Likelihood of NOT getting an upsell offer...

s01836162

Just to try to avoid some confusion here, upsell and upgrade are not the same thing, they seem to be universally used on these boards a lot.

-Matt

To me the difference is whether you pay more or not. If you have a guarantee cabin and you get moved into a better category of cabin *for no additional cost* that is an upgrade.

If you reserved or were planning to reserve one type of cabin, but a TA or PCC or even just the website bot convinced you to pay some amount more for a better category of cabin, that is an upsell.

But on CC, I feel like upsell is most often used to mean a TA or PCC offered you a better category of cabin for an additional amount of money that is less than the current price difference between the two cabin categories.

To me the difference is whether you pay more or not. If you have a guarantee cabin and you get moved into a better category of cabin *for no additional cost* that is an upgrade.

If you reserved or were planning to reserve one type of cabin, but a TA or PCC or even just the website bot convinced you to pay some amount more for a better category of cabin, that is an upsell.

But on CC, I feel like upsell is most often used to mean a TA or PCC offered you a better category of cabin for an additional amount of money that is less than the current price difference between the two cabin categories.

An upsell is a cruise line offer below current prices. For example to go from a balcony to the haven right now for my sailing would be something like $2,500 per person. The upsell department is offering it for $1,000 per person.

Anything done through NCL General sales or a TA would to me be an upgrade.

To me a guarantee assignment would be neither of these.

-Matt

An upgrade is sometimes discounted when the going rate for a certain category has decreased, and is done through the general NCL number, by you or TA...it can happen anytime after final payment or even before.

Upsell is a special department at NCL that ONLY does upsells. They were traditionally only offered to a select few and you had to wait for a call or email. This usually occurred a month or so out from sail date.

Now, the NCL Upsell line is open to anyone to call and enquire about an Upsell offer...based on currant category booked and unsold higher categories.

The price for an Upsell is significantly discounted. I got and Upsell from aft facing balcony to deluxe owners suite for less then half the going rate.

It is sort of like winning the lottery when you know half the numbers they are going to be drawn...no guarantee, but possible to increase you odds a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We're just under 30 days from our sailing. We booked a gty balcony (so no perks). If I called the upsell number and they offered a room at a price that I'm able to live with, do we get any of the perks (UBP, internet, etc)?

Thank you

Pretty sure no. I had two promos before Upsell, and still have two promos. You get whatever promos you originally booked with. Unless you get the Owners or Villa ( with theses you get the three or six bottles of alcohol and the mixes, canned sodas)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We're just under 30 days from our sailing. We booked a gty balcony (so no perks). If I called the upsell number and they offered a room at a price that I'm able to live with, do we get any of the perks (UBP, internet, etc)?

Thank you

No, you keep same free at sea promos as originally booked or in the case of GTY's none.

-Matt

Has anyone been able to get through to the upsell department yesterday or today? I tried calling around 3 pm EST yesterday and again just now. I was with the "on hold" music and advertisements for about 20 minutes each time and gave up. any previous time I called I got through with in a minute or two. I'm hoping they haven't stopped taking incoming calls...

-Matt

I made three calls 2 weeks ago, the first to ask about any upsells, second to ask which particular cabins were available because I forgot to ask the first time, and the third to book it. Of the three calls I got the same woman on the first and third calls. It's probably not a huge department people wise so there can probably be long wait times at certain times. Luckily my waits were three minutes or less.

Edited by jimsig

Thank you

As other posters have said you don't get any of the booking perks/promos. However if you upsell to a suite or better you do get the suite "perks" such as priority check-in, priority disembarkation at the ports, breakfast and lunch at Moderno, as well as concierge and butler service.