I am so disappointed!!!!

barbidoll

Any cruise line that wants to run cruises from Texas to Maine can do so, they just need to have a US flag ship, and they will have the market all to themselves, to charge whatever price the market will bear. If Carnival were to flag one of their ships US, and place it on the Puerto Rico to mainland US route, they would have the field all to themselves, without worry that someone would beat them to flagging a ship US and kicking them off the US to Puerto Rico route.

And to quote the report you linked earlier:

" The Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA, 2007) polled its own members on their

sentiments toward the potential repeal of the PVSA and reported that “While a reformed

Passenger Vessel Services Act might add some new U.S. ports to cruise itineraries, most of our

members believe that this would not be significant, especially in light of the restrictions that

likely would be attached.” Thus CLIA is currently not advocating a change to the PVSA. "

Note the bolded part. While a small minority of the cruising population, while especially vocal here on CC because of their experience as cruisers, feel that they are being cheated by the PVSA, the cruise lines see this as of no account, since it wouldn't affect their bottom line.

Here's another article to read, this pertains more to the PVSA's bigger cousin the Jones Act, but if one cabotage law falls, the other would surely fall soon after:

Note the nearly half a million jobs and the $29 billion in wages, and $92 billion in output generated by the Jones Act.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjQsarVxLXNAhXHBsAKHdEeACUQFggcMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftransportationinstitute.org%2Fjones-act%2F&usg=AFQjCNHK0SWgXuRQ2OyX-2gIyBBm0JLD0A

chengkp,

Thanks for the information. You convinced me that the Jones Act should not be repealed. However, I don't agree about the PVSA.

The Jones act for your information was started right after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Huh? The Jones Act is the "Merchant Marine Act of 1920". Bit before Pearl Harbor. Perhaps you are thinking of the "Merchant Marine Act of 1936", which was instituted by Roosevelt to bolster our merchant marine for the upcoming war, but again, bit before Pearl.

Huh? The Jones Act is the "Merchant Marine Act of 1920". Bit before Pearl Harbor. Perhaps you are thinking of the "Merchant Marine Act of 1936", which was instituted by Roosevelt to bolster our merchant marine for the upcoming war, but again, bit before Pearl.

Yes, I know that. I'm fairly up on my maritime history.

Click on the link below. Perhaps you may get a chuckle out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums