How do we get to Pinel Island?

How do you get to Pinel Island from where the cruise ship docks?

How long does it take to get there?

What would the transportation costs be?

Is there a fee to sit on the beach there other than the cost of chair/umbrella rentals and food & drink?

We stopped there once at the end of a boat/snorkel tour, but only for an hour and it was so cool there that I've always wanted to go back and spend more time there.

I don't know the answers to these questions, but the good folks at traveltalkonline.com will sure help you. Click on SXM (St. Martin) when that opens and ask away. We will be spending our 14th February in Grand Case and sorry to say never have made it over to Pinel. Our kids love it (requires a short ferry ride to get over) and they go every other year. We are taking our two grandchildren on a Gem cruise for Fourth of July -- first time for all of us -- and hope we love it as much as St. Martin!

Edited by Dziadzi

How do you get to Pinel Island from where the cruise ship docks? Taxi or rental car to ferry terminal. Ferry costs 10 euros or 12 dollars round trip.

How long does it take to get there? About 30 minutes - assuming no big traffic problems.

What would the transportation costs be? Maybe about $60 RT whether by taxi or rental car - assuming just two in taxi. Plus cost of ferry.

Is there a fee to sit on the beach there other than the cost of chair/umbrella rentals and food & drink? No.

Thank you Snorkelaway. I am just now seeing this for the first time. I appreciate all the helpful info.

Is it easy to rent a car after getting off the cruise ship? I've heard that there won't be taxi's waiting for you when you get off the ferry. So I'm thinking a rental car may be a safer bet. Provided it's an easy drive.

I understand that it is easy to rent a car at the port - have never rented at Port myself - I understand it may cost about $60 for the day, depending on type of vehicle of course.

I always advise cruisers not to drink and drive on the island - if you do not have a DD who does not drink, then I suggest that you take a taxi. It is not that hard to get a taxi to pick you up at the Ferry terminal - you just have to leave some extra time in schedule.

Is the drive to the Pinel Ferry Terminal easy?

It certainly is very easy once you have done it. Should not be hard for first timer if you familiarize yourself with route before you go.

You can go to Google Maps and ask for directions between Port of Sint Maarten and Caribbean Paddling (right next to ferry terminal), Saint Martin - that should bring up directions - if they give an option of roads, choose the Suckergarden route. After looking at route on maps, use Google Earth and get feel for how it will look.

• 1 month later...
I understand that it is easy to rent a car at the port - have never rented at Port myself - I understand it may cost about $60 for the day, depending on type of vehicle of course.

I always advise cruisers not to drink and drive on the island - if you do not have a DD who does not drink, then I suggest that you take a taxi. It is not that hard to get a taxi to pick you up at the Ferry terminal - you just have to leave some extra time in schedule.

Is the drive to the Pinel Ferry Terminal easy?

It certainly is very easy once you have done it. Should not be hard for first timer if you familiarize yourself with route before you go.

You can go to Google Maps and ask for directions between Port of Sint Maarten and Caribbean Paddling (right next to ferry terminal), Saint Martin - that should bring up directions - if they give an option of roads, choose the Suckergarden route. After looking at route on maps, use Google Earth and get feel for how it will look.

You state that it is not that hard to get taxi to pick you up at the Ferry Terminal.

Do you know how we would go about getting a taxi if there is not one there waiting? Do we need to use our cell phone and make an international call? Or is there a better way? I honestly don't even know how to go about making an international call.

And if we need to be back on our ship by 4:30, what is the best time to catch the ferry back to the ferry terminal in time?

Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...
You state that it is not that hard to get taxi to pick you up at the Ferry Terminal.

Do you know how we would go about getting a taxi if there is not one there waiting? Do we need to use our cell phone and make an international call? Or is there a better way? I honestly don't even know how to go about making an international call.

And if we need to be back on our ship by 4:30, what is the best time to catch the ferry back to the ferry terminal in time?

Thanks for your help.

Personally I would not chance going to and from the Cul de Sac ( ferry island to Pinel Island) with an onboard time of 4:30 via taxi. If you have a late departure but not a 5 or 6 departure. You might get lucky and find a nice passenger on the ferry that would call a taxi for you but there's no guarantee. I wouldn't have a clue about using my phone on the island either. :)

Edited by Karysa