scooter theft worry?

OldinJersey

I got my brand new Easy Light Deluxe. This is really the extra light weight featherlight I guess since both made by Tzora.

It does not have a key. I never ever even thought of a scooter made without a removable key! i have been concerned about using it both here and on the cruise, after reading about wheelchairs being grabbed by other cruisers. I had visions of going shopping and leaving it outside the dressing booth while I tried stuff on, bringing the key in with me. Now I am wondering if I will have to devise some chain lock. It is only 46lbs without the battery so even locked someone could just lift it and take it.

It folds up like a baby stroller (which I keep calling it-duh) Do I need to fold it and bring it into the ship dining room to stick in a corner in sight?

Barbara in Jersey

Well, in this day and age I guess people can steal anything, however it's my impression that most folks who "take" wcs on ships do it because they think it's the ship's wheelchair. Since ships don't offer scooters I think you will be OK. Let me clarify that -- I wouldn't be afraid to go in a bathroom or a dressing room and leave your scooter outside, but since it can fold up I would keep it in-sight when in the dining room if possible. And as mentioned on the other thread -- do something to personalize it -- maybe a flowered cushion or a decal or something to show that it really is personal property.

I have to say that I've had lot of reports of rental wcs taken/borrowed on cruise ships (everyone managed to get them back) but so far no reports of anyone grabbing a scooter.

Candy

Have been with Mom on 2 cruises with her Scooters...first time with a big Lark 2 (I think) second with a much smaller lighter model....both have keys we left them in the hall at nite (she did not want a HC room) had no problem but we did remove the battery at night....no problem in any dining area....can park pretty close...waiter sometimes parked it for us!

If someone will carry it off (to steal) a key or not will not matter - however I dont think you will have a problem if you remove the battery.....

Does your ezlite have any kind of lock out switch???

What ship and ports for your cruise....have fun

If you did not want to remove the battery, like outside the dining room, could you just unplug the battery connection? I have taken my scooter on cruises several times, and had only one scare. Most times I have had a H/C cabin so could bring scooter inside, once, I had to leave it outside, in a spot the cabin steward recommended. In that case, we did bring the battery inside at night to charge. The trouble I had was at the dining room. The staff decided that the scooter was in the way in the foyer to the dining room, so someone moved it..............outside and around the atrium. I panicked when I couldn't find it, but was fine once we found it. No one 'fessed up to moving it, so I still don't know if it was the staff, or another passenger...............

Does your ezlite have any kind of lock out switch???

What ship and ports for your cruise....have fun

I called planetmobility with a zillion questions and the salesman (who has been just great and helpful) told me about a kind of switch I could buy-thought he said "kill switch" but didn't write it down. I'll call back when he's had time to forget he told me already! Actually when I am 100% sure I can use this alone.

Can anyone tell me if there is a lockout switch I can buy and have installed?

We are going on our first cruise, on the HAL Zaandam Dec.21-28 (nassau, DR, St. Croix, Halfmoon Cay). I just hope there is a wide age range on board. After we booked I saw many divergent opinions on how good this cruiseline is with food, and how old people are on board - except at Christmas. But am fretting about it. I am bringing all three of my kids - 26, 20 and 16. The older one is finishing law school, the middle one at a conservatory so hairy chest contests would not thrill them but a ship full of 'old' people might disappoint. The 16 year old will be very sad if there are not other teens.

Susie,

I just bought two bicycle chains at Walmart to take with us. They have 4 number combinations and they can be put together to make one long-6 foot chain. Don't know if we'll use them, but we'll have something to lock up the scooter if necessary.

Judy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I got my brand new Easy Light Deluxe. This is really the extra light weight featherlight I guess since both made by Tzora.

It does not have a key. I never ever even thought of a scooter made without a removable key! i have been concerned about using it both here and on the cruise, after reading about wheelchairs being grabbed by other cruisers. I had visions of going shopping and leaving it outside the dressing booth while I tried stuff on, bringing the key in with me. Now I am wondering if I will have to devise some chain lock. It is only 46lbs without the battery so even locked someone could just lift it and take it.

It folds up like a baby stroller (which I keep calling it-duh) Do I need to fold it and bring it into the ship dining room to stick in a corner in sight?

Barbara in Jersey

Barbara, I just called the company about the key issue. They suggested: 1) use a bike lock through each wheel & then around the tiller, & 2) put in "free wheel" position as most people unless they have experience with this particular scooter wouldn't know that this won't work unless the key is turned on.

I hope you're still reading the posts as I was about to order a refurbished Easy Light Deluxe but had some questions. One is about the 5-10 mile range which seems very short. Have you had any problems with this scooter?

Thanks- your reply will help me & possibly others who are thinking about purchasing a scooter.

marilyn

• 2 months later...
I havd a featherlite with a 5-10 mile range but I have twop batteries and I make sure I carry the erxtra one with me in the underseat basket

How far & for how long were you able to drive it before you needed to use the 2nd battery?

Hi ... I just got my first scooter a month ago. An Easy Travel Deluxe. When I asked about security they said they can install an optional key lock in about 20 minutes!! I decided not to opt for it, using the "freewheel" suggestion instead.

As to the other thing of battery range .... it seems to me a 10-mile range is really quite a distance!!! I could never imagine my wife following me around while I burned up 10 miles of battery power!!

Hi ... I just got my first scooter a month ago. An Easy Travel Deluxe. When I asked about security they said they can install an optional key lock in about 20 minutes!! I decided not to opt for it, using the "freewheel" suggestion instead.

As to the other thing of battery range .... it seems to me a 10-mile range is really quite a distance!!! I could never imagine my wife following me around while I burned up 10 miles of battery power!!

who told you they could install a key lock- planet mobility?

i got excited for a few minutes until i recalled a small safe i once bought before realizing that it was light enough for any interested crook to pick up & take, so now i will also rely on the "freewheel" suggestion if i can find out what that is.

yes, 10 miles is quite a lot. also, when i was researching scooters it was very important to me that the speed be as high as possible for a portable scooter, but once i got it i found that i never went "full speed ahead".

thanks for your reply- now i will look for the "freewheel" info.

your1mom (aka marilyn) in the beautiful berkshires of ma.

Your1Mom ... I bought my scooter from ActiveLite in Toronto, Ont. They were the ones who were going to install the key lock.

The freewheeling feature is .... the switch behind the battery pack. The "Drive" or "Freewheel" ? The owner of ActiveLite reminded me that to activate the scooter, you have to put this switch into the drive mode BEFORE flipping the power switch on. Most casual onlookers (joyriders) seeing your scooter parked will not realize this and simply turn on the power switch ... AND of course the scooter will not work.

The other side to this whole security question is the very reason we buy this very light scooter for travelling kind of makes it very easy for the serious thief to make off with it!!! The freewheeling feature as well as a key-lock would simply discourage the casual "borrower". It's like the security on your house or car, ... if they want it bad enough they'll get it....:(

I bought an ActiveLite scooter two years ago and have used it on four cruises and two land-based vacations. I opted for the key lock: you can't start the scooter without the key.

Depending on the cruiseline, I can usually drive the scooter to area near the dining table. If not, I park it inside the dining room door, take out the key and don't worry about it.

You can attached a tag with your name and cabin number for added security. Use a nylon cable tie to attach the tag because they can only be cut off with scissors.

Last year I was in a wheel chair and whenever I had to go into the hospital for check ups or tests, nurses were constantly trying to take my wheelchair - assumed that the chair belonged to the hospital & not one rented or owned by an individual.

I managed to keep it in sight almost constantly. When I'd go out to dinner, waiters were always happy to move my chair to an out of the way spot in the restauraunt then bring it back when I finished dinner.

• 2 weeks later...

We've always rented a scooter for my husband on cruises. They have a key which is removed in the dining room or wherever. We've left it for most of the day on the pool deck and it's always been there. The waiters and bus boys like to park the scooter for my husband and bring it to him when dinner is over. I really wouldn't worry on the ship especially after hearing the explaination about the free wheeling info.

We've always rented a scooter for my husband on cruises. They have a key which is removed in the dining room or wherever. We've left it for most of the day on the pool deck and it's always been there. The waiters and bus boys like to park the scooter for my husband and bring it to him when dinner is over. I really wouldn't worry on the ship especially after hearing the explaination about the free wheeling info.

I bought an ActiveLite scooter two years ago and have used it on four cruises and two land-based vacations. I opted for the key lock: you can't start the scooter without the key.

Depending on the cruiseline, I can usually drive the scooter to area near the dining table. If not, I park it inside the dining room door, take out the key and don't worry about it.

You can attached a tag with your name and cabin number for added security. Use a nylon cable tie to attach the tag because they can only be cut off with scissors.

thanks for further info.

yes, i think i myself would feel more comfortable with the key lock even though i know it would be quite easy for anyone with enough strength to pick up a light weight travel scooter & take it away.

now i need to find someone to install the lock. this is one of the problems living in the boondocks!

thanks for your input!

I will repeat the valuable advice I received a while ago on this message board- I hope I'll remember to follow it:

Tag your wheelchair/scooter with your name & other pertinent info & always be sure it cannot be easily removed.

Believe me a rowdy bunch of teens and preteens will take a scooter given the right opportunity. Just to play with. And you will be the one who will have to go look for it too.:mad:

Do you have any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

FYI: My husband uses a scooter and we have used it on the last 3 cruises. Last year, on the Enchantment, we had 3 incidents that left us quite upset. Two occurred while we were in the theater watching the stage shows. We sat in the balcony on the floor and parked the scooter right next to the chair my husband was sitting in. While we were watching the show, someone came up, jumped on the scooter and tried desperately to make it go pushing every button and turnign every know he could find. My husband immediately grabbed the tiller and asked the man to please get off. The guy was drunk and remarked to my hubby that it must be nice to have a "golf cart" to ride around. We ignored him and he went away. At this time my husband folded the seat down hoping this would deter anyone from doing this again. Unbelieveably, another man actually sat down on the folded seat and of course we immediately heard a loud crack as he had broken the folding mechanism. By this time, we were very upset and my husband was quite vocal and told the man he could pay to have the seat repaired. Of course, this never happened but those seated around us were applauding and very supportive. Another time we had the scooter parked in an out-of-the-way spot while dining and suddenly noticed that it was gone. One of the crew was joy-riding and then not knowing how to use the scooter, lost control and ran into a display. So, now we never leave it unattended and always insist it be beside our table in the dining room. Haven't had any other problems since this. Perhaps these were just isolated incidents but 3 times on one cruise makes us wonder. I would never leave a scooter unattended on a cruise ship. As the previosu poster said, if someone wants to "play" with it they will. It's amazing how many people don't realize these types of machines are someones means of mobility. Seems they think they are toys. Be careful.

Do you have any suggestions?

Basically I'm either sittinging in it or it's in my room. The only place I wasn't in the chair was in the diningroom. Somethimes you can stay in your chair sometimes not, depending on where your table is. At this time I gave it to my waiter and he parked it and brought me the key. I really had no alturnitive. He brought it back as soon as dinner ended. There was a man on our cruise who had his skooter taken for "joy rides" by some teens 3 different time. I would have been histerical. Luckily he had some nice people help him find it. I really wonder sometimes what cruising is comming to.

I must be a trusting soul. We have taken 3 different scooters on 18 different cruises and never once gave a thought to the fact someone might take off with it. So far no trouble either. we did have a drunk spill a drink all over it one time when it was parked outside the cabin.

Archived