solo cruising safety (ports/excursions)

missj2016

I will be going on my first cruise/solo cruise on 01-28-17. I'm excited and I don't mind going it alone but I am however concerned about my safety. At this point, I'm unsure if I will be going on excursions. My question is, do any solo travelers, especially women feel safe walking the ports alone? Do you try to join someone to wonder around? I will be going to Freeport, Nassau, and Half Moon Cay. I know people say to book excursions privately because its cheaper but my concern is how sketchy that can be. I also don't want to risk missing the ship and taking tours alone.

I will be going on my first cruise/solo cruise on 01-28-17. I'm excited and I don't mind going it alone but I am however concerned about my safety. At this point, I'm unsure if I will be going on excursions. My question is, do any solo travelers, especially women feel safe walking the ports alone? Do you try to join someone to wonder around? I will be going to Freeport, Nassau, and Half Moon Cay. I know people say to book excursions privately because its cheaper but my concern is how sketchy that can be. I also don't want to risk missing the ship and taking tours alone.

So that you know, Cruise Critic has forums for most ports - that might help you with decisions and piece of mind.

Half Moon Cay is a private island for one or two cruise lines. I doubt there will be any safety concerns there that are different for any other travellers - most might be dealing with too much drinking, undue care if snorkelling, and trying to keep your 'stuff' safe. There is a thread on this solo forum about keeping your stuff (key, money, phone) safe when swimming that is worth reading. As a solo woman, I see no threats there.

Nassau - also another recent report here of a woman who wanted to see some famous steps - went and lived to tell the tale. In the town, there is no problem to wander. I did get my spidey sense up when I got to the government house. I wanted to go over the hill (but can't remember where to - it was 8 years ago) and I felt better turning back. I have since travelled a number of foreign countries alone and may feel quite different about Nassau. I don't know Freeport, but would assume similar as it is also Bahamas. Personally, I don't think any of these places require excursions. I always feel more confident and empowered when I research a place myself, review the maps, what to do, and even use the TripAdvisor or CruiseCritic forums before I go - and when I arrive I feel I have some familiarity with the place.

So that you know, Cruise Critic has forums for most ports - that might help you with decisions and piece of mind.

Half Moon Cay is a private island for one or two cruise lines. I doubt there will be any safety concerns there that are different for any other travellers - most might be dealing with too much drinking, undue care if snorkelling, and trying to keep your 'stuff' safe. There is a thread on this solo forum about keeping your stuff (key, money, phone) safe when swimming that is worth reading. As a solo woman, I see no threats there.

Nassau - also another recent report here of a woman who wanted to see some famous steps - went and lived to tell the tale. In the town, there is no problem to wander. I did get my spidey sense up when I got to the government house. I wanted to go over the hill (but can't remember where to - it was 8 years ago) and I felt better turning back. I have since travelled a number of foreign countries alone and may feel quite different about Nassau. I don't know Freeport, but would assume similar as it is also Bahamas. Personally, I don't think any of these places require excursions. I always feel more confident and empowered when I research a place myself, review the maps, what to do, and even use the TripAdvisor or CruiseCritic forums before I go - and when I arrive I feel I have some familiarity with the place.

Thank you for your reply. I have read a couple forums here. I will search for more. I know I read about the recent spike in crime that's what concerned me. I hope to venture out some because it don't feel like it makes since to get to a new location and not explore to see what there is to offer. I'll definitely be conscious of my surroundings though.

Half Moon Cay is a private beach island. If you are interested in doing a beach day then no need for any excursions.

Nassau Bahamas is very easy to do on your own, I have been there maybe 10 times solo. There is so many things that you can actually walk to, that is exactly what I did.

There is many stores nearby walking distance, there is a beach called Jankanno Beach, very easy to walk to. My favorite is Ardastra Zoo and Gardens. I have walked there a few times on my visits to Nassau. If you are interested just grab a map in a large building after you get off the boat. They actually have this tour from NCL but they charge I think a little over 50.

http://ardastra.com/

Half Moon Cay is a private beach island. If you are interested in doing a beach day then no need for any excursions.

Nassau Bahamas is very easy to do on your own, I have been there maybe 10 times solo. There is so many things that you can actually walk to, that is exactly what I did.

There is many stores nearby walking distance, there is a beach called Jankanno Beach, very easy to walk to. My favorite is Ardastra Zoo and Gardens. I have walked there a few times on my visits to Nassau. If you are interested just grab a map in a large building after you get off the boat. They actually have this tour from NCL but they charge I think a little over 50.

http://ardastra.com/

Thanks for the information! I will look into doing some of the things you mentioned. I'm actually sailing on Carnival but for my next cruise I'm considering NCL.

Thanks for the information! I will look into doing some of the things you mentioned. I'm actually sailing on Carnival but for my next cruise I'm considering NCL.

One of my experiences was a little perplexing once I got out of the tourist area walking. I was certain that I was being followed so I found 2 other tourists and asked if I could walk with them back into town and I did. Only time I felt threatened. Junkanoo Beach is very nice and clean. It didn't use to be. They have a little bar area with umbrellas and sofas on the beach. This was in Nassau BTW.

Edited by yellowbird23

yellowbird23-I would have done the same by asking to walking back with someone else. I will definitely check out that beach you mentioned. Man those excursions are so expensive that's why I'm trying to see what else I could do besides stay on the ship. Thanks for the input!

I would just like to go to the beach and sit in the sand and snorkel. Any suggestions as what to do with my beach bag with towels, cabin key, money etc while i am in the water?:confused: I will be doing this in Hawaii and the Caribbean.

Thanks

I would just like to go to the beach and sit in the sand and snorkel. Any suggestions as what to do with my beach bag with towels, cabin key, money etc while i am in the water?:confused: I will be doing this in Hawaii and the Caribbean.

Thanks

Most are suggesting waterproof bags so that you can hold on to your items while enjoying the water activities.

Thanks

I just leave my stuff on the sand, no ever takes anything, and I have been to most Caribbean Islands with over 23 cruises. In Oahu, I did put my money in a waterproof small case that you put on your neck.

Edited by cruiseelady

I don't know those ports (I have only been to the Caribbean once or twice in my life), but I have wandered around cities and beaches alone in many places in Europe, North America, Hawaii, and New Zealand. Next spring I'll be wandering around Tokyo on my own.

I don't know those ports (I have only been to the Caribbean once or twice in my life), but I have wandered around cities and beaches alone in many places in Europe, North America, Hawaii, and New Zealand. Next spring I'll be wandering around Tokyo on my own.

I'm going to take my chances and venture but just be cautious of my surroundings. The only port I'm considering doing an excursion is in Freeport because it doesn't seem like there is anything close by.

I haven't been to the ports you're going to (don't care for the Caribbean), but I've traveled solo to many places and never had an issue with walking around by myself. I always research before hand to make sure I don't wander into a "seedy" area. I'm always aware of my surroundings. It's the same here at home--I live in a metropolitan area and am often by myself when downtown and haven't worried about it.

I don't book through the cruise line for excursions and not because it's cheaper. I do it because my experience has been that you get a more personal experience and with fewer people. Again, I do my research before hand. If you choose a reputable vendor you'll be no less safe than if you're on an excursion you booked through the ship--they use vendors as well. On my last cruise, we visited Tangier, Morocco and one of the our roll call members said he'd feel safer on a ship's excursion than a private one because he wanted to avoid being targeted as a tourist. Many of us pointed out that if you're with a group of 50 people then your chances of being targeted are higher than they would be on a smaller tour of 8 to 10 people.

Just be smart, pay attention to what's going on around you, and research before you go.

Have a great time!!

:D:D:D

I am a senior solar cruiser. I also book with the group excursions for safety reasons. Although, I have wandered on my own in the Alaska and California ports, but I have not hired taxis to take me places alone. I often take an excursion that gives you a few hour overview of the area and then go back if I see anything really interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk