Compare the Radiance Class versus M-Class

flagger

I have only been on one M-class ship and one Vision class ship. We are doing another M-Class ship in 78 days. Based on comments read here, I would love to find an intinerary that suits us on a Radiance class ship.

For those who have sailed on both, can you compare and contrast the two?

Would I be able to find a TA on a Radiance class ship? Sometimes I think I will just book a short cruise to nowhere just for the cruise credits.

Anyway looking forward to hearing from someone who has sailed on both class of vessels.

Sorry Flagger;

I thought I knew all the RCI ships:

Voyager Family ; Radiance Family ; Vision Family ; Sovereign Family ;

Freedom Of The Seas

and the

Empress Of The Seas

What exactly is the M-Class?

Is that on a different line?

If I knew, I could probably tell you the difference. Radiance is our favorite of all BY FAR.

Flagger,

We have sailed on the Radiance and Brilliance and Constellation and Summit so I can try, but it's really tough since each person's perspective may be quite different. The easy answer is yes, there are TAs (if you mean transatlantic cruises) on Radiance class ships. Both Brilliance and Jewel do Europe and the Caribbean. In fact, our cruise on the Brilliance was from Miami to Barcelona this past April. Great trip!

All of the observations are mine, not those of any cruise expert, travel agent or professional reviewer - just a happy cruiser.

As is a general characterization between Celebrity and RCCL, the Radiance class ships are "glitzier". A little brighter in the colors and decor and seem a little airier. I must say, that more sedate is not necessarily a bad thing, just different.

As a general category, I would give Celebrity an edge in food, but it isn't huge. The dining room service is a step up, but there are always exceptions. The best wait team we have ever had was on the Brilliance. Our experience is that the food in the buffets varies too much between ships for us to say categorically that one line is better than the other. But I think the Windjammer on the Radiance class beats the buffets on Celebrity hands down for layout and organization. The multiple stations as opposed to long cafeteria-like lines just works better.

While I really liked Chops on the Radiance, the M-class specialty restaurant is a better overall "experience". Portofino's was also good and having two different upscale alternative restaurants is a nice feature if you are on a longer cruise.

We liked the overall lounge options a little better on the M-class, but that may be influenced in part because my wife really liked the Martini bar. Plenty of nice places to have a drink or dance on both.

We are very particular about our cabins, with a strong preference for aft. On these 4 ships that is all we had so those are the only cabins I can compare for you. The RCCL D1 Superior Oceanview with Balcony compares to the Celebrity CC (old 1A) category. The D1 cabins are just a little bit larger (about 15 +/- sq feet) and the only real difference I can recall is that the RCL cabins are easier to walk past the desk/dresser when my wife is sitting there. It may be that the cabin is 5 or 6 inches wider, but I never measured it. One of the ships (I think it was the Brilliance) had a curved sliding door on the shower that beats the heck out of the shower curtain. But otherwise, there was nothing so different that I can recall it. Now the balcony on the aft is another story. On the RCCL ships, the aft balconies are very nice and at least twice the size of those on the side, but on the M-class they are even larger. We like to have people visit so that is a real plus for us, but to many people that is just not important. On either one, if you like the idea of the aft with its view, both are fine. One edge to Celebrity if you do like the aft is that they have a third set of elevators and stairs so you don't have to go amidships to go up or down.

That's about what I can remember for now. If you have a particular question, fire away and I will try to answer it or ask my wife as she has a much better memory than I do.

Been on Millie (adults-only cruise) and the Radiance. The Millie, IMHO, is dark and formal. The Radiance has lots of glass and windows and the bright soaring atrium. I preferred the dining room on the Radiance as well. There was more night life and activities on the Radiance (altho Celeb has their great lecture series). I thought the dining room meals were better on the Millie, but the Windjammer on the Radiance was awesome.

I'll be going back on the Radiance in 2 months.

I think Bob is right on the spot. I´ve just returned from Infinity(M-class) a couple of weeks ago while the previous three cruises have been on the Jewel of the Seas (Radiance class).

While I liked the Infinity and wouldn´t hesitate to go back in a minute I have to say that the Jewel would win the race if it were for the same itinerary, price, date.

While Infinity is very classy I like the airy centrum with it´s huge glass walls giving you a seaview all the time on the Jewel. To me the Jewel isn´t to glizzy.

I second Bob´s remarks about the buffet area. Though there´s one thing about the buffet´s I liked better on the Infinity and that´s the 24/7 drink stations that had not only coffee, tea and Ice water, but also milk, lemonade, ice tea and one ro twi choices of juice and that 24/7 and not only during opening hours of the buffet.

Regarding cabins you have the Concierge Class on X which is nice with the perks but only about the same size like a D on RCCL. I would have liked something the size like a JS with the CC perks. JMHO of course. Suites have been way out of price range for me on X, while I had GS on the Jewel. Note this is not a complaint and may have been different at different times and itineraries.

Thank you for your responses. It looks like if I wanted an aft, I would have to grab one of the JS or GS on Deck 10. They restrict D1s to two passengers because there is not a sofabed and for the time being we will be sailing with our daughter. I wonder if there is a lot of noise from the Windjammer above in those Deck 10 Afts. I might have my Travel Agent look into a transatlantic on either class of ships for 2006. I know afts might be gone already, but it won't hurt to look. It was good to get perspective from those who have sailed both.

Archived