Santorini advise

adammovies

I will be going to Santorini in august.there will be only one other ship docked.i will go to oia on my own.looking to take picture of the blue churches.is there any place that you recommend for great picture there?

I will be going to Santorini in august.there will be only one other ship docked.i will go to oia on my own.looking to take picture of the blue churches.is there any place that you recommend for great picture there?

Oia is a relatively small town. Assuming you have no major mobility issue, you will easily be able to explore the entire town and its cute streets. One problem with Oia is that as you walk through the streets, you will find yourself stopping every few seconds to take another picture (thank goodness for digital photography) and every picture will look good :). When you first arrive at Oia (assuming you do this on the land side) you will have a short walk into the streets before you get towards the water side where every view is simply stunning. If you arrive by boat (from Fira) you will have lots of photo ops from the boat...and then as you head up the road into the town.

Hank

when we strolled along the main walkway at Oia, we felt like we were walking in a postcard scene. it was so beautiful.

as you stroll along, you'll walk beside a large blue domed building (near where the walkway splits into two). head down any of the streets/walkways nearby and you'll find even more stunning scenes to capture on your camera.....yes, even the one on all the adverts with the three blue domes.

• 1 month later...
Oia is a relatively small town. Assuming you have no major mobility issue, you will easily be able to explore the entire town and its cute streets. One problem with Oia is that as you walk through the streets, you will find yourself stopping every few seconds to take another picture (thank goodness for digital photography) and every picture will look good :). When you first arrive at Oia (assuming you do this on the land side) you will have a short walk into the streets before you get towards the water side where every view is simply stunning. If you arrive by boat (from Fira) you will have lots of photo ops from the boat...and then as you head up the road into the town.

Hank

Hank,

Do you have any idea of what a boat from Fira to Oia would run for two people. I have read a great deal about the various tours but wondering if you were to spend your day in Santorini, where would you focus your time. Port stay unfortunately is only about 6 hrs.

The boat to Oia (when we were there in June and July) was 15 Euros and included a bus back to Fira.

You're lucky there aren't many ships in port - we had 5 or 6 I believe - luckily we went early and got some good photos. After being there about an hour - the tours started showing up and we were walking through Oia in long lines of people. It was a madhouse.

enhance

enhance

• 2 weeks later...
The boat to Oia (when we were there in June and July) was 15 Euros and included a bus back to Fira.

You're lucky there aren't many ships in port - we had 5 or 6 I believe - luckily we went early and got some good photos. After being there about an hour - the tours started showing up and we were walking through Oia in long lines of people. It was a madhouse.

enhance

enhance

The "Official" Santorini Port Web site says THE WATER TAXI SERVICE FROM THE OLD PORT DIRECTLY TO OIA (AMMOUDI PORT) IS NOT AVAILABLE ANY MORE DUE TO LEGAL ISSUES. LAST UPDATE ON MAY 25TH, 2015.

You were there in June and it was running is that correct?

The water taxi between Fira's tender dock and Oia is indeed operating this year for €15, which includes a shuttle up the cliff into the village as well as a bus ticket back to Fira.

Thank you very much. Were you there recently or are you there now?