stupid question...

honeymoon4ever

On several packing lists and tips I have seen "over the door shoe holder" for bathroom stuff.

Do you hook it on the inside, or outside of the bathroom door? Will the door still shut?

Also, has anyone used the "hang-in-the-closet" type of plastic/canvas shelves in the princess closets? Are they helpful? Is there enough room for them?

There is enough room in the closet in the Grand class ships for the hanging shelves, shoe thing. The over door type usually has flat hooks on top that allow the door to close. It hangs on the inside of the door. It is handy for those who have a lot of toiletry items or travel with more than two in a cabin.

I hung mine from the towel bar in the bath room. This item, in my opinion, is the best thing to pack along with more money of course. I used 1/2 for my stuff and the other 1/2 for my hubby's stuff. We always knew where things were. I got mine from the $1 store and will use it again for my 3rd cruise in February. I also take it on long weekends when we stay at a hotel. It works great!

I have had a problem with the over-the-door type interfering with full door closure on a number of ships, and they are often too bulky. I found this one recently that worked great on our last cruise (3 of us in the cabin). It hangs from the hook on the back of the bathroom door.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?PRODID=59822&CATID=160&searchId=1741554&itemIndex=1

I also take my own travel toiletries kit (from LL Bean) and hang it from one of the towel bars.

Don't want to be a wet blanket, but we never found a need for one of these shoe holders. We travel with the usual amount of stuff and always have plenty of room in the bathroom for it. Never needed duct tape either.:D

We hang our shoe organizer on the outside of the bathroom door and find it invaluable for all those "loose things" that would drive me crazy if they were all over the cabin. We travel with a family of four and it works great for asparin, toiletries, extra film, yellow sticky notes, pens, suntan lotion, you name it! It keeps the cabin organized and then we can all get to things that we need if we're not in the head! ALso, we all know where to find everything this way!

All of these tips are fantastic. I don't know how to "pack light", and I can't stand not being able to find stuff when I need it. My husband would probably be fine if you dropped him off on the ship with nothing but a toothbrush and a bathing suit. Me.... I feel the need to be prepared for nothing short of an apocalyptic type disaster. LOL (perhaps then the duct tape might be useful?)

Having these organizational tools and tips will certainly help me feel more comfortable in our cabin.

On several packing lists and tips I have seen "over the door shoe holder" for bathroom stuff.

Do you hook it on the inside, or outside of the bathroom door? Will the door still shut?

Also, has anyone used the "hang-in-the-closet" type of plastic/canvas shelves in the princess closets? Are they helpful? Is there enough room for them?

To tell you the truth, we bought one of those once and never needed to use it. We've always found there to be plenty of space for storage....and we pack WAY too much stuff!

Of those kinda things that are suggested to bring we HAVE always needed the powerbar and extension cord.

Another one we like to bring is a little fan to help circulate the air and mask any bothersome foot traffic noises in the hallway outside of our cabin. When we fly in and out of a port we usually stop by a local store on the way to the port and buy an inexpensive one then leave it for our cabin steward when we leave so we don't have to pack it. A small battery operated, illuminated, alarm clock is on our list of must haves too

We stopped bringing the duct tape, bungee cords roman candles and crock pot a long time ago ;)

I also found that mine came in handy for much, much more than just "toiletry" items. What I liked about it hanging outside the door was that I could get to my stuff when my roomie was inside the bathroom. Also, I was always up much earlier than she was, so I could (with the help of my little flashlight I always bring..) get things I needed early in the a.m. when she was still asleep without having to open drawers, rummage through them, and make all sorts of noise whilst doing so. Much nicer and quieter to just have those things in those clear plastic pockets, ready for me to just reach in and grab it. I'm all gung-ho for shoe organizers with clear pockets!!! :D

We hang our shoe organizer on the outside of the bathroom door and find it invaluable for all those "loose things" that would drive me crazy if they were all over the cabin. We travel with a family of four and it works great for asparin, toiletries, extra film, yellow sticky notes, pens, suntan lotion, you name it! It keeps the cabin organized and then we can all get to things that we need if we're not in the head! ALso, we all know where to find everything this way!

I also take my own travel toiletries kit (from LL Bean) and hang it from one of the towel bars.

I was going to buy an organizer for the bathroom then remembered my LL Bean toiletry bag does the same thing--lots of pockets and a hanging hook.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=personal-organizer&categoryId=34904&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=4525&cat4=2936&shop_method=pp&feat=dp50

Speaking of those areas, is the closet on the balcony cabins a walk in and just exactly where is it located? It is inside near the bathroom for privacy? Once when we were on a cruise the closet was right out in the area by the beds and there was no privacy! Just my DH for our upcoming cruise, but I was wondering if it was a walk in type or just doors opening. I love all of the suggestions for what to bring!

Best tips for men packing.

This is what you need:

2 pairs of shorts

1 pair of long pants

the (tennis) shoes on your feet

toiletries but not shampoo, conditioner or any kind of lotion

something nice for formal night- suit is fine- tux from ebay is better- shoes to match

shirts- a few (one kinda nice) if you don't plan on buying any on the cruise, one or two if you do

swim suit- please no speedos, unless you live in France and actually speak French

socks for formal night- otherwise not necessary

fill remaining space in luggage with booze protected by bubble wrap

thats it

Took the shoe rack on our first cruise and never again. There is plenty of storage between the bathroom and the shelves in the closet area. I thought about it again before our Dawn 10 cruise and glad I didn't take it. We had plenty of room. It was only hubby and I so if we were the whole family maybe it would be good to have it. Otherwise, no. Happy cruising!!

We just came off the CB Eastern Caribbean run yesterday. One of the tips I found on here was the plastic door hanging shoe thingy. I bought one, made sure hubby packed it... and the only thing we kept in it all week was ... SHOES. Go figure.

The one we purchased would not work on either the door to the cabin or on the bathroom door, so we hung it in the center of the closet. We found there to be more than ample hanging closet space, plus 2 shelves. Also a very nice little linen type closet (also contained the safe). Next to the bed were two nightstands with 2 drawers each, and the desk with 3 drawers. We had more than enough room.

Another hint I saw on this board was a highlighter for the Patter. Well, wouldn't you know I forgot to pack one?! Not sure if we would have used it or not. We would plan out the next day each evening, and just verify our times and locations during the day as needed.

Archived