Chip and pin cards for taxis in Copenhagen

Was wondering if anyone had been in Copenhagen recently and if they were able to use a chip and signature credit card to pay for their taxi fare? Will only be in town overnight and wanted to avoid making an ATM withdrawal just to cover our taxi from the hotel to Oceankaj especially since it would not be a definitive amount.

Do the taxis really ONLY accept chip and pin cards?

Was wondering if anyone had been in Copenhagen recently and if they were able to use a chip and signature credit card to pay for their taxi fare? Will only be in town overnight and wanted to avoid making an ATM withdrawal just to cover our taxi from the hotel to Oceankaj especially since it would not be a definitive amount.

I paid for our taxi from the ship to the airport this past Thursday in Copenhagen with my chip and signature Visa card - no problems.

I paid for our taxi from the airport to hotel and hotel to ship at the beginning of our cruise with cash.

Edited by mek

We just returned from Copenhagen (two weeks ago) and took taxis four times. I have a card with a chip but no PIN; it was never a problem. I just had to sign the receipt, i.e. sign the screen on the little hand-held credit card device. They gave me a printed receipt.

That was the case for taxis, tickets at Tivoli, restaurants, etc.

Edited by Kellie in Texas

We just returned from Copenhagen (two weeks ago) and took taxis four times. I have a card with a chip but no PIN; it was never a problem. I just had to sign the receipt, i.e. sign the screen on the little hand-held credit card device. They gave me a printed receipt.

That was the case for taxis, tickets at Tivoli, restaurants, etc.

This isn't even a new development. It was the case one year ago when we were in Copenhagen four days post-cruise. If there is an occasional problem it is a transmission problem connecting to the bank's satellite link not the lack of PINs on US credit cards.

The short answer is that it's a moot point. No matter how advertised or claimed by bank employees or whatever, 99.9% of credit cards being issued in the USA are chip and signature preferred. It is next to impossible to acquire a chip and pin USA credit card that will default to pin. In the last seveal years, thave have hardly been any instances where there was a problem with a USA chip and signature card anywhere.

Edited by MATHA531

• 2 weeks later...

you will need a chip card and they will ask you to sign instead of using a pin #. Cab fare from the airport in Copenhagen to Oceankaj is about $66 USD. From Central Station to Oceankaj is about $33 USD. If you wanted to save, you could catch the train from the airport to Central Station and catch a cab from there. Of course it depends on how many in your party. Enjoy your cruise - we did. Also you don't tip cabs in Copenhagen. We used our chip card in all ports. Had very little currency from the country we were traveling in.