Cruise ship art/Park West experience

terracool

You failed to read what I posted. The vast majority of the junk sold by PWG is not art, it is not original anything. It is merely high end (at best) ink jet printer copies of art (gilcee). They are printed off at a cost of pennies a piece and peddled as art. True original oils, water colors, lithos or any other medium are one thing. Knock of dime store copies peddled as "original" are quite another. PWG is (at the very best) slightly dishonest with the description of what they peddle.

You are indeed right that it is important for people to be educated. This is why many people provide truthful input on threads about PWG such as this one.

Ah yes........"Giclée's". The auctioneers love throwing that word around. I've heard the con jobs at the auctions too many times. The sellers go into a panic when I take my pocket loupe out LOL

You failed to read what I posted. The vast majority of the junk sold by PWG is not art, it is not original anything. It is merely high end (at best) ink jet printer copies of art (gilcee). They are printed off at a cost of pennies a piece and peddled as art. True original oils, water colors, lithos or any other medium are one thing. Knock of dime store copies peddled as "original" are quite another. PWG is (at the very best) slightly dishonest with the description of what they peddle.

You are indeed right that it is important for people to be educated. This is why many people provide truthful input on threads about PWG such as this one.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this. This does not match my experience at all.

I went to one of the lectures where they gave some tips on buying and collecting art. It was right in line with advice given routinely for collectibles - buy what you like, don't try to invest unless you are fairly experienced, try to start small and hold larger purchases for when you have more experience, etc. He also described the processes and differences between lithographs, serigraphs, giclee, and "novelty posters". It was a good basic framework. While I am far far from an expert on these things now, at the time I boarded the ship I wouldn't have known a serigraph from an airport tourist postcard.

And as they auctioned (or discussed in the gallery) various pieces, they were very clear on what each piece was, exactly. They were pretty rigorous about emphasizing that litho, seri, giclee, etc are better-than-posters reproduction techniques and NOT original art. There was no way that I could see someone thinking they bought original art for $300 unless they just completely didn't listen or ignored what they heard.

My piece is described as a serigraph. I am not expert enough to really know if it is or it isn't, but it certainly doesn't look like a cheap inkjet copy. It is on wood, as described, and that makes it hard for me to conclude that it was from a cheap inkjet printer.

In the end, I suspect it's possible I could have gotten it for X% cheaper on land. Or maybe I couldn't have gotten on land it at all. I do know that if I saw this hanging on the wall pretty much anywhere with a $650 price tag on it, I would not fall over laughing at the ridiculous price. I think it would be comparable to others of similar size and framing within whatever shop or neighborhood it was in.

Still working on getting a photo. I have to take one plus have never posted a photo here.

Edited by terracool

One of my favorite pieces of art in my house I bought on a Princess Cruise in 2000. I have no idea the name of the art gallery at the time. I paid $100 and no one else bid on it. If it were a poster, I would have bought it as well, but it is not.

So, I guess to each his/her own. I think art auctions are fun to watch, that the auctioneers are funny because they are so self important and giving a schpiel (sp?), and it's worth an hour of my time on a cruise ship. JMHO

Mallory

IThere was no way that I could see someone thinking they bought original art for $300 unless they just completely didn't listen or ignored what they heard.

You can find thousand of original hand produced art for $300 or less. Maybe not on the ship but by many many other artist

You can go to this link and see my fathers work, he limited additions for under 300 and some for more than 300 http://www.laszlobagi.com/serigraphs.html

Scroll to the bottom and press on "Landscapes", "Philadelphia" etc.....

Edited by Laszlo

• 1 year later...

Park West Gallery is the biggest scam. They tell you lots of lies to sell you things. They make you think you "won" raffless and then they tell you you have to pay for the shipping. Do not fall for anything they tell you!

Appalling customer service. I purchased some items on 25 May at a cruise ship and have called and emailed many times since then to make changes to my order. Their systems are not updated and they don't know what's happened with my order. I then got charged to my credit card without me authorizing it. They really have no clue of what they're doing.