eyes open for bears, but did not see any. It was fun seeing people come down the zip line and we enjoyed hearing about the natives and their culture. Wonderful port!

Al4-6.jpg

Al%204-2.5.jpg

Day 6

Skagway - We booked the White Summit Pass train. This was a beautiful and at moments slightly scary ride. I had read about that, but glad we did it. Amazing scenery, beautiful sights that you can only see from this train. So glad we did this. It was impressive to go all the way up the Arctic Tundra and see what looked like a bonsai tree forest. Trees grow very small there.

Day 7

Hubbard Glacier

When people found out we were going to Alaska everyone would ask me if we were going to Glacier Bay to which I answered no, we’re going to Hubbard Glacier. Everyone raved about Glacier Bay and I would wonder if we made a mistake by not booking that route. My fears were put to rest today. We arrived very early at Hubbard Glacier. It was stunning!

No more photos, Guys. Instead, here is a video that I put together. Footage by my 18 year old son. Hope you enjoy it. Wait for the post credit scene of the cute otter at Seward.