Decent inexpensive waterproof camera?

gotscrapz

Can anyone recommend a decent inexpensive waterproof camera? Like under $100 preferably?

I have a really nice DLSR with multiple lenses that I usually drag around, but I want to pack lighter and be more in the moment of the vacation rather than worrying about that perfect shot...

Thinking a cheap point and shoot waterproof camera would be best since I am doing water activities at every port.

Thanks!

Can anyone recommend a decent inexpensive waterproof camera? Like under $100 preferably?

I have a really nice DLSR with multiple lenses that I usually drag around, but I want to pack lighter and be more in the moment of the vacation rather than worrying about that perfect shot...

Thinking a cheap point and shoot waterproof camera would be best since I am doing water activities at every port.

Thanks!

Recently I searched on Amazon and was overwhelmed with the number of under $100 waterproof cameras are out there. I would search and read reviews.

I'm still looking so if anyone has specific recommendations I'm listening!

I have a Panasonic DMC-TS25 that I bought for right around $100. It's a great camera for what you're looking for. I have taken it on waterslides & gotten it wet many times, and it still works great. But I have not taken it snorkeling yet, only minimal saltwater exposure. It's a small camera that easily fits in a pocket, easily smaller than a phone, and it takes great video. I use it all the time, whether I'm around water or not.

I have 2 Canon D10's and a Canon D20. They are closer to $200 but I think they are worth it. If you check for refers on the Canon website you can often find them on sale. We have taken them in salt water many times.

We also have a Fuji (not sure of model) that I got on EBay but it has a pretty big delay. It has not been in the water yet.

I also have a Nikon S40 ($140) that is pretty good. It's been on one trip with no issues.

I love the Canon though.

My wife is a photographer and shoots Canon so we are a little biased.

I picked up a GoPro knockoff off of Amazon for our cruise next month for around $40. The brand is "California Sugar", comes w/ the waterproof housing, it's got a 2" LCD screen on it and wifi so you can connect your phone to it and control it via your phone. I figure between that and my camera phone I don't think I'll need to bring my DSLR.

Edited by sushi_tampa

We have two Fuji XP70 waterproof cameras that we use for snorkeling and they take EXCELLENT underwater photos. (I think the newer version is an XP90.) Very easy to operate and colors are vibrant and clear. Highly recommend.

We have the FujiXP80 and agree---great pictures. The XP90 is now $50 off at both Sam's club and Costco--so it'll come to about $139.

I have a knock off SJCam from ebay. It's actually a large company and the camera works great. It ships directly from the factory in China though, so it may take a little while for it to arrive. Took around 3-4 weeks for mine to arrive.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

we bought an olympus tough for our upcoming cruise. Mitsugirly's cruise reviews sold us on it (if you check her reviews that's what she uses for all of her snorkeling excursions). We got a NIB off ebay for $140, but if you were open to used or factory refurbished (or willing to wait around for an auction) you can get them for less.

We have the FujiXP80 and agree---great pictures. The XP90 is now $50 off at both Sam's club and Costco--so it'll come to about $139.

A 3rd recommending the Fuji.

We have an older variant, the XP50, and it has served us well now since '12.

I"m not sure of its deepest rating, but I've free swam down to approx 20' w/o issue. That's about as far as I'd take it as I think I was a little deeper than for which is rated.

I think the newer version are capable of even deeper (30'+).

Another vote for the Lumix TS25. We've had ours for a couple years and have taken it on 2 cruises as well as use it in / around our pool. Love it!

You can get the newer version TS30 on Amazon for about $139.00.

I'm going to buy one for my daughter... :D

Mike

I got one one Amazon for around $40 that I really like. I think it is SVG 800 or something like that. Don't have it with me. Photos are good. It uses 2 AAA batteries. It also has a back camera for taking selfies.

Thanks!

My sister and I went to Hawaii and had lots of water sports and snorkeling booked. I didn't want to bring 2 cameras so I bought one that would take good pictures on land as well as under water. Paid more than I would have liked, but it is a good, sturdy, all purpose camera that takes beautiful shots! Looks like they have gone down in price since I bought it (Paid just over $300 without the cards and extra batteries a year ago) I am very picky about my photos and this one, as well as taking great underwater shots also takes wonderful shots on land - I recommend it to anyone who just wants to bring 1 camera on a trip that includes water sports but still wants super pictures! https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Cleaning-Original-Accessories-Included/dp/B01H2MHA88/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1466441329&sr=8-17&keywords=Nikkon+underwater+camera

Edited by Lurkyloo

I just got a SJCAM SJ4000 Wifi (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VFVUAMQ)

It was $70 when I bought it and came with two extra batteries and a whole boatload of mounts for putting it on bikes, helmets, etc.

Works well, at least in the pool. No real instructions so you have to google for everything, but does the job.

Get a floating strap on ebay too.

I second that - definitely get a floating wrist strap! They're cheap on Amazon, too, and alleviate any anxiety of handing off the camera while you're in the water.

We have one "kind of" like this, and like it because tightens up around your wrist easily and you can just click off the floating piece when you're out of the water. There are lots of cheap options that would work!

https://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Floating-Underwater-Waterproof-Camcorders/dp/B0054L1SOM/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1466543300&sr=8-9&keywords=floating+camera+strap

61CBYRUqeOL._SL1024_.jpg