Personal choice dining tipping?

omw279

Your tips are automatically charged to your onboard account and then distributed amongst the entire dining staff. Some folks feel this has contirbuted to a decrease in personal attention from the Anytime dining staff, but many other report fabulous serving teams, as well.

Dining room servers' tips are automatically added to your shipboard account, as are the room steward's tips. If you wish, you may leave it in place, and the ship will distribute them accordingly.

You may, of course, adjust them as you may see fit.

I was on the Coral Princess in Dec 04, and we did the Personal Choice Dining. The first night we liked our waiter very much, and he encouraged us to ask for him for the rest of the cruise- we did, and ended up tipping extra at the end of the cruise for the good service we got.

We tip anyway since we have a large group (5 kids and 2 adults). We usually ended up with the same table since it seated 8 people (not the most requested table in the place). After we tipped the first night, we got extra special service at dinner.

I feel that I want to put a face with the tip and therefore we always tip ourselves. We adjusted the tip on NCL (tipped $40 a day rather than $70) and then we gave tips to those we suplied personal service.

If one pays the "standard tip" that is on the shipboard account then any extra tip made for special service goes to the waiter or steward, not to the shared account.

I like to take note of the name of the server or other staff and make sure they are recognized, by first commending their service to the maitre'd verbally, and then by a commendation card (You made my cruise ...) or envelope with a cash tip later in the cruise.

Like Growl Tiger, we will ask for a waiter if we find one we like (we usually do). That does not go unnoticed by the the dining room management either - and it is a great reminder by name that the waiter is doing something special. These sorts of things add up and are considered when it comes time for contract renewal for the waiter - that way we may see them again on another cruise.

We were on CP in March and went with the automatic tipping for the "Personal Choice Dining and Room Steward"! That was the only fair way to tip for the Personal Choice Dining Rooms.

Archived